"bad cards" in "good spots"

Discussions On How We Use Cards For Divination
Geekuma

"bad cards" in "good spots"

Post by Geekuma » 04 Dec 2017, 23:01

Hi,
I was just wondering: How do you deal with cards that have more dense energies -like the nine or 3 of swords, The Tower and such- when they land on a said optimistic spot in a spread, and vice-versa?

I'm still learning tarot and I'm relatively new to all this (2 years with very little practice), so I'm not ashamed to say it really throws me off my game.
Sometimes I manage to grasp the message: if the spot of "your strenght" is the three of swords, maybe you can deal with sorrow in a healthy way, maybe you are emotionally strong. If "the problem" is The Sun, maybe you're being too naive, or overconfident.

But sometimes I really don't know how to approach the reading. What do you do in these situations?

Thanks in advance!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

fractalgranny

Re: "bad cards" in "good spots"

Post by fractalgranny » 04 Dec 2017, 23:22

Geekuma wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 23:01
Hi,
I was just wondering: How do you deal with cards that have more dense energies -like the nine or 3 of swords, The Tower and such- when they land on a said optimistic spot in a spread, and vice-versa?

I'm still learning tarot and I'm relatively new to all this (2 years with very little practice), so I'm not ashamed to say it really throws me off my game.
Sometimes I manage to grasp the message: if the spot of "your strenght" is the three of swords, maybe you can deal with sorrow in a healthy way, maybe you are emotionally strong. If "the problem" is The Sun, maybe you're being too naive, or overconfident.

But sometimes I really don't know how to approach the reading. What do you do in these situations?

Thanks in advance!
Well, I'd say there are no "bad" or "good" cards. I just did two readings in which The World appeared, with two very different messages (partly because they were from two different decks, one the WSK Tarot, the other the Gay Tarot.) In one reading The World was clearly about celebration, in the other, where the world is depicted by Atlas carrying the world (although with a big smile), the message was, "this is hard and heavy." Every card needs to be looked at individually, weighing so many different variables: the physical position, the question it is supposed to reply to, how it interacts with the other cards, what the image is, etc. And each one of those points has various subpoints! I think your interpretations above are a great start - if I were you, I'd keep experimenting with that. One book has helped me tremendously with flexing those muscles was (and still is) 21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card by Margaret Greer.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 04 Dec 2017, 23:22

I think this just develops naturally as you get deeper understandings of the cards' ranges of meaning. The Tower, for example, can be about seeing things as they actually are and/or breaking down outmoded structures, authoritarian constraints, etc. The 9 of Swords is, in many ways, about what goes on inside our heads.

Another technique to try if you're having trouble with this in a reading is to see if any elements of the card are echoed in other cards in the spread. Are there lots of 9s? Lots of Swords? I recall a recent reading I did where the 9 of swords was important because it wasn't the 10 and its message was in relation to a 10 that was elsewhere in the spread. The general meanings of the 9 in and of itself were irrelevant.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DownUnderNZer

Post by DownUnderNZer » 04 Dec 2017, 23:41

I am not practiced at using spreads or more than 3 to 5 cards at a time when it comes to Tarot. Not really been into them for some years either, unfortunately.

But if say you got TOWER on a position like POSITIVE OUTCOME it could mean the reverse meaning of that card if you believe or follow reverse meanings of course, and therefore diminishes the NEGATIVE IMPACT.

The same would go for the: 3 of Swords, 10 of Swords, and Death etc.

So, if you got TOWER (upright) your world would not be totally crashing down around you unexpectedly, but rather that you would likely be forewarned of any upheaval, in a position to avoid the worst of whatever is coming, and that not all will be as bad as it seems. A change will be imminent, but not as drastic or harsh as it could be.

So, I think you are kind of doing it right with what you have written.
Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance. W. Clement Stone

Be the change you wish to see in the world. Ghandi.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 05 Dec 2017, 01:10

There are so many meanings in Tarot cards :icon_e_confused: . I can sometimes read them by themselves but generally draw non-Tarot cards to tell me what they mean, look for common ideas in them :icon_redface: .
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geekuma

Post by Geekuma » 05 Dec 2017, 08:45

Wow, thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to look that book up. I normally frown upon books with titles like that (67 ways to do that, 9 places to do that other thing. Guess I should be way more open minded heheh.

I'm so glad for your validation too, I am self taught (learn mostly on internet and books, didn't have an actual teacher) so sometimes I doubt myself and fear I'm off track. Seeing some good feedback is really refreshing. I'm gonna keep pushing until I'm more familiar with tarot, thanks everyone for your help!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK » 05 Dec 2017, 09:16

In good spots I would read any positives out of the traditionally 'bad' cards. For example three of swords... perhaps it's time to let a relationship go, to end ongoing heartache and move on... the devil might advise us to cut a bit loose, take some risks and allow ourselves to be more who we really are warts and all... ten of swords could be that the worst is over and a new dawn is about to break... there is always a positive to be gleaned depending on the position and surrounding cards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 05 Dec 2017, 11:45

I've only heard good things about the 21 Ways book. I haven't read it but I do have a book by the same author—"Tarot For Your Self"—and that book is excellent.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion » 05 Dec 2017, 14:08

I'm relatively new to tarot myself (got my first deck earlier this year). But I have had Frouds Faeries Oracle for years which has been a huge help in seeing that there are 2 sides to every coin, or card in this instance. In my limited experience I have found that all the cards have both positive and negative connotations (is that the right word?) So, like the others and yourself have said, it's just a case of seeing how the energy of the card could be perverted/diminished or raised/enlightened. You seem like you're on the right track though :D
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML: " title="Click to select post’s link in HTML format" onclick="this.focus();this.select();" />
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Cartomancy”