What determines the "personality" of a deck?

Discussions On How We Use Cards For Divination
SEELE-01

What determines the "personality" of a deck?

Post by SEELE-01 » 14 Dec 2017, 16:27

Most people and books, on the subject of when to bless a newl deck recommend to do so on particular days with strong energy, at hours of significance, with the Moon on specific phases and even in certain moods. This will ensure that the cards receive the best possible energy.

In the experience of those that own multiple decks: does changing some or all of those parameters alter the outcome of the deck's personality/efficiency of does your intention when blessing the deck take priority?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Re: What determines the "personality" of a deck?

Post by Nemia » 14 Dec 2017, 21:38

I don't bless my decks at all. They're a tool. The energy in the reading is the result of a meeting between the deck and myself. The deck brings a basic concept and idea of what tarot is, expressed in its structure, its art, use of symbolism and many other choices. I bring the question, my love for tarot, and my ability to interpret the cards. For me, that's enough, and I don't see the need for ceremonies (although I can see why others do it).

If I anthropomorphize a deck, and I do so all the time, and think about its personality, then this is for me the result of the tarot creator's intentions and work, and my own experience with a deck. So the personality of, let's say, the Housewives Tarot is ironical, sharp and even sarcastic because my readings with it were like that in the past. This has shaped my perception of the deck. The Silhouettes deck, on the other hand, has given me insightful, sensitive and kind readings, and that's the personality I associate with it.

The kind of readings I get from different decks has been pretty persistent, no matter what the moon phase etc is. (And I'm very much aware of the moons and stars - I got up just now to watch Spica, Mars and the Moon, and I update every day the news scroll and keep a moon phase card open next to my elbow every day).

Although I don't bless my decks, I do bless my inner child or inner wisdom or inner teacher, this whole "inner conference room" that enables me to make sense of the cards and connect them to the situation or question.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DownUnderNZer

Post by DownUnderNZer » 14 Dec 2017, 22:22

I do not bless my decks either.

Nor do the incense, candles, and crystal humbug some dutifully do like no tomorrow.

If I was doing Mediumship I would protect myself with prayer and what have you.

Not for cards. :icon_e_biggrin:

But to each her or his own.
Last edited by DownUnderNZer on 15 Dec 2017, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.
Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance. W. Clement Stone

Be the change you wish to see in the world. Ghandi.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 15 Dec 2017, 00:01

No blessings for me either. The decks seem to get better with more use though. Maybe the growing confidence has an effect and the initial hope and curiosity is enough to get a new deck started.
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 15 Dec 2017, 05:27

I don't bless or consecrate my decks in any way either. The "personality" of a deck lies in the intellectual and emotional response it evokes in me through its imagery. Some decks seem austere and clinical, others are immediately approachable and folksy. Many of the Golden-Dawn style decks (like the Hermetic, but not the Thoth) are examples of the former, while the Anna K represents the latter quite well. A lot depends on whether I want to use a deck for esoteric study or for public reading.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion » 16 Dec 2017, 23:22

To be honest, I don't normally feel the need to cleanse or charge/bless decks. If I feel like it does need a cleanse I'll place a piece of blue kyanite on the deck for a while before using it.

When it comes to the personality of a deck I will do a new deck interview spread to give me an idea of what it is like. I quite like this short and sweet one the Sibylline showed me
1--3--2
1= Who are you? Deck will identify itself and tell you what its strengths are
2= Who am I? Will say something about who you are in your tarot journey
3= How do we best work together? I usually look at how cards 1 and 2 interact with card 3
Also, like Nemia and Barleywine, I find a lot of the personality comes from the artwork and tone of the guide book.
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Cartomancy”