What was your first deck?

Discussions On How We Use Cards For Divination
Joan Marie

What was your first deck?

Post by Joan Marie » 25 Jul 2017, 16:25

Mine was a Rider-Waite -Smith deck.
I was a big fan of the show Mad Men. At the end of every episode the production company logo come up and it's the Sun card from RWS. I wondered about it for a long time then I heard an interview with the creator of the show and he said he used Tarot to write. He asks the cards about his own characters and what they are going to do. I thought that was amazing, using Tarot as a part of a creative process like that.

I had to try it. It's been part of my life ever since.

What was your first deck and what made you get it, and get started with Tarot?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Re: What was your first deck?

Post by CharlotteK » 25 Jul 2017, 17:07

Mine was the Radiant Rider Waite. The brighter colours really appealed to me at the time as it didn't feel quite as 'occult', which is funny now as occult things no longer worry me. I was introduced to Tarot by a friend. My first experience was with a mini Motherpeace deck. Very difficult to read with, but I was intrigued and hooked. I did a little research and saw lots of suggestions to start with RWS. I didn't know at the time the Radiant was a redrawing. I just thought it was the original that had been brightened up a bit. I still have a soft spot for it. I ruined my original deck with a bad trimming and edging job, so I bought another, which I will trim someday.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Arcange

Post by Arcange » 25 Jul 2017, 17:58

Mine was the Antico Tarocco Italiano. I bought it in Florence about 30 years ago, played around with it for a bit then put it away. I didn't understand anything.
😂
I didn't know some decks speak to you while others don't. Plus TdM or ATI are the kind of decks that need a mentor. Or a masters in history.
Channel K loves U :grin:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SteveGus

Post by SteveGus » 26 Jul 2017, 22:11

1JJ Swiss, bought in a local Spencer Gifts store in 1974. The red box, labelled unassumingly as 'Tarot Cards', with French card names. Still one of my go-to decks.
Le beau valet de coeur et la dame de pique
Causent sinistrement de leurs amours défunts.

- Baudelaire

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

witchofglass

Post by witchofglass » 31 Jul 2017, 23:47

DJ Conway's Celtic Dragon Tarot, when I was like.... 13? 14? Purely because I loved dragons and thought tarot was vaguely cool.

Didn't really get into tarot for much of anything until I picked up my second deck (Barbara Moore's Steampunk) at 19, though. Fell into it deeper when I discovered the Silhouettes Tarot and it's been all downhill from there, I'm afraid.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LittleNell

Post by LittleNell » 01 Aug 2017, 05:22

Mine was the RWS deck.
I bought it from a local store (Dances with Unicorns) which, sadly, no longer exists.
It's taken me a long time to appreciate the beauty of the RWS though

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ncharge

Post by Ncharge » 01 Aug 2017, 12:18

Mine was the Aquarian. It was a Christmas gift when I was 12. I had asked for a crystal ball, but my folks couldn't afford one. I loved the deck! Solid blue back. 1971. I still have the deck.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Canid

Post by Canid » 04 Aug 2017, 17:38

RWS in the early 70's, then Moon Garden in '93, which I still love. I could never connect to my Victorian Romantic though...
The eye thru which I see God is the same eye thru which God sees me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 05 Aug 2017, 02:14

Thoth, the AGM blue box with three magi. Later I bought a large greenie and trimmed both - but my good old pocket sized first Thoth still goes with me wherever I go.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK » 05 Aug 2017, 04:19

Nemia wrote:Thoth, the AGM blue box with three magi. Later I bought a large greenie and trimmed both - but my good old pocket sized first Thoth still goes with me wherever I go.
Nemia, did you do anything with the extra Magi? I have two of these old blue box ones with extra magi and I have read they were 'fillers' and not worth reading with. I wondered if you'd found another use for them?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Cartomancy”