What was your first deck?

Discussions On How We Use Cards For Divination
Nemia
Global Moderator

Re: What was your first deck?

Post by Nemia » 05 Aug 2017, 05:34

I used one for an art project, and the other is still with the other superfluous cards in a drawer.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Michael Sternbach
Site Admin

Post by Michael Sternbach » 06 Aug 2017, 03:07

Some suggest to leave just one of the three Magi in the deck for readings, but others use all three. There are different ideas on their meanings.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Michael Sternbach
Site Admin

Post by Michael Sternbach » 06 Aug 2017, 03:35

My first deck was the Thoth. I had seen it in an article on Tarot in a popular science magazine during a holiday in Italy. The article actually showed samples from various decks, among which I found the Thoth the most attractive. So I got a deck right after my return to Switzerland.

I remember how there was another customer right next to me in front of the shelf with the Tarot decks in the store. She recommended the RWS, saying that it was particularly suitable for beginners. But luckily, I knew exactly what I wanted.

I continued to my favorite restaurant, ordered a Kir Royal, unpacked my deck on a table on the balcony, and looked at each card with curious fascination. Then I started reading the two books that I had bought along with the deck, calculated my personal cards, and soon after attempted first readings for myself and willing relatives.

That's how an interesting relationship of by now nearly 30 years standing began.

I got some more books and decks in the following weeks and months.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 06 Aug 2017, 08:11

It's amazing what you can learn from popular science magazines :32(17): .
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sibylline

Post by Sibylline » 07 Aug 2017, 20:19

The Thoth.

My mother had bought it for herself in the late 80s or early 90s and quickly lost interest in it. When she cast it aside, I picked it up and I was hooked. I was in my early teens and I was completely mesmerized by Lady Frieda Harris' art. I knew nothing about tarot, but as I look back on it, that was the moment when I became a tarot reader for life.

Over the years, I've come to understand that the Thoth is the only one of my 80+ decks that has seen me through the different stages in my life because it's the only deck I will never outgrow. Instead, the Thoth seems to grow with me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Seldes Katne

Post by Seldes Katne » 09 Aug 2017, 12:06

I had three first decks.

I was working in a public library in upstate New York when the Harry Potter craze happened, and a colleague and I decided to do a Hogwarts program. Prisoner of Azkaban had just been published, and I wanted to offer Divination as one of our "classes." So I took a 4-week evening course on Tarot, decided I didn't like the RWS decks we were using, and went to my local Barnes and Noble to pick up the Hanson-Roberts deck, the Tarot of the Cat People, and the Dragon Tarot (I figured that one would appeal to guys). The Hanson-Roberts deck was the easiest for me to read, the Cat People was the most difficult, and the Dragon fell somewhere in the middle. But the kids had a blast with the whole thing, so it was worth it. I later used all three decks in a HP fanfic for tarot reading practice.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 09 Aug 2017, 12:15

Oh cool, that's great being able to do Tarot reading as part of your job. Welcome to the forum :smile5: .
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Seldes Katne

Post by Seldes Katne » 10 Aug 2017, 01:20

2dogs wrote:
09 Aug 2017, 12:15
Oh cool, that's great being able to do Tarot reading as part of your job. Welcome to the forum :smile5: .
Thank you. I'm glad I found this site.

I tell people I have the best job in the world -- I get to make crafts, wear costumes, play games, and read all the really good books that get published every year. And I get paid for it. :32(20):

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 10 Aug 2017, 01:27

Hmm, I need to get a job in a science museum :32(2): .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK » 10 Aug 2017, 04:54

Seldes Katne wrote:I had three first decks.

I was working in a public library in upstate New York when the Harry Potter craze happened, and a colleague and I decided to do a Hogwarts program. Prisoner of Azkaban had just been published, and I wanted to offer Divination as one of our "classes." So I took a 4-week evening course on Tarot, decided I didn't like the RWS decks we were using, and went to my local Barnes and Noble to pick up the Hanson-Roberts deck, the Tarot of the Cat People, and the Dragon Tarot (I figured that one would appeal to guys). The Hanson-Roberts deck was the easiest for me to read, the Cat People was the most difficult, and the Dragon fell somewhere in the middle. But the kids had a blast with the whole thing, so it was worth it. I later used all three decks in a HP fanfic for tarot reading practice.
What an interesting way of getting into Tarot! Great story :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Cartomancy”