What kind of reader are you?

Discussions On How We Use Cards For Divination
CharlotteK

What kind of reader are you?

Post by CharlotteK » 02 Aug 2017, 02:35

Do you draw on intuition? Do you receive messages from guides? Do you go purely on what the artwork suggests to you? Or do you read cards straight using their specified meanings?
Last edited by CharlotteK on 03 Aug 2017, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Re: What kind of reader are you?

Post by theFeeLion » 02 Aug 2017, 03:28

Can I choose 'all of the above'? :grin:

I use a combination of all of them. Sometimes I will go to the book for meaning, then when I'm reading particular lines might jump out at me. Other times the artwork seems to speak directly. If I see repetitions in the cards or their meanings I will pull that out and add it to the reading.
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK » 02 Aug 2017, 04:14

theFeeLion wrote:Can I choose 'all of the above'? :grin:

I use a combination of all of them. Sometimes I will go to the book for meaning, then when I'm reading particular lines might jump out at me. Other times the artwork seems to speak directly. If I see repetitions in the cards or their meanings I will pull that out and add it to the reading.
Are there particular kinds of readings or decks where you lean more or less towards different techniques or styles?

I must admit, I'm mostly a straight card reader using generally accepted meanings, though I will spend some time thinking about the various nuances of or slants on meanings of a card as it presents in combination with others.

But if I have time. I like to look carefully at the artwork and the elements in it and for some decks, the artwork is so strong and powerful, it takes on much greater significance and speaks extra meaning.

I dont regard myself to be a very intuitive reader, and I'm comfortable with that. Some of the darker decks I have probably spark more of an intuitive response, probably because unsettling or strange imagery is intriguing and provokes different thought patterns.

But ultimately I think my preferred default style is working within a defined system and conventions, and not going too off piste with that.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DDwarks
Global Moderator

Post by DDwarks » 02 Aug 2017, 05:37

"All of the above" is what I'm aiming to do with all my decks.
So far, its only my Thelema that lends itself to it.

I like to first get an impression of the cards and how they behave with each other. A kind of "what are you telling me" but just by looking at the artwork and sensing the message.
That the intuitive bit.

Then comes the details with ED's and suites and meanings.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Michael Sternbach
Site Admin

Post by Michael Sternbach » 02 Aug 2017, 09:31

I am also inclined to say: All of the above. :grin:

In the very early days, I used to go more with textbook meanings, until one day, during a reading, a witness said to me that it's a pity I take it all out of a book. And right he was.

So for my next reading, I decided to leave the book out and let the cards speak to me directly, and I was immediately rewarded by my querent commenting that I am doing really well already!

Of course, memorized meanings do play a role, and as each card is a little world of its own, I still enjoy reading different authors' takes on it (some of whom I agree with more than with others), but I also draw from personal experiences and - very importantly - visual clues that may be pertinent only to a particular readings.

Then there is my knowledge of astrology - more specifically, the astrology of the decans, which is actually a study of its own. I am primarily (but not exclusively) a Thoth reader, a deck that particularly emphasizes the link to astrology, albeit many other decks (including RWS) share it as well.

And my knowledge of other metaphysical systems comes into play too - especially with a deck as eclectic as the Thoth.

Sometimes I contemplate a spread for awhile, seeing how the cards relate to each other, how they do or don't harmonize, etc., until a story emerges from them.

It is always my intuition that has the final word.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK » 02 Aug 2017, 12:53

So this is a very interesting discussion, because for me there is something that sits between using textbook meanings and going on intuition.

It might be helpful to explain what I personally mean by a style of reading that is by 'intuition'. The way I understand this is to go on a 'gut feel' for what the card might mean, irrespective of any accepted or standard meanings, and to disregard these traditional meanings if the gut feel is something different.

Of course in reality for many 'intuitive' readers it might be a mix of literal and intuitive. For some or could be all gut feel.

But I suppose where I'm coming from describing myself as a straight card reader is not to say that I rely just on textbook meanings, not at all. I do draw heavily on 'traditional meanings' but I also read what I see is actually on the card - the scenes, the symbolism, the way any figures or animals are depicted, and I describe what is there.

What I don't do very often if at all is override that with a gut feel, because that just doesn't happen and I don't get strong feelings that the cards mean specific things. I dont regard myself be psychic and I don't work with guides, so I pretty much read what I see and, present a range of possible or likely meanings, in context, and let the querent work out what's relevant to them.

I still go through this process when the querent is me! I take notes based on what is on the cards and a range of established meanings, then I work out how that best applies.

Is that unusual?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Wheel of Fantastic

Post by Wheel of Fantastic » 02 Aug 2017, 13:17

I read RWS and RWS clones using the Golden Dawn meanings with a dollop of intuition depending on the deck.

Where things get interesting is reading Marseille type decks which predate the Golden Dawn. Marseille decks do not have astrological, kabalistic, esoteric meanings applied to them - I find intuition plus numerology is the way to go when using the pip cards. For the Marseille Majors i'm a huge fan of the writings of Yoav Ben-Dov, now sadly departed.

So to sum up, a bit of everything much like most of the replies above.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK » 02 Aug 2017, 14:11

I am now intrigued to know whether I do use intuition. I'm assuming it's not in my skill set but..

Would anyone be interested in a 'developing intuition' practice group? Perhaps I need to find others like myself who don't naturally do it. But I was thinking about an exchange thread where someone poses a question and then someone else pulls a card and has to use ONLY intuition to answer it, no book meanings or traditional interpretations. The querent would then have to feed back on accuracy. Or could be circle (there was something like this on the purple place I believe).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SteveGus

Post by SteveGus » 02 Aug 2017, 14:44

I generally read non-esoteric pip card decks. I'm not sure that I rely to any extent on 'intuition', mostly because I'm unsure of what that would entail. I use small spreads, 3-6 cards, and tend not to impose any great significance on the position of each card in the spread, other than generally to read them as a sequence from left to right.

I'm a firm believer in reading the cards in front of you, and tend to resist drawing clarification cards. I read using a combination of numerological and RWS meanings, though my personal system removes at least some of the anguish and heartbreak from Swords and redistributes it, mostly to Cups and Batons. (Things like despair and heartbreak are more Cups business than Swords business to me, for instance.) But I begin with the assumption that there is a message in these cards and it's my job to tease it out.
Le beau valet de coeur et la dame de pique
Causent sinistrement de leurs amours défunts.

- Baudelaire

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK » 02 Aug 2017, 15:09

SteveGus wrote: I'm a firm believer in reading the cards in front of you, and tend to resist drawing clarification cards... But I begin with the assumption that there is a message in these cards and it's my job to tease it out.
This resonates with me a great deal.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Cartomancy”