What kind of reader are you?

Discussions On How We Use Cards For Divination
Ace

Re: What kind of reader are you?

Post by Ace » 02 Aug 2017, 19:08

I don't like using "text book definitions". I feel that the pictures lead us to the askaskic record--the record of everything that has gone before. We can read that using the Tarot cards as a way of getting suggestions.If that is intuitive reading, then so be it. But just reading what the card is SUPPOSED to mean, limits what I can see about a card.

barb
Education is EVERYTHING!

www.bgmeyer.com/blog.html

Reading Tarot cards: the most fun you can have and keep your clothes on!

Do away with your
Throat and lips,
And let me hear
What you can say.
--Shih-tou (700-790)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann » 02 Aug 2017, 21:42

intuition. I never really learned the cards i just kinda read them

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 03 Aug 2017, 08:10

It would probably be called "intuitive" by a lot of people but actually it's more "analytic" as I generally draw multiple clarifier cards and go into a lot of investigation and thought about what all the images and words mean and how they fit together like a puzzle. The book may prove useful but if not I'm quite happy to ignore it.
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK » 03 Aug 2017, 14:14

I'm in the camp that really likes textbooks, if there is one. I find a lot of LWBs of limited help but a good companion book I definitely treasure. I've got some general books that I used as a newbie beginner and I still refer to them. I suppose I treat them as advisory and suggestions rather than Gospel. It's not like they all parrot the exact same meaning, there is a huge amount of variety in interpretations. But to throw out the books? No I don't think I could - they're part of the enjoyment and reward I get from investing time in Tarot

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Cenozoic

Post by Cenozoic » 03 Aug 2017, 19:29

I mainly use intuition first, and then textbook meanings as a backup.

I mainly draw 3-5 cards or more, and then I chain or link cards together into a storyline. I don't really use spreads or card positions that much, although they are fun.

I read a card by intuition first. What objects jump out first. What image or storyline comes to me first.

Since I'm clairsentient, I can sense energy, feelings, and emotions. Sometimes while reading cards, it can carry an emotion. At other times, it seems like strings are attached from my fingertips to certain the cards. Sometimes I get a shape, form, or action that I can sense with my physical body or in the area around me, like energy similar to a stream of water, air currents, beams, funnels, fans, bubbles, and things like that.

If I'm reading and I'm confused, I do default back to textbook meanings and definitions. I'm not afraid to admit it. I don't know everything. There's a balance of knowledge and intuition, and I like using both.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Canid

Post by Canid » 04 Aug 2017, 18:06

SteveGus wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 14:44
I generally read non-esoteric pip card decks. I'm not sure that I rely to any extent on 'intuition', mostly because I'm unsure of what that would entail. I use small spreads, 3-6 cards, and tend not to impose any great significance on the position of each card in the spread, other than generally to read them as a sequence from left to right.

I'm a firm believer in reading the cards in front of you, and tend to resist drawing clarification cards. I read using a combination of numerological and RWS meanings, though my personal system removes at least some of the anguish and heartbreak from Swords and redistributes it, mostly to Cups and Batons. (Things like despair and heartbreak are more Cups business than Swords business to me, for instance.) But I begin with the assumption that there is a message in these cards and it's my job to tease it out.
What is a non-esoteric pip card deck?
The eye thru which I see God is the same eye thru which God sees me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion » 04 Aug 2017, 22:50

CharlotteKAT wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 04:14
theFeeLion wrote:Can I choose 'all of the above'? :grin:

I use a combination of all of them. Sometimes I will go to the book for meaning, then when I'm reading particular lines might jump out at me. Other times the artwork seems to speak directly. If I see repetitions in the cards or their meanings I will pull that out and add it to the reading.
Are there particular kinds of readings or decks where you lean more or less towards different techniques or styles?

I must admit, I'm mostly a straight card reader using generally accepted meanings, though I will spend some time thinking about the various nuances of or slants on meanings of a card as it presents in combination with others.

But if I have time. I like to look carefully at the artwork and the elements in it and for some decks, the artwork is so strong and powerful, it takes on much greater significance and speaks extra meaning.

I dont regard myself to be a very intuitive reader, and I'm comfortable with that. Some of the darker decks I have probably spark more of an intuitive response, probably because unsettling or strange imagery is intriguing and provokes different thought patterns.

But ultimately I think my preferred default style is working within a defined system and conventions, and not going too off piste with that.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Oops, I forgot I hadn't replied to you! So sorry!

I have 4 (physical) decks and only one of those is tarot. My first deck was Froud's Faeries Oracle and I have largely used the book gain meaning from the cards. My most recent is Brian Williams' Renaissance Tarot and I sorely wish I had the companion book for it. I feel I am missing out on so much meaning the cards hold locked away in them all because I don't own that book yet.

I am the kind of person that likes to have all the information I can available to me to use. If I don't want or need to use it then that's fine, but I like to have that option, otherwise I feel like I can't make an informed decision because I may have faulty or one sided knowledge.

It has only been since the beginning of the year and my discovery of tarot forums that has helped me to stretch my intuitive muscles and gain more confidence in that intuition. And yes I would love to be a part of an intuitive muscle building group!

All 4 of my decks are very very different in style, format and usage. This has meant I have felt the need to use the corresponding guide book to help me find my way through the artist's vision for the cards. I am, however slowly, managing to glean more and more from the decks I have.

When I comes to doing a reading for someone my process follows along these kind of lines:

As I lay out the cards I might get a few first impressions. The better I know the cards the more I get, so with my Faeries I generally get quite a few, although some will make me cock my head an wonder why they came up.

Since I have started doing DOTW I've been looking at what jumps out at me from the cards before digging any deeper.

Then out comes the book. I usually look at the key words to jog my memory about each card and then explain as I go.

If the key words aren't enough I'll skim over the text and see what lines my eyes are drawn to and which ones jump out at me. If I need to I will read a bit more around those lines as well.

If I'm reading for myself and the book isn't enough (and if I have the time) I might call on Google get a little more insight.

As I go I usually end up seeing repetitions either in symbolism or keywords or even whole lines in the book. Those repetitions I pay particular attention to and use them to connect the dots between the cards and the querent. They are also usually things I have to repeat a few times and sometimes have to physically point out.

I don't know if that answers your question or not...

Ooo I just had a thought that may help you with intuitive card meanings! There's an exercise that is suggested to do with Froud's Faeries Oracle, that I'm pretty sure would work wonders with just about any deck, where you put the cards into different groupings. For example, elements, men and women, types of animals, colours, directions the figures are looking, common symbols.......
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SteveGus

Post by SteveGus » 05 Aug 2017, 18:00

Canid wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 18:06
What is a non-esoteric pip card deck?
Decks that have non-illustrated pips and that were not redesigned to fit esoteric theories; decks outside the Etteilla, RWS, or Thoth families. The Tarot de Marseille is the canonical one. Also decks like the Ancient Italian, Swiss 1JJ; basically, decks that were made to play the tarot game as well as for tarot reading.
Le beau valet de coeur et la dame de pique
Causent sinistrement de leurs amours défunts.

- Baudelaire

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HeKatesXing

Post by HeKatesXing » 16 Aug 2017, 00:19

For me personally ...
Totally depends on the deck and what question is being asked by the querant...

For me I work with a variety of decks that require Numerical meanings with the suits ... or I might switch to traditional keywords and expand from there... When I have time with a client I might find myself connecting with the imagery of the deck and using non-traditional meanings...
But then suddenly I may find myself with words that actually have nothing to do in anyway with the cards but have been shared with me by my guide, this can be a voice, a symbol, or picture or suddenly a smell or a sensation may give me a message...
Even at times A loved one will come through in a middle of a Card reading .. The cards are a gateway ... a key to opening up further within myself...

So for me my readings are never the same way. When someone asks How do I read the cards.. I can not set it to one specific method...

ohh one more thought, it depends also on the setting...
at psychic/ healing fairs when I read for people I normally keep it fairly simple and mix intuition with traditional card meanings...
At home or when reading for others in private I can go further with the reading...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 16 Aug 2017, 06:53

I consider myself a 60% analytical/40% intuitive reader. I've been at it since 1972 and have a considerable storehouse of knowledge built up that underpins my more inspired and imaginative interpretations. I don't use clarifiers, base or shadow cards unless I specifically build extra cards for that purpose into a spread, and I pay no attention to jumpers (I'm clumsy enough that I sometimes get a whole frog-pond of them). I do often find the quintessence useful for understanding ambiguous outcome cards. I use a story-telling style with a lot of examples, metaphors and analogies based on common cultural, sociological and historical experiences. Basically, I have fun with my readings and very much enjoy the dialogue with my sitters.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Cartomancy”