What kind of reader are you?

Discussions On How We Use Cards For Divination
Michael Sternbach
Site Admin

Re: What kind of reader are you?

Post by Michael Sternbach » 16 Aug 2017, 10:29

Barleywine wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 06:53
I consider myself a 60% analytical/40% intuitive reader. I've been at it since 1972 and have a considerable storehouse of knowledge built up that underpins my more inspired and imaginative interpretations. I don't use clarifiers, base or shadow cards unless I specifically build extra cards for that purpose into a spread, and I pay no attention to jumpers (I'm clumsy enough that I sometimes get a whole frog-pond of them). I do often find the quintessence useful for understanding ambiguous outcome cards. I use a story-telling style with a lot of examples, metaphors and analogies based on common cultural, sociological and historical experiences. Basically, I have fun with my readings and very much enjoy the dialogue with my sitters.
Hi Barleywine,

Good to see you here on ET! :smile5:

Please consider enjoying the dialogue with sitters in our monthly Thoth reading circle! The next round will commence in the beginning of September.

Cheers
Michael

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 02 Sep 2017, 17:42

I think I'm pretty much in the middle - I'm analytical and intuitive and both goes together. I see a constellation of cards and notice patterns and codes (I can recommend both Deborah Lipp and Elizabeth Hazel for those who want to sharpen their pattern recognition abilities...) and use astrology, kabbalah, psychology and the whole cultural baggage in my old head... but I also react in this unspoken, purely intuivtive manner that doesn't always work. I look at the cards and pictures start to move, people tell stories... and this happens without any effort.

Both things, the analysis of the reading and the intuitive reaction to the cards, happen at once. It's a double skill we all have - when I listen to somebody speaking, I follow his words but also his intonation and body language.

I find it difficult to separate the different layers that take place when I read the cards.

I'm always sorry that in my professional tarot work, I don't have personal contact with the sitters and don't get direct feedback, only indirectly (through the owner of the site/app where I work). When I read for people in person, well, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. We can misunderstand people, misread their subtle signals, it happens.

My greatest obstacle as tarot reader is my tendency to insecurity and self criticism. I try to let that go, and experience indeed helps.

So what kind of tarot reader am I? One who tries to do her best... "whatever BEST may mean", to quote Prince Charles LOL...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Seldes Katne

Post by Seldes Katne » 02 Sep 2017, 21:49

CharlotteKAT wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 14:11
Would anyone be interested in a 'developing intuition' practice group? Perhaps I need to find others like myself who don't naturally do it. But I was thinking about an exchange thread where someone poses a question and then someone else pulls a card and has to use ONLY intuition to answer it, no book meanings or traditional interpretations. The querent would then have to feed back on accuracy. Or could be circle (there was something like this on the purple place I believe).
I'd be interest in something like this. I tend to be a straight-forward, analytical reader (I don't quite have Tarot Plain and Simple tied to my wrist, but I do refer to it a lot), and like to know the standard meaning for cards. Of course, I run into problems with this when the deck includes pip cards with only the number of the suit and no actual art, or when I'm dealing with a specialized deck (the Sherlock Holmes Tarot, for example).

Every once in a while I have some intuition about a card, and once had a flash of insight that suddenly transformed a reading into a coherent whole in a way I wasn't expecting. But that doesn't happen often, and I feel as though it's something I need to work on.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

katrinka

Post by katrinka » 21 Sep 2017, 05:48

CharlotteKAT wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 02:35
Do you draw on intuition? Do you receive messages from guides? Do you go purely on what the artwork suggests to you? Or do you read cards straight using their specified meanings?
Traditional meanings. There's some intuition that comes into play, getting the message of the whole gestalt, parsing combinations and such. I have no idea what, if anything, comes from guides. Artwork is relevant in some decks for card interaction, in the sense that I might take into account what card a character is looking at, or which card a road leads to. But it's generally not a major consideration.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chongjasmine

Post by chongjasmine » 27 Sep 2017, 02:47

I read from meanings, with a little bit of intuitiveness.
But basically, I am more a read-from-the-book person.
For God so loves the world that He gives His son Jesus that whoever belives in Jesus shall not perish but have eternal life.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 27 Sep 2017, 12:26

chongjasmine wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 02:47
I read from meanings, with a little bit of intuitiveness.
But basically, I am more a read-from-the-book person.
I find reading from the book works much better for the Thoth Tarot now I have thrown out all the books bar one :icon_redface: .
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

katrinka

Post by katrinka » 05 Oct 2017, 01:36

2dogs wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 12:26
I find reading from the book works much better for the Thoth Tarot now I have thrown out all the books bar one :icon_redface: .
Bad books are even worse than no books, I agree! :icon_lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 05 Oct 2017, 04:36

And in the case of the Thoth, there's a number of pretty horrible and unhelpful super-vague books around.

Which is the book you find helpful?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 06 Oct 2017, 00:44

Nemia wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 04:36
And in the case of the Thoth, there's a number of pretty horrible and unhelpful super-vague books around.

Which is the book you find helpful?
Er, Fiebig & Burger's translated "Ultimate Guide to the Thoth Tarot" which may be a case of one bad book being better than no books at all, but it works for me :icon_redface: .
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

katrinka

Post by katrinka » 07 Oct 2017, 17:01

Yikes, I thought you were going to say Crowley or Duquette. :icon_lol:
To be fair, though, I haven't read Fiebig & Burger.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Cartomancy”