How do you store your cards?

Discussions On How We Use Cards For Divination
Nemia
Global Moderator

How do you store your cards?

Post by Nemia » 06 Jul 2017, 16:08

Ah, I always love to see how others store their cards!

I treat my cards like I treated my dolls when I was a little girl :lol:

I check new decks whether they're complete, take out superfluous cards (I have a special little bag where I keep them all), put the empty box in storage (I have a big carton for empty boxes - keeps them nice and unscuffed), and then I pick a bag for my new deck or if I don't have one.. I have a reason to go the yarn shop and buy something nice and crochet! Then the new deck gets a cozy bag, a sticker with its name on the bag (switched some bags so now I'm confused... will take off the stickers once my brain remembers which bag houses which deck now) - and then I decide in which drawer to put it.

I have a hideously ugly but very practical five-drawer storage unit. Each drawer is a for a different type of deck. There's also incense in the drawers, so the decks smell nice. (Welll I like it!)

Oh I love to sort them and compare them and just play with the cards. It's easy to compare all the decks with saints because I keep them together.

The bags hold them in great shape. My newest pattern for crochet bag is a simple cruciform wrap that is very protective, closes securely and serves as basic spread cloth, too. Pictures over http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/Mat ... w==/?ref=1.

It's always a happy occasion when a new deck comes in :-) I'm quite content with my storage solution - I just have to make some more changes to bring the tarot library closer to the storage unit. And I need a tarot table! Don't have one yet.

But otherwise, I'm settled. Closed storage in bags, with LWBs for each deck with the deck.

(And whenever I see an open tarot collection in boxes, I nearly re-arrange my own whole stuff!)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tigerangel71

Re: How do you store your cards?

Post by Tigerangel71 » 06 Jul 2017, 19:54

I'm not as bothered now how I store my decks, just so long as it keeps them from getting damaged I'm fine with there original boxes now, I keep some in tarot bags, the only deck I have a special place for is my Crows Magick deck which is in a small wooden Box that I did a decoupage of the triquera symbol and a crow on the inside of the boxes lid.

But my majority of decks I now keep in there original boxes and store them in the drawers of my alter as I use a small chest of drawers to have my alter on that way I can access them quickly and just leave the deck I'm working on the alter with a crystal on top.
"Can't Rain All The Time"

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wisevulture

Post by wisevulture » 07 Jul 2017, 02:15

I don't have a ton of space myself so I actually keep the bulky Llewellyn boxes and pull out the cardboard insert so I can put a few decks (as well as crystals, LWBs, and anything else I can fit that I connect with certain decks) in there instead. The decks that came in normal boxes stay in those and the newly homeless Llewellyn decks get wrapped in cloth and tucked back in with the others. The boxes themselves are stacked up in the corner of my bedroom. :lol: It's not the prettiest setup, and someday I hope I can get more space so they can have the room the deserve, but for now it works well~

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

eeviee

Post by eeviee » 07 Jul 2017, 12:58

I keep all the original boxes my decks come in. If they were released with a bag like LoS or Llewellyn sometimes does, I usually pick up the bag if I'm really liking the deck. Other than that, I have several wonderful Baba Studio bags that my "special" decks get stored in. The majority of my deck collection is stored in these fabric lined totes, tucked away under my alter. My frequently used decks are scattered: study decks sit atop my computer/desk and others are put away in the bottom drawer of my nightstand.
--Eeviee
[The Empress & Queen of Wands]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Purplesage

Post by Purplesage » 08 Jul 2017, 06:43

Mine are in pouches or wrapped in a scrap of silk in a silver wooden box which is kept in a little painted wooden cupboard in a corner of my living room. On the bottom shelf of the cupboard are my study books and journals and some decks still in the boxes they came in as the silver wooden box is full. I'm going to have to think of somewhere else to keep them now my collection has grown.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mab

Post by Mab » 09 Jul 2017, 06:56

My collection is outgrowing its space... I have a davenport desk with loads of drawers and a cupboard in the same room for the others, with some of the larger boxes on the bookshelves.
I keep most of them still in their boxes, in Tarot bags, with a label. I still can't find the one I'm looking for, sometimes!
I've just noticed these fab smilies, so I'm going to include on or two, totally inappropriately.... :lol: :roll:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SteveGus

Post by SteveGus » 10 Jul 2017, 17:38

I keep most of the decks on a hutch that sits on top of a bookcase. There are some that I've made special boxes for; this includes my Tarot de Paris, my original RWS, and my Japanese Angel Tarot. Oddly, my first deck (1JJ Swiss) still sits in its red box; it has held up surprisingly well.

There are also decks in the original boxes in my glove compartment and in my desk at the office.
Le beau valet de coeur et la dame de pique
Causent sinistrement de leurs amours défunts.

- Baudelaire

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Cocobird55

Post by Cocobird55 » 14 Jul 2017, 12:39

I buy bags specifically to go with favorite decks. Others get random backs. Decks I'm not sure I like stay in their boxes.
I am who I take the time to become.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Thothgirl

Post by Thothgirl » 15 Jul 2017, 19:56

All my friends live in a large Ottoman chest. Some are in their original boxes to the left of the ottoman, and the rest are in tarot bags carefully selected to match their personalities on the right. I'm neurotic, I have a running spreadsheet and photos so I don't lose track of what I have, even though I pretty much have them committed to memory.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 16 Jul 2017, 16:11

I have a list, too. You can add your list here, viewforum.php?f=119 if you want to :-)

I'm horribly curious how others collect and store their collections :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Cartomancy”