How do you store your cards?

Discussions On How We Use Cards For Divination
CharlotteK

Re: How do you store your cards?

Post by CharlotteK » 16 Jul 2017, 17:23

I have two 42l underbed plastic storage boxes full of decks and another full of Tarot Books and deck books. The decks themselves are in a mix of original boxes (for the most part), but where second hand decks came with no box. Or they were in one of those horrible big flimsy Llewellyn box set boxes, they have ended up in fabric bags, and crocheted bags. A few indie self published decks are in custom zippered pouches. If I buy anymore decks I'm going to need a fourth box!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mindful Tarot

Post by Mindful Tarot » 17 Jul 2017, 00:39

Decks in heavy rotation are each in their special bags, and either on my tarot altar or in a brass bin (used to be a planter, I think) by my reading table. All my other pups are in plastic bins (decks labelled on outside of bins so I can find them easily) inside a lovely vintage hope chest... oh, and there might be some drawers in my altar that also store a few... plus another little miniature chest I got from my mother-in-law that stores decks I'm hoping to re-home... just sayin'. I might have a few decks at this point!

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201707 ... 42a4ee.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mindful Tarot

Post by Mindful Tarot » 17 Jul 2017, 00:41

Mab wrote:My collection is outgrowing its space... I have a davenport desk with loads of drawers and a cupboard in the same room for the others, with some of the larger boxes on the bookshelves.
I keep most of them still in their boxes, in Tarot bags, with a label. I still can't find the one I'm looking for, sometimes!
I've just noticed these fab smilies, so I'm going to include on or two, totally inappropriately.... :lol: :roll:
LOL Mab I adore your inappropriate emojis

Here's some randomness in solidarity:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mindful Tarot

Post by Mindful Tarot » 17 Jul 2017, 00:53

Nemia wrote:Ah, I always love to see how others store their cards!

I treat my cards like I treated my dolls when I was a little girl :lol:

I check new decks whether they're complete, take out superfluous cards (I have a special little bag where I keep them all), put the empty box in storage (I have a big carton for empty boxes - keeps them nice and unscuffed), and then I pick a bag for my new deck or if I don't have one.. I have a reason to go the yarn shop and buy something nice and crochet! Then the new deck gets a cozy bag, a sticker with its name on the bag (switched some bags so now I'm confused... will take off the stickers once my brain remembers which bag houses which deck now) - and then I decide in which drawer to put it.

I have a hideously ugly but very practical five-drawer storage unit. Each drawer is a for a different type of deck. There's also incense in the drawers, so the decks smell nice. (Welll I like it!)

Oh I love to sort them and compare them and just play with the cards. It's easy to compare all the decks with saints because I keep them together.

The bags hold them in great shape. My newest pattern for crochet bag is a simple cruciform wrap that is very protective, closes securely and serves as basic spread cloth, too. Pictures over http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/Mat ... w==/?ref=1.

It's always a happy occasion when a new deck comes in :-) I'm quite content with my storage solution - I just have to make some more changes to bring the tarot library closer to the storage unit. And I need a tarot table! Don't have one yet.

But otherwise, I'm settled. Closed storage in bags, with LWBs for each deck with the deck.

(And whenever I see an open tarot collection in boxes, I nearly re-arrange my own whole stuff!)
Nemia - I wish I could crochet! or knit! or craft in any form whatsoever. I really love your cruciform wrap design! - But I'm like you with needing a special bag for each deck, and storing the boxes separately - at least for the decks in heavy rotation (and for those, I usually keep the extra cards along with the LWBs in the empty boxes so the deck is footloose and fancy free in its lovely new bag.)

I will say that some decks that I love stay in their boxes for a long long time... until I'm really ready to work with them. My Pagan Otherworlds has been in its box since I got it. It's seasoning; waiting for the right time to really enter my life. -- And yes! playing with dolls! My hubby loves to tease me that I'm playing with my "dollies." Ah well. (Funny thing: I never really had dolls... just pet rocks. So maybe that's why I turned out this way??!? lol)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 17 Jul 2017, 04:47

I wish I could sew. Really sew. I learned it many years ago but forgot everything and don't have a sewing machine. Otherwise I'd probably splurge on lovely fabrics and make fabric bags. They're SO beautiful. I hand-sewed some bags and that was okay but I don't have patience anymore for such nimble-fingered work.

Some boxes are lovely and I'm always torn whether to use them or not. Some are so bulky, others really tricky to open. I actually prefer simple boxes; I don't like the thought that we pay for elaborate precious boxes. I prefer to pay for decks, not fancy boxes, and I'm against packaging waste even in its prettiest form (Cathar tarot, Enchanted Lenormand, I'm thinking of you!). I really appreciate decks with a super-simple box like the Cult of Weimar or the Daniloff.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Cenozoic

Post by Cenozoic » 19 Jul 2017, 15:18

I made drawstring bags for most of my decks. I sewed them by hand. Although I would have been equally happy putting them into ziplocked bags. I also have a few that I kept in their original little boxes.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann » 14 Aug 2017, 20:49

This forum has really screwed me up for the last month or so, so i have been storing where ever they happen to be at the moment. @onion19@
It has changed my computer habits and given me way more to do, and now stuff is really suffering.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SEELE-01

Post by SEELE-01 » 05 Oct 2017, 22:28

Wood box with the deck wrapped in red fabric... I'm considering making different colored pouches for the decks and putting in scented wood scraps in to give them a nice smell (I'm not a fan of perfumes or incieses)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK » 06 Oct 2017, 04:13

SEELE-01 wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 22:28
Wood box with the deck wrapped in red fabric... I'm considering making different colored pouches for the decks and putting in scented wood scraps in to give them a nice smell (I'm not a fan of perfumes or incieses)
The smell of natural wood is the most wonderful scent in the world.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Belinda2

Post by Belinda2 » 20 Mar 2018, 17:27

There are so very nice thoughts ideas on here, Beautiful in fact. But I just wanted a A practical place where I could put my cards and easily see what I have . Using over the door shoe holder's was my solution, I have two of them but I also have more decks and then I have to put them on the shelf. I like the fact that I can see the decks through the pockets.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Cartomancy”