Journaling

Discussions On How We Use Cards For Divination
Nemia
Global Moderator

Journaling

Post by Nemia » 24 Sep 2017, 07:20

One of the first pieces of advice any tarot newbie hears is: keep a journal! And this is imo sound advice (not all pieces of tarot advice are!).

When you journal your readings or card of the day, you build up your own image of a card, your own relationship with it. First of all, the act of writing something down makes us remember it better - and secondly, when you return to it later, you can say: ah, I notice that the Hermit came up a lot last winter and now again, maybe the Hermit....

And thus the Hermit is woven into the fabric of your own life. Not even the cleverest book can replace the value of a card's history in your life.

I started with hand-written notebooks and moved on some years ago to Evernote. It's simply easier to take a photo of a spread and send it to Evernote. I also keep a LOT of the material I find on the Internet in my Evernote system - I'm a Taurus and a hamster and a hoarder ;-) and can't let go of anything.

My Evernote categories are nice and well-organized. Decks, books, spread, tarot history - a wealth of information.

And then - I felt that for certain topics, I need something hand-written again. I have so many nice notebooks and journals! and I bought a fountain pen (a lovely Lamy)!

So for my shadow work and family work, I keep a hand written journal.

I feel journaling has really helped me. I don't know how my tarot work would have developed without journaling. I'm sure there are people who get along great without it though.

And as always, I'm curious to hear everybody's opinions, tips and experiences....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Re: Journaling

Post by theFeeLion » 24 Sep 2017, 14:41

I would really like to start a journal for all my tarot and oracle endeavors. I haven't quite gotten around to it yet though. I have bits of refill paper all over the place at the moment that I should probably get a folder for and organise properly, but again, I haven't gotten around to that either lol! It would make things so much easier to go back to later!
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 24 Sep 2017, 14:44

No perfectionism! You can even use your phone to organize your stuff. An app like Evernote or tagged photos, scribbled notes with date - that's a start.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion » 24 Sep 2017, 14:56

I had Evernote for a little while, but I find if I want to take things in better and retain them better then I NEED a physical copy. I should really give Procrastination a kick up the bum (and out the door!) and get myself the tools I need to just go ahead a do it :icon_e_wink:
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ix Chel

Post by Ix Chel » 25 Sep 2017, 03:50

I wished that I started journaling sooner. I started with a paper notebook and then I typed everything in a Word document, you can also save it as an PDF file. I always send to several email addresses a copy of my Tarot Journal. I also have a copy on my smart phone. The only disadvantage is, you do not have everything on paper. But as an advantage my Tarot Journal is searchable, but you must not make any type errors, otherwise you will not find what you are looking for. To me my journal is more a summary and card associations; it is now a huge book. I have also copied articles from the internet in it. I am proud of my Tarot Journal.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chongjasmine

Post by chongjasmine » 27 Sep 2017, 02:50

I don't journal.
I simply interpret and forget about it.
Don't really have the time and patience to journal.
The only thing I journal is my dreams.
For God so loves the world that He gives His son Jesus that whoever belives in Jesus shall not perish but have eternal life.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geekuma

Post by Geekuma » 04 Dec 2017, 21:20

My handwriting is reaally ugly, but reading this topic really got me thinking. I think I'm going to try journaling, starting tomorrow! Heck, I may even take on writing with a fountain pen!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie » 05 Dec 2017, 02:59

I kept a journal when I first started tarot and it helped me immensely. Besides helping me learn and connect with Tarot, I really think it kept me focused and really helped me stick with it until I reached the point where Tarot became part of my life.

Later on I started a Tumblr tarot blog. My habit was to do a reading then write about it in my journal, then try to put it into a sentence or two and pair that with a work of art and that would become my daily Tumblr post. The art was an image of a painting or photograph or sculpture, etc. (and always with artist credit.) For example:

Conquer your fear of what you want to learn.
painting: Pablo Picasso - Girl on the Ball (1905)

Consider the endless possibilities of how people regard, combine and use the resources and conditions at hand to create the environments in which they live and function. Every life is an individual creation. Take in the wonder of that without judging or evaluating. See what happens when you do.
painting: Red Room (Harmony in Red) by Henri Matisse, 1908

Surprisingly, that blog got kind of popular. I've since strayed from all that. I still journal and still have the Tumblr, though I no longer do either every day and neither the journal nor the blog are as tarot focused as they once were.

As I was digging through my Tumblr archive to make this post, it made me miss this activity and makes me want to resume it. To distill my readings into a coherent thought and attach a piece of art to that thought, was really made possible by first making a journal entry.

Journaling helps (forces?) one to complete their thoughts, keeps the mind from flitting from one thing to the next, unfinished. I really think journaling improves the mind.

Here's another one from my old tumblr blog:

We are ALWAYS bringing SOMETHING to the world.
Be ever mindful of that.
painting: The Lantern Bearers by Maxfield Parrish, 1908

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Michael Sternbach
Site Admin

Post by Michael Sternbach » 05 Dec 2017, 23:52

I currently use a journal for card meanings and another one for the spreads I happen to find and like.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Cartomancy”