Meditation and affirmations with the tarot (or other cards)

Discussions On How We Use Cards For Divination
Nemia
Global Moderator

Meditation and affirmations with the tarot (or other cards)

Post by Nemia » 24 Sep 2017, 16:22

I'm not strong on meditation, and my efforts to meditate with or without were only sporadically successful.

I see there are two ways of tarot meditation: one focuses on getting to know the card better (and is an introduction to card studies), the other uses the cards to get to know one's inner self better. I have good success with the both kinds of focus but here we talk about personal growth, not meditating on a card in order to learn the card.

When the mood is right (and the card is right), I find myself eaving the card and focusing on the problems or memories bubbling up.

I'm interested to hear what experiences others have with tarot and meditation. Especially: how can I keep up a meditational practice with the cards? How do people squeeze that in their day to day life? Maybe there's a genius book :icon_lol: ???

And what about tarot affirmations - how do you use them? I find tarot affirmations a powerful tool. In difficult situations in my life, I pick a major with strong energies and put it up so I have it before me all the time. For me, that's much easier than meditation. :icon_e_wink:

An example. After a health scare some time ago, I knew I had to change my nutrition.

I took out my Housewife tarot and picked the three majors that told me what to do. Empress: nurture myself, cook better, expand my scope of cooking. Judgement: take responsibility for the nutritional values I eat ;-) And the Star: have a higher goal, health and pleasure in health, not only superficial weight-loss motivation.

Trivial example - but it worked well. I had these cards for weeks on my desk and indeed found the power to change my eating habits, and the results were good. Not great - good. I really focused on the encouragement each card gave me.

(Later, I put up different versions of Temperance. And that helped, too.)

I could have improved the effect by writing the affirmations down. I've done that in the past and it was a great help in difficult times.

Seeing something in front of my eyes every day has a strong effect on me. I find tarot cards inspire me and help me mobilize something inside myself.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Re: Meditation and affirmations with the tarot (or other cards)

Post by 2dogs » 25 Sep 2017, 00:40

I'm rubbish at meditation but that affirmation idea of keeping the cards in view as a reminder looks promising :thumbup: .
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion » 26 Sep 2017, 18:38

You could try pulling a card for the day (or week) then use that card as a catalyst for your ruminations/meditation. You don't need to try and do it all in one sitting, maybe take 5 or 10 minutes each day to think about how that card applies to you and how you can use it to better yourself.

I'm of the belief that meditation doesn't have to take ages for it to be effective. We don't all have a spare hour where we can be away from all of the distractions of life. Sometimes we may only have a small window in which we can take a moment for ourselves. I think the importance is in making those small moments count.

Maybe at the end of the week, you could take a bigger chunk of time to reflect on your reflections. Kind of like what you do with DOTW already. Except, instead of having a card a day, you have a card a week. Take notes throughout the week, then at the end of the week compile them together and see what journey those notes took you on...
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 26 Sep 2017, 20:03

One kind of meditation that works well for me is walking meditation. No idea whether I do it properly, but walking through nature puts me into a meditative state, and I have cleared my head often with long walks - reached crystal clarity. Oh, when I did my few shadow work readings, I meditated on them while walking outside - don't know whether that would qualify as "real" meditation but it was good.

I have always been fascinated by labyrinths and the practice of prayer or meditation walks in labyrinths... would love to try it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion » 26 Sep 2017, 20:06

Nemia wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 20:03
One kind of meditation that works well for me is walking meditation. No idea whether I do it properly, but walking through nature puts me into a meditative state, and I have cleared my head often with long walks - reached crystal clarity. Oh, when I did my few shadow work readings, I meditated on them while walking outside - don't know whether that would qualify as "real" meditation but it was good.

I have always been fascinated by labyrinths and the practice of prayer or meditation walks in labyrinths... would love to try it.
It sounds like you pretty much do the labyrinth walking meditation already! :icon_mrgreen: Who said you need to be still to meditate anyway! :trans8:
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie » 11 Apr 2018, 00:26

I got into meditating after reading a book by David Lynch called "Catching The Big Fish". It's a very funny lovely little book. Simple but deep. One of the big messages of it was that you only need to budget 20 minutes a day for meditation. That's enough to make a big difference in your life.

I meditate nearly every morning, usually while my coffee cools. And then I do my daily tarot spread. I really find that the meditation helps bring me to the question I need to ask. And it also helps me to read the message of the cards. It's works like a really clear manifestation of that idea that the answer to your question already exists within you, that's how you came to the question. The cards just help me find the answer that is already there.

And when I say the meditation helps bring me to the question, I don't mean that in a direct way, I'm not meditating "on" something. It's a process of stilling the waters - to catch the big fish, the ones that swim in the deep.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 12 Apr 2018, 05:15

Thank you for the book recommendation! I'm off to catch that specific fish :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Cartomancy”