How do you deal with jumpers?

Discussions On How We Use Cards For Divination
theFeeLion
Global Moderator

How do you deal with jumpers?

Post by theFeeLion » 08 Oct 2017, 16:25

I will freely admit I am not the best of shufflers.
Bunches of cards will sometimes fall out left right and centre. However, on occasion (quite regularly in fact), individual cards will drop out, jump out, or turn themselves over. When this happens to you, how do you deal with them?

Personally, I take them to mean that they have information that needs to be added to the reading. If I am doing a small spread of one to 4 cards I will keep them separate from the spread. If there are enough jumpers they will become the spread itself. However, if I do a larger spread I let the cards know as I am shuffling that any jumpers will go directly into the spread.

The other thing I like to do is keep shuffling until I get no more jumpers. That way I can be sure the ones that want to jump have had a chance to do so before I continue with the spread. I will also always let querants know which cards have jumped, just in case they want to take extra meaning from that.
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Re: How do you deal with jumpers?

Post by CharlotteK » 08 Oct 2017, 16:37

I just put them back in the pack and keep shuffling. I tend to see them more as an indication of my clumsiness than anything more significant.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 08 Oct 2017, 17:19

I'm with Charlotte. I feel when I have shuffled enough and the deck is ready. A card that jumps out before the deck is "done" doesn't mean anything to me and I put it back and continue to shuffle.

But I know many people find jumpers meaningful and that's really a matter of personal feeling :icon_cool:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tarotbear

Post by tarotbear » 08 Oct 2017, 17:35

I always check to see what the jumper says, but I then put it back in the pack and finish shuffling, anyway.
There are three ways of looking at things; theirs, yours, and my Tarot cards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie » 08 Oct 2017, 18:09

I get the feeling sometimes a jumper is a card that just wants to say hello.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 08 Oct 2017, 18:31

I ignore them. I'm phenomenally clumsy at shuffling.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 09 Oct 2017, 01:23

I ignore them and put them back as reading is hard enough without them.
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geekuma

Post by Geekuma » 04 Dec 2017, 21:29

I'm clumsy as well, and jumpers are a normal phenomenon to me. But I do believe jumpers have something to say, because more often than not, they tend to reappear, on the spread. It always leaves me baffled because I'm more of a 3-5 card spread kind of guy, so the chances it was random would be pretty thin. I guess you should aways look what card decided to jump, you may not consider it when reading, but your subconscious certainty will! :icon_mrgreen:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 04 Dec 2017, 22:50

I rarely get them so I usually will pay attention if they do. If I'm drawing something like a triptych, I'm likely to place it as the center card. With a larger spread or one with very defined spread positions, I'll treat the jumper like a shadow/base card or as an indicator of the overall energy of the reading, resolving any interpretive ambiguities according to the stray card.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Michael Sternbach
Site Admin

Post by Michael Sternbach » 05 Dec 2017, 23:32

I try to avoid jumpers when I shuffle. If they occur anyway and are obtrusive enough (turn themselves around and the like), I acknowledge them, but more as an additional comment than as a part of the actual reading.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Cartomancy”