spread idea

Share and discuss various card spreads
shadowrose

spread idea

Post by shadowrose » 16 Oct 2017, 15:50

so, i'm trying to come up with a simple spread idea for my weekly draws and want to know what others, who are more experienced, think of my idea.

i was thinking of separating the major and minor arcana, picking a card from the major arcana on the first day to be the "focus" card, and then each of the other days draw from the minor arcana, the idea being that they will "build on" the first card pulled.

What I'm not sure about is whether I should shuffle the minor arcana card back into the mix the next day, or leave it out. If it is in the mix to possibly be pulled again, and it comes up again 2 or 3 times that week then I would imagine that is an important message, but that can only happen if it's put back in the mix. If I leave each card pulled then something like that couldn't happen.

Interested in your thoughts!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Re: spread idea

Post by theFeeLion » 16 Oct 2017, 16:20

You could use two decks. Pull one major from the first deck as your theme for the week/month and then use the second deck for your daily draw. That way you can keep the Major where you can see it each day and still have the possibility of drawing it as a daily card....
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 16 Oct 2017, 17:13

That's a good and interesting idea. A variation of the daily spread. Many interesting things can be done with split decks ;-) unfortunately, I'm often too lazy to split the deck!

If you do this reading for a week, I'd take the cards out and display them somewhere for the day.

If you draw only one major, then it's the focus of the week. I think that makes perfect sense since the big topics of the majors don't change so quickly.

As a beginner, to be honest, I wouldn't work with two decks simultaneously for the daily spread. First get into the habit of having a deck that accompanies you through a week, and a daily card. But that's just me, I took things maybe too slowly, so disregard my advice.

I put up cards with magnets on a board, I have an old desk calendar that I turned into a card display, and I also ordered little mini-easels (Book Depository) - it helps to have the daily card before you. And you can leave your major open the whole week. Try it! :clap:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

shadowrose

Post by shadowrose » 16 Oct 2017, 17:52

theFeeLion wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 16:20
You could use two decks. Pull one major from the first deck as your theme for the week/month and then use the second deck for your daily draw. That way you can keep the Major where you can see it each day and still have the possibility of drawing it as a daily card....

that is a neat idea too. thanks!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

shadowrose

Post by shadowrose » 16 Oct 2017, 17:59

Nemia wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 17:13
That's a good and interesting idea. A variation of the daily spread. Many interesting things can be done with split decks ;-) unfortunately, I'm often too lazy to split the deck!

If you do this reading for a week, I'd take the cards out and display them somewhere for the day.

If you draw only one major, then it's the focus of the week. I think that makes perfect sense since the big topics of the majors don't change so quickly.

As a beginner, to be honest, I wouldn't work with two decks simultaneously for the daily spread. First get into the habit of having a deck that accompanies you through a week, and a daily card. But that's just me, I took things maybe too slowly, so disregard my advice.

I put up cards with magnets on a board, I have an old desk calendar that I turned into a card display, and I also ordered little mini-easels (Book Depository) - it helps to have the daily card before you. And you can leave your major open the whole week. Try it! :clap:

I agree, as a beginner I think I want to stick with one deck for now. As I advance I can see the advantage of moving to two decks, definitely something to keep in mind! I do like to take new things slowly. I tend to research something to death before I stick my toe in the water, so to speak, but I want to be a little braver with this, probably because I feel comfortable and drawn to tarot.

Those were my thoughts too -- that the major is a good focus card because those are big topics or ideas that don't tend to change quickly, but wasn't sure if the minors alone would be good to build on, not being all that familiar with them yet. I think I may try this next week. Now to come up with a name for the spread.

I think I'd like to find a bulletin board that is padded with strips of ribbon criss-crossed on it and then I could just stick the cards on the board tucked behind the ribbons. I've always wanted one of those boards. If worst comes to worst, I may have to make one, lol.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 16 Oct 2017, 19:46

I generally use two decks in this situation, because I want all the cards to be available for the daily pull. I do the same thing when I use a pre-chosen Significator. There are other situations where I split the deck according to trumps, courts and minors and use different tiers for different parts of a spread. As long as the purpose of each is clear, this is good way to explore different layers of a situation. For the "active" deck, I like to put all the cards back together for each daily draw.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

shadowrose

Post by shadowrose » 16 Oct 2017, 21:51

Barleywine wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 19:46
I generally use two decks in this situation, because I want all the cards to be available for the daily pull. I do the same thing when I use a pre-chosen Significator. There are other situations where I split the deck according to trumps, courts and minors and use different tiers for different parts of a spread. As long as the purpose of each is clear, this is good way to explore different layers of a situation. For the "active" deck, I like to put all the cards back together for each daily draw.
very good points!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 17 Oct 2017, 00:34

I've put my deck of the week cards back in the pack then drawn one repeatedly during the week, so had to take notice in the end :icon_idea: .
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

shadowrose

Post by shadowrose » 17 Oct 2017, 07:46

2dogs wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 00:34
I've put my deck of the week cards back in the pack then drawn one repeatedly during the week, so had to take notice in the end :icon_idea: .

yup, exactly what I was thinking.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Spreads”