drawing question

Share and discuss various card spreads
shadowrose

drawing question

Post by shadowrose » 17 Oct 2017, 07:52

being new to this I find myself wondering, is there a proper way to draw a card? How do you all draw your cards from the deck? I have been shuffling them then spreading them out face down, then close my eyes, let my hand drift over the cards then pick one I feel drawn to.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Re: drawing question

Post by Barleywine » 17 Oct 2017, 08:00

I usually shuffle, cut and put the deck back together, then draw the cards from the top of the deck. (I pull side-to-side rather than end-over-end so as not to change the upright or reversed orientation). But I like to experiment. Sometime I pull from a fan, but that seems to invalidate the whole purpose of the shuffle-and-cut (which is to put the cards in order for the reading) when I'm reading for someone else who has done the shuffle.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tarotbear

Post by tarotbear » 17 Oct 2017, 08:50

There is no 'wrong' way to draw cards from a deck - use whatever method is right for you. Change it on a whim if you feel as though you will get a better insight.

'Fanning' is good for 'Pick a [single] card and I'll tell you your future (or whatever)' -type readings. But the whole process of shuffling cards is to answer a particular question by bringing those cards to the top of the pack - so shuffling makes no sense if you are doing a 'fan' to pull a single card.

And like Barleywine says - I always flip the cards from side-to-side like turning pages of a book, NOT end-over-end - which changes the orientation of the cards - which also changes their meanings for those that read reversed cards.
There are three ways of looking at things; theirs, yours, and my Tarot cards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

shadowrose

Post by shadowrose » 17 Oct 2017, 14:27

very good points, thank you!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion » 17 Oct 2017, 15:09

I tend to shuffle and cut then draw from the top unless a spread calls for taking a card from somewhere else (like this one I created). I have to admit though, I like to flip the cards end to end. I've been doing it that way since I started and the way I see it is; if a card is meant to be read a different way then how I will end up flipping it then it'll "jump" while I'm shuffling. But I'm one of those people that like to take meaning from jumper cards rather than just attributing it to my lousy shuffling :icon_mrgreen:

I used to fan cards and choose them that way too, the only problem I found with that was when doing bigger spreads it could take too long. Although, that's not really a problem if you have plenty of time :icon_e_smile:

At the end of the day, you are the one choosing the cards so choose them how you feel most comfortable :icon_e_biggrin:
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

shadowrose

Post by shadowrose » 17 Oct 2017, 16:42

thank you!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ace

Post by Ace » 20 Oct 2017, 18:10

I am an end to end flipper too. I was taught it doesn't matter as long as you are consistent.

barb
Education is EVERYTHING!

www.bgmeyer.com/blog.html

Reading Tarot cards: the most fun you can have and keep your clothes on!

Do away with your
Throat and lips,
And let me hear
What you can say.
--Shih-tou (700-790)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tarotbear

Post by tarotbear » 20 Oct 2017, 22:35

Ace wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 18:10
I am an end to end flipper too. I was taught it doesn't matter as long as you are consistent.

barb
No - it only matters that you are consistent and true to yourself. As a 'side-to-side' flipper, whether I shuffle for myself or the Querent has shuffled, the cards stay in whatever orientation they are in; for me --- end-to-end means the cards would be the reverse of what they are in the deck. It really doesn't matter: the Deck will get you the answer you need, as long as you stay consistent.
There are three ways of looking at things; theirs, yours, and my Tarot cards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Cenozoic

Post by Cenozoic » 26 Oct 2017, 16:40

I shuffle the deck, and while the deck is still in my hand, I just draw randomly from the middle of the deck, and read the card from my hand. I only do this for personal readings though.

If I'm reading for a querent, I shuffle and cut the deck, and either fan the deck in my hands, or fan it on the table, so the querent can draw the cards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Spreads”