Is there a spread everyone is crazy about but you don't like at all?

Share and discuss various card spreads
Geekuma

Is there a spread everyone is crazy about but you don't like at all?

Post by Geekuma » 05 Dec 2017, 23:06

For me it's the Horseshoe Spread. I can't work with it, it seems counter-intuitive to me and the messages I get with it are all fuzzy!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Michael Sternbach
Site Admin

Re: Is there a spread everyone is crazy about but you don't like at all?

Post by Michael Sternbach » 05 Dec 2017, 23:46

I don't like spreads that are overly fatalistic.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion » 06 Dec 2017, 14:55

I'm not a fan of the celtic cross. I like to use reversals but having a card sideways over another card makes me wonder which way is upright and which is reversed.
Geekuma wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 23:06
For me it's the Horseshoe Spread. I can't work with it, it seems counter-intuitive to me and the messages I get with it are all fuzzy!
I can't say I've ever used this one. I wonder if it would work for you if you had the horseshoe shape oriented with the opening at the top? The theory would is that with the opening at the top it becomes a vessel (kind of like a cornucopia) that is able to be filled. Having it with the opening at the bottom empties the "vessel" which could be why your readings with it are fuzzy...
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 06 Dec 2017, 15:19

On AT, everybody seemed to use three card spreads. No spread positions, just three cards. For everything. I confess now, I never understood why. I like pared-down spreads with positions. Sometimes, three cards will give a good answer, but very often, ONE card is already enough. If I want an answer to different aspects of the questions, I make up a three or four card spread. I never warmed to the three cards for everything system ;-)

I'm not a huge fan of the CC either, often, it's overkill. I like to use the cross - up and down, left and right, that's a nice little pattern. But the staff of the CC is often too much.

I'm fascinated by complex, large spreads but I use smaller spreads much more often. And I always prefer to "milk" the cards I have on the table and never pull "clarification" cards (which I often saw muddle up readings), I don't calculate quintessences (seems too technical) and don't look at the bottom card (only if it's part of the spread).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 06 Dec 2017, 15:38

I rock the horseshoe. It's my go to for strangers, parties, etc.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 06 Dec 2017, 15:39

Nemia wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 15:19
On AT, everybody seemed to use three card spreads. No spread positions, just three cards. For everything. I confess now, I never understood why.
I've actually been meaning to write a post on that very topic. I tried to quiz LucyLucy on this but, as you did or did not see, I didn't get very far.
Charlie Brown

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 07 Dec 2017, 00:17

I find three spreadless cards from different decks to be like three opinions, aspects of the answer or pieces of the puzzle - but with only one Tarot card among them, multiple cards from the same source don't make so much sense to me :icon_e_confused: . Maybe people have been influenced by Lenormand - doesn't that use chains of three cards for its meanings?
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geekuma

Post by Geekuma » 07 Dec 2017, 06:44

Oh, I just can't work properly with "spreadless 3 cards for everything". I'm not a very grounded/centered person (TDAH and such) so solid position spreads help me focus. I'm a fan of Celtic Cross, and I understand it might be overkill most of the times (there's no denying it) but for a newbie like me it sure helps to get the message through. Lately I've been trying to use smaller spreads as a way to broaden my knowlege of the cards

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK » 07 Dec 2017, 14:26

I'm not a big fan of "past, present, future" as a 3 card spread. It seems very passive to me and I prefer card spreads that involve advice or action positions.

Its strange because at work I like things in threes. Its a good number for things like objectives or themes because people can generally remember three things. But with card spreads I either do a one card draw, or for more complex issues I use/design/customise a 4 or 5 card spread.

I'm not wild about the Celtic Cross either, I find it overwhelming or information overload. I must use it maybe once a year!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 08 Dec 2017, 14:56

CharlotteK wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 14:26
I'm not wild about the Celtic Cross either, I find it overwhelming or information overload. I must use it maybe once a year!
I've had a lot of success using CC within a two part process. I first do a 3 card reading with 2 of the cards as pro/con or for you/against you, something like that. The third card a sort of 'gamut' card: something to consider in making the decision or the general direction that the first two cards should be interpreted in. Those 3 cards then become cards 1, 2, and 8 in a CC that elaborates on the original reading.
Charlie Brown

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Spreads”