Is there a spread everyone is crazy about but you don't like at all?

Share and discuss various card spreads
katrinka

Re: Is there a spread everyone is crazy about but you don't like at all?

Post by katrinka » 08 Dec 2017, 21:24

I don't like spreads with a lot of named positions, as a rule. I prefer to use lines, blocks, and the like.
I do use the CC occasionally, but only because it was the first one I learned (back in the Nixon administation, when Jerry Garcia's beard was black and everyone was griping that gas and cigarettes were over 50 cents.)
But I don't treat it as ten one-card readings. I treat it as a ten card reading and combine cards Lenormand style. I lay the staff on the side that the Significator faces.
I do the Bridge spread, I think that one is from Jodo. Where you are now, where you want to be, with the obstacles in between and a bridge over them.
There's another standby, I think I found it in one of Silver Ravenwolf's books of all places. What they're thinking, what they're feeling (which is often quite different from what they think), how they view the situation as a whole, and what they're planning to do about it. Instead of one card, I use a fan of three in each position.
I do like using very methodical spreads - Patience, Chien du Pique, etc.
Those are my named position standbys. Other than that, you couldn't give me named positions with a side of fries. It would take Cartier, at least! :icon_lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 10 Dec 2017, 23:29

katrinka wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 21:24
I don't like spreads with a lot of named positions, as a rule. I prefer to use lines, blocks, and the like.
Can you tell me a little more about your block techniques?
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

katrinka

Post by katrinka » 11 Dec 2017, 03:33

3x3, not past-present-future. Generally the corners are the boundaries and the inner diamond talks about what will happen, but the cards are synthesized - it's not "this card is this, this card is that". Petit Tableaus (a lot like a Lenormand GT, but with only 18 cards - unless want to double it), 3x5's, old spreads, european spreads. I just let the cards talk. *shrugs*

So if the significator is there, I consider what's around it, what it might be looking at, moving towards, moving away from. Same with other people cards. What's underfoot? Out of reach? Is there a predominance of a certain suit? There's a story there. Basic cartomancy stuff.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 11 Dec 2017, 22:19

katrinka wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 03:33
Basic cartomancy stuff.
Yeah. I'm getting interested in learning more about Cartomantic approaches to TdM. I'm hoping Catlin Matthews forthcoming book will be good. I'm also thinking Andy's Lenormand book would be a good place to start. I also got a very interesting little novelty deck published by Grimaud called Cartomantic. Are you familiar with it? It seems like there's a lot there to reverse engineer.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

katrinka

Post by katrinka » 14 Dec 2017, 00:55

I've seen images of the Grimaud Cartomantic, I don't have it, though. Love the old Grimaud decks - that stock is made to be used, it lasts and lasts. My Grand Jeu was old when I got it, I've used it for 15 years and it's still near perfect (except for some of the upper right corners - a puppy got hold of it once. :icon_e_biggrin: )

Andy and Caitlin are definitely the way to go with this. As Andy pointed out, the Tarot is a playing card deck, Lenormand is an Alemannic playing card method, La Vera Sibilla is based on Italian cartomancy, Grand Jeu on French, etc. Reading decks like those helps. So does Kipper reading - even though there are no PC insets, it's very purely cartomantic in the way that the cards combine and the use of direction.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

syntheticmop

Post by syntheticmop » 22 Dec 2017, 20:57

Yeah, horseshoe works well for me, I find three cards too general at times. I have had some problems with the four elemental, the one where the east card is air, south card is fire and so on, and the CC usually works fine, even without a Daath. But the spread I most dislike is that opening of the key one - sooooo long and conflicting.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Spreads”