Deck-specific spreads from little white booklets :-)

Share and discuss various card spreads
Nemia
Global Moderator

Deck-specific spreads from little white booklets :-)

Post by Nemia » 22 Sep 2017, 08:02

I've been wanting to collect those spreads for ages!

Many deck creators/lwb authors add deck-specific spreads to their decks. Some of them look really promising and I'm sure can be used also with other decks. I want to collect some here.

Tarot of the Secret Forest - The Garden in the Middle of the Forest spread

Wow, this spread looks pretty similar to Barbara's General Spread that I just wrote about in the spread books thread! That's how it looks:

__________A______________

1_________2_____________3

__________B______________

1, 2 and 3: past, present and future - the passage of time and the center of our secret garden

A: fears
B: hopes

Actually, I'd change places for A and B to make it more similar to the center part of the Celtic Cross.

I must say, this is not a very original spread - it's a variation of some CC positions. Well well, the deck is brilliant so let's forgive them for this not-very-secret-foresty spread.

Constellations Tarot

It's easiest to put up the scan from the lwb. Oh there's a black hair from my beloved old black cat - he's always next to me :-)

I'll continue to add spreads here, I think this might be an interesting collection and inspire people to think about the relationship between deck and spread.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Re: Deck-specific spreads from little white booklets :-)

Post by CharlotteK » 22 Sep 2017, 10:38

The Anna K Birthday / New Year Spread

"This succinct 5 card spread can be used at any point in time when we are ready for the next phase of our life and ready to leave the old behind."

******5**
**1*2*4**
*****3***

1. Something to leave behind
2. Something to take with you into the new phase of your life
3. Something that could prevent this from happening
4. Something to aspire to
5. The deeper meaning of the new phase of your life

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Tarot of the New Vision

Post by Nemia » 22 Sep 2017, 12:16

This is a bit vague but might be interesting to try out. It's a W-shaped spread.

It's not really connected in any way to the deck. Hm. I'll have to try it!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Ancient Italian tarot

Post by Nemia » 23 Sep 2017, 19:21

There are two spreads in the lwb of the Ancient Italian tarot. This is the first: it's called the Veil.

The second is called the Hand and is clearly derived from the principle of palmistry - an interesting idea btw.

This spread doesn't appear in the English translation of the lwb, so I take it from the German text where it is explained.

1. Thumb - represents will, vitality, creativity, sensuality

2. Index finger - represents order, leadership qualities, ambition, tradition

3. Middle finger - represents focus, learning, intelligence, doubt, scepticism

4. Ring finger - represents artistic talents, love for beauty and harmony

5. Little finger - represents intelligence, eloquence, social talents, pragmatism, materialism

6. Palm - represents power, courage, vitality, resilience

7. Back of the hand - represents dreams, imagination, fantasy

It's a spread of self reflection.

There are many diagrams of the hand on the Internet where you can see the basic idea.

Each part of the hand, especially the fingers, correspond with planets. I added here in capitals the names of the associated planets and/or mythological gods.

1. Thumb - represents MARS will, vitality, VENUS creativity, sensuality

2. Index finger - represents JUPITER order, leadership qualities, ambition, tradition

3. Middle finger - represents SATURN focus, learning, intelligence, doubt, scepticism

4. Ring finger - represents SUN/APOLLO artistic talents, love for beauty and harmony

5. Little finger - represents MERCURY intelligence, eloquence, social talents, pragmatism, materialism

6. Palm - represents power, courage, vitality, resilience

7. Back of the hand - represents dreams, imagination, fantasy

Not a bad idea, to build a self reflective spread on the character of the hand. I'll try it :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 23 Sep 2017, 23:02

We did what was basically the veil spread in August with the Marseille Club. There are readings posted if you're interested to see how the spread works in practice.

I look forward to trying the hand.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Sun and Moon Tarot, Yin/Yang spread

Post by Nemia » 02 Oct 2017, 04:42

I found this spread in the lwb of Vanessa Decort's Sun and Moon Tarot.

It's the kind of spread I like in my personal growth projects - you choose cards consciously from the deck.

Her description is a bit vague - much depends on the cards you choose. It's more an exercise than a spread in the classical sense, and it looks fun.

On the Yin/Moon side, you contemplate the things missing in your life, unfulfilled potential you can activate, obstacles from outside or blockades inside.

On the Yang/Sun side, you look for things that can help you.

If you look at the four-card spread, you only need one more step to make it a SWOT spread: read the first row as interior factors (your strengths vs your weaknesses), and the second row as exterior factors (opportunities and threats).

I always like choosing cards consciously instead of drawing them (that's also why I like permutations so much). You always find more in a card than you expected, whether you picked it openly or pulled it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

The Book of Thoth Etteilla Tarot - Leap of Heqt

Post by Nemia » 01 Dec 2017, 17:49

The Book of Thoth Etteilla Tarot's lwb introduces a spread called the Leap of Heqt - called after the ancient Egyptian toad goddess.

It is basically a two-times-five-card spread with a split deck: the first five cards are taken from the major arcana, the second five cards from the minors.

I never tried this spread - never experimented with split-deck spreads. Either I'm too lazy to separate majors and minors before I start shuffling, or I like the additional information a lay-out can give me by the major/minor ratio appearing "naturally".

But the spread positions here are interesting, arranged like on the back of the toad:

1: today or "House of Thought"

2: yesterday or "House of Burden"

3: tomorrow or "House of Direction"

4: support or "House of Forward Push"

5: opposition or "House of Control"

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Golden Tarot of the Tsar, Orthodox Cross

Post by Nemia » 01 Dec 2017, 18:03

Another Lo Scarabeo deck, another specific deck spread, this time the Orthodox Cross recommended by the author of the lwb for the Golden Tarot of the Tsar.

This is another deck where you have to shuffle minor and major arcana separately.

You start with four cards from the major arcana:

A: in your favour

B: against you

C: general assessment

D: suggestion

Then, six cards from the minor arcana:

1: supports the card in your favour

2: supports the card against you

3: supports the assessment card

4: develops the positive card

5: developes the negative card

6: completes the final sentence

The minor cards are seen as supporting the majors.

Now I didn't see a negative or positive card position in the majors so I assume that you have to look at them for yourself and see which ones are positive (upright), which ones are negative (reversed. According to that assessment, the 4 and 5 either support the upright or the reversed cards respectively. Which means that here, the spread is no longer positional but relational - if there ever was such a word!

For the last card, shuffle the majors again and add

E: together with 6, a summary of the near future.

An interesting spread!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Re: The Book of Thoth Etteilla Tarot - Leap of Heqt

Post by Charlie Brown » 01 Dec 2017, 23:44

Nemia wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 17:49
I never tried this spread - never experimented with split-deck spreads. Either I'm too lazy to separate majors and minors before I start shuffling, or I like the additional information a lay-out can give me by the major/minor ratio appearing "naturally".

I'm not surprised, but am delighted none the less, to see split deck spreads in the Ettiella book. My sense is that it's a historically accurate tendency for French decks and French cartomancy. In the TdM circle we usually do either split decks spreads or else majors-only. In fact, I have two TdMs. One of them is always split and one of them is always fully mingled. I think I might actually need a third so that I can have one with all the minors together and another with courts and aces also separated out.

It's hard to figure out what was really going on historically with the Tarot de Marseille and its Italian counterparts. I have hopes that Cailtin Matthews' forthcoming TdM book will shed a lot of light onto a lot of things.

ETA: TdM Courts + Majors reads nice but it's got to be actual TdM, not just any 18th/19th c deck.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 02 Dec 2017, 01:15

Interesting, I was trying to decide how to use my Doreen Virtue Tarot decks and a couple of Hay House Oracles yesterday and ended up splitting the Tarots into two decks of Minors and Majors + Courts. The reading made good sense :icon_cool: .
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Spreads”