Two-Deck Comparison Spread

Share and discuss various card spreads
Barleywine

Two-Deck Comparison Spread

Post by Barleywine » 30 Sep 2017, 17:02

We’re all familiar with the “new deck interview” technique, in which questions are put to a newly-acquired deck by running it through a special spread created for that purpose. The idea is to determine how effective the deck will be to read with. But I have never seen a spread designed to compare the degree of cooperation that can be expected between two decks that are intended for use in dual-deck readings. So here it is.

The method involves pulling four cards from each of two decks and laying then in vertical columns to left (Deck #1) and right (Deck #2), in descending order from the Wands position to the Disks position. Each position represents a particular functional quality of the deck associated with that suit: Wands are vigor, Cups are empathy, Swords are expressiveness and Disks are reliability.

Once the cards are laid out, the fun begins. Using the table attached to the diagram, find out which card lies at the midpoint between the card pulled from Deck #1 and that from Deck #2 in each row, and place it in the position shown. (These cards can come from either deck or from a third deck if necessary.) This card will show the “common ground” between the two cards, where their respective energies will come together in the most seamless fashion, which may or may not be a helpful alignment for reading purposes.

The next step involves deriving the “quintessence” card from the numerical values of each original pair. There are a number of ways to do this; use the one you are most familiar with. Do this for each row and place the cards in the positions shown. This produces four Major Arcana cards that show the highest possible expression of the combined energies of the two cards in each of the four categories. (Note that it may be necessary to take these cards from a third or even a fourth deck).

Compare the outer pairs first for relative “friendliness” as an indicator of anticipated cooperation; the traditional meaning of each card along with their various correspondences (numerological, astrological, etc.) and the elemental dignities between them can all be brought into the analysis. This multi-tiered comparison will form the backbone of the judgment on expected functional cohesiveness between the two decks when used in tandem. The midpoint cards will reflect the nature of their routine interaction in each area, and the quint cards will highlight the most exalted form of expression that can be expected from their teamwork. (Once again, “exalted” may not mean conducive to easy application of that energy, cases in point being the Tower and the Devil.)

The composite profile obtained from these considerations should provide a useful overview of the level and character of any cooperative (or uncooperative) spirit shared by the two decks when they are brought together in a reading.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2tee9xr0em8r ... .pdf?raw=1

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Re: Two-Deck Comparison Spread

Post by theFeeLion » 30 Sep 2017, 21:24

This looks like another great spread from you Barleywine! :icon_mrgreen:

I have a couple of questions though...

1. How would you use this with oracles or other modalities? Would you just pull cards from the deck as a whole? Hmmm... I suppose you would be more likely to use oracles or whatever for the "handshake" cards...?

2. About quintessence cards... what are they? How do you find them? What are they used for? How do you use them? Lol I think that may be the starter for its very own thread!

Umm... oops, that's a lot more than two questions!

I think I'm going to go have a play with this spread, try it out using my Faeries Oracle for the handshake cards, and see how it all works...

:heart: Fee
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 01 Oct 2017, 10:13

theFeeLion wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 21:24
This looks like another great spread from you Barleywine! :icon_mrgreen:

I have a couple of questions though...

1. How would you use this with oracles or other modalities? Would you just pull cards from the deck as a whole? Hmmm... I suppose you would be more likely to use oracles or whatever for the "handshake" cards...?

2. About quintessence cards... what are they? How do you find them? What are they used for? How do you use them? Lol I think that may be the starter for its very own thread!

Umm... oops, that's a lot more than two questions!

I think I'm going to go have a play with this spread, try it out using my Faeries Oracle for the handshake cards, and see how it all works...

:heart: Fee
That's a great idea! I was wondering how well it might work with other deck styles. I would pull the weekly cards in the same way using a different deck than the one you will use for the daily pulls, and then do those with a second deck so all options are available each day. If you have two copies of the same oracle deck, that would work out best, I think, since oracles differ so widely. I'm wondering about using playing cards.

Regarding the quintessence, it's a numerical roll-up (by addition) of any cards you choose to include in the calculation, and produces a single trump card - often through numerological reduction - that summarizes the blending of the source cards into a single statement. If your oracle deck has numbers, that would work. I have a thorough write-up about it on my blog. You will also find detailed analyses of my seven daily pulls for this week there; from a divination standpoint it was an eye-opening evolution.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion » 01 Oct 2017, 15:15

Barleywine wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:13
That's a great idea! I was wondering how well it might work with other deck styles. I would pull the weekly cards in the same way using a different deck than the one you will use for the daily pulls, and then do those with a second deck so all options are available each day. If you have two copies of the same oracle deck, that would work out best, I think, since oracles differ so widely. I'm wondering about using playing cards.
Umm... I think you may be getting confused with the other spread you posted...?
Barleywine wrote:
Regarding the quintessence, it's a numerical roll-up (by addition) of any cards you choose to include in the calculation, and produces a single trump card - often through numerological reduction - that summarizes the blending of the source cards into a single statement. If your oracle deck has numbers, that would work. I have a thorough write-up about it on my blog. You will also find detailed analyses of my seven daily pulls for this week there; from a divination standpoint it was an eye-opening evolution.
I guess what I really want to know is how do I get to that number between 1 and 22? I had a look a thread on AT where is mentioned adding the values of each card, say 5 of Pents (69) and 3 of Pents (67) to get 136, would I then go from there 1+3+6=10? Or, there was something you mentioned in that thread about reducing that number (in this case 136) by minus-ing 9 until I get that magic number between 1 and 22 (in this case I would get 21)...?

I've done the calculations for this spread that I was doing yesterday but I'm a bit stuck on the quint part...

The oracle I thought of using (Froud's Faeries Oracle) does have numbered cards, 0-65. I suppose, in using these cards for "handshake" cards, I should be reducing the numerical values to a number between 1 and 66?

...Maybe I should post the reading, with all the extra cards, later so you can see...?
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 01 Oct 2017, 16:14

theFeeLion wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 15:15
Barleywine wrote:
Umm... I think you may be getting confused with the other spread you posted...?
Barleywine wrote:
I guess what I really want to know is how do I get to that number between 1 and 22? I had a look a thread on AT where is mentioned adding the values of each card, say 5 of Pents (69) and 3 of Pents (67) to get 136, would I then go from there 1+3+6=10? Or, there was something you mentioned in that thread about reducing that number (in this case 136) by minus-ing 9 until I get that magic number between 1 and 22 (in this case I would get 21)...?

I've done the calculations for this spread that I was doing yesterday but I'm a bit stuck on the quint part...

The oracle I thought of using (Froud's Faeries Oracle) does have numbered cards, 0-65. I suppose, in using these cards for "handshake" cards, I should be reducing the numerical values to a number between 1 and 66?

...Maybe I should post the reading, with all the extra cards, later so you can see...?
Sorry, you're right. The simplest way to work it is to sum the numbers of the cards you want to blend, then add the digits of the outcome number together (repeatedly, if necessary) until you get in range. Some people go all the way down to a single digit and just use cards up to the Hermit. Unless you consider the Fool to be 22 and not 0, you can never get it unless you subtract reversals. "Casting out nines" is an alternate way that is much less popular. You should get to the same place doing it, just more slowly (136 minus multiples of nine should be 136 - 117 = 19 = 10).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Spreads”