What playing cards terms do you know

Moderator: theFeeLion

mr greenwood

What playing cards terms do you know

Post by mr greenwood » 13 Feb 2018, 06:21

Hi all, I am interested in what terms are used when handling the cards, such as shuffling, mending, cutting, I just read a new term, to me, sowing I have no idea what that means. So in this big wide world of cards what terms do you know ?.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kyan

Re: What playing cards terms do you know

Post by kyan » 13 Feb 2018, 16:55

never heard of sowing either.

one term which delights me is riffle shuffle. i like the way it sounds. it’s also called the weave, faro, or dovetail shuffle.

it’s the shuffle that looks impressive, a two part shuffle that makes a lovely sound.

the first part is the riffle, the second part (which is optional) is called the cascade.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 14 Feb 2018, 07:06

In German, we use some French words connected to the world of playing cards (used also when German cards are used). The pile or stack of cards is called a talon. The word Patience, one of my favorite pastimes, is also pronounced the French way. And many old Patience games have lovely traditional names - the Harp, the Flute, Prince Bismarck, the Four Queens, the Bulgarian Question, the Quadrille, the Lady from Koenigsberg, the Lady from Mecklenburg, the Wedding Procession ... everything connected to Patience is so aristocratic :icon_e_biggrin: except for its use as computer game. I still like to use my dear old cards.

I didn't learn cartomancy from my grandmothers but one had a huge collection of old playing card decks (German and French) that I loved to look at with a magnifying glass, and the other taught me Patience (and crochet - two obsessions I clearly inherited from her! oh, and she loved crystals and Expressionist art, too, and I was really influenced by her).

Then, I love the fact that playing cards are so international. I have French, German, Swiss/Hungarian (magyar kartya) and Spanish (barajas) playing cards, and I love them all :-) I like to see the suit and rank names in different languages.

German Bergmann/miners cards

Spanish Baraja espanola

Swiss/Hungarian Tellkarten or magyar kartya

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kyan

Post by kyan » 14 Feb 2018, 16:53

lovely cards, nemia! i love the bergmann card.

it’s so strange, because i just got done reading about the amber room at the Koenigsberg castle and then i saw your post. maybe the lady knows what happened to the amber panels. :icon_e_wink:

(you also mention expressionism, and just today i collaged a lovers card using art from a modern painter that is quite expressionist!)

also, talon is a great word to describe a stack of cards. i’ve not heard it used before, but it sounds like a good term to use for tarot.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Playing Card Talk”