A Simple Question-and-Answer Spread

Moderator: theFeeLion

Barleywine

A Simple Question-and-Answer Spread

Post by Barleywine » 09 Feb 2018, 19:36

Those of us who create a lot of spreads sometimes get so caught up in the game that we neglect the simple stuff. This spread is a substitute for the three-card and five-card line that puts a different spin on the reading: not so much "past/present/future" as countervailing influences that will push the answer one way or the other. It has a slight similarity to the flow of the "cross" part of the Celtic Cross but the position meanings are different.The sample reading was interesting because it played perfectly into the design of the spread (plus I had some fun with it).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kyan

Re: A Simple Question-and-Answer Spread

Post by kyan » 09 Feb 2018, 20:32

YAY! a new spread that isn’t too high calorie. :thumbup:

here i was thinking that “quint card” meant the 5th card...

quintessence.

i’ve never heard of a “shadow card” before.

friday night class, lol.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 10 Feb 2018, 02:09

kyan wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 20:32
here i was thinking that “quint card” meant the 5th card...

quintessence.
Yes, quintessence. But historically you come across the quintessence most frequently in a Tirage en Croix (aka as the French Cross in English) and, there, it is the 5th card. Whether or not that has anything to do with anything I don't know.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kyan

Post by kyan » 10 Feb 2018, 04:26

me either... the german hajo banzhaf uses it too.

quin·tes·sence
ˌkwinˈtesəns/
noun
the aspect of something regarded as the intrinsic and central constituent of its character.
synonyms: essence, soul, spirit, nature, core, heart, crux, kernel, marrow, substance

“the crux card” works. :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 10 Feb 2018, 05:22

I first heard about it on AT, then through Banzhaf's book, and finally - much later - I learned about Tirage en Croix here. Where I part ways with Banzhaf - and, incidentally, with Jodorowsky - is that I consider the unnumbered court cards to be 11 through 14 since they hold those positions in their suit. As I see it, if a card is on the table its influence should be taken into account for any and all aspects of the reading. I'm not going to pretend that it isn't there and carries no weight; the quintessence is a mathematical abstraction anyway. In modern usage, the quint seems to be intended as a roll-up of the entire spread, so I read it that way. The other thing I do, which I picked up from Amanda, is to treat reversed cards as negative numbers; this is the only way you can get to zero, the Fool (and it can also give you a reversed quint card). Having to reposition the Fool as 22 just for the purpose of the quint never made any sense to me.

Before we get too much farther OT, here are my previous thoughts on the subject.

https://parsifalswheeldivination.com/20 ... ntessence/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kyan

Post by kyan » 11 Feb 2018, 17:39

since it gets complicated, i like seeing it as the rollup of the entire reading... the final outcome, the future, the what’s to come.

makes perfect quintessence to me :icon_razz:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Tarot Spreads”