Pronunciation of Hebrew letters and sephiroth

Moderator: Michael Sternbach

Nemia
Global Moderator

Pronunciation of Hebrew letters and sephiroth

Post by Nemia »

I searched on Youtube for a video that explains how to pronounce Hebrew letters and sefirot.

Obviously, it's absolutely okay if you don't pronounce them properly! Polyphony's Hebrew pronounciation is haphazard but his videos are wonderful and full of insights. This is just for people who are curious how the things really sound.

Lavender Moon does a really good job. My only corrections are that chochMA is pronounced on the last syllable, and there is a tiny break in the voice in the middle of tif'eret you push out the e after a little break with a tiny glottal stop (remember the wa'er in Majorca?).

But hey, I'm nitpicking, Lavender Moon sounds great and if you want to know how to pronounce your chet and ain and malkut, just listen to her :-)

PS: I put this post here since Thoth users are confronted with kabbalistic words - and we don't have a kabbalah section. Yet?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
CharlotteK

Re: Pronounciation of Hebrew letters and sephiroth

Post by CharlotteK »

Thank you for this Nemia.

We need a kabbalah section!

I cannot wrap my head around kabbalah, planetary orders, astrology, elemental associations etc all at once so I have decided to start with kabbalah and take some baby steps.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

Did you ever see this lesson from Zephyros?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ho3pokzkv9uiy ... .pdf?raw=1

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

No, I didn't! I love Zephyros and miss him very much. His Hebrew is of course so much better than mine - I'll never get rid of my stupid accent.

Geburah is a pet peeve of mine. It's impossible in Hebrew. It's Gvura. ;-) Hebrew has rules for everything, for every sound.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

Dear Charlotte, it took me ages to start with kabbalah, I thought I wouldn't be able to understand any of it. I was lucky that aged twelve I fell in love with astrology and for some years stuffed my young head with astrology lore :-) I remember the ascendant signs of all my class mates until today because I computed them all... so I still have a good astrology basic background, nothing like astrologers here have but a basic knowledge.

I read about kabbalah for ages but it didn't make click in my head. It just looked like a collection of bubbles with weird names and arbitrary meanings. I don't know what it was that opened kabbalah up for me. It just happened. Maybe it was something I read somewhere - the metaphor of the divine light that flows from vessel to vessel like in some ancient fountain, and loses some of its luminosity on the way while acquiring more colour and also dirt particles. Somehow, it all made sense then and I started to read more and by now, those weird bubbles really have presence and meaning for me.

I always keep the diagram of the Tree of Life before me and follow it with my eyes - up from the realms above the Tree through the Tree until I'm down in our world. And then I climb again. Nothing fancy or spiritual - just to keep in touch with the idea.

I didn't find the ideal kabbalah book yet. But just get started, it doesn't matter where, just where you like the smell and sound.

Thoth and Tabula Mundi are wonderful teachers.

Oh, I think Benebell Wen wrote about a card set - just a second!

https://benebellwen.com/2016/02/15/livi ... -kabbalah/

Look at that!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
katrinka

Post by katrinka »

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann »

CharlotteKAT wrote: 09 Oct 2017, 08:09 Thank you for this Nemia.

We need a kabbalah section!

I cannot wrap my head around kabbalah, planetary orders, astrology, elemental associations etc all at once so I have decided to start with kabbalah and take some baby steps.

I thought i put up a kabbala section in Michael's Cave of Thoth.

Know Your Stuff -My Card Lists
Rooster Mama :had: here, my sidekick Yarr :yarr: his spirit guide :trans16: and me wee beastie :beasty: Familier!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links