RWS basic symbol meanings

Discussions of the arcane symbols of Tarot and other decks
Forum rules
Symbols appear on each and every tarot card - visual signs that convey meaning. Some of them are highly individual and personal, others time-honored and traditional. Some are easy to understand, others difficult and multivalent. In this forum, we want to study symbols from different decks, traditions and cultures together using books, websites, lwbs and our own intuition.
tarotbear

Re: RWS basic symbol meanings

Post by tarotbear » 18 Oct 2017, 17:35

In the POMO Tarot, the suits are Guns, T.V.s, Money, and Bottles.

Sometimes I think designers change Pentacles to Coins to make the deck look 'less witch-y'.
There are three ways of looking at things; theirs, yours, and my Tarot cards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Seeker

Post by Seeker » 19 Oct 2017, 08:01

I just realized that the adept accepts established variations, whereas a reading of an un-established variation is paramount to a non-sequitur. so I'll have to adhere to the established criteria of the many variations if I want to appear less than a total ignoramus.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 19 Oct 2017, 10:58

Seeker wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 08:01
I just realized that the adept accepts established variations, whereas a reading of an un-established variation is paramount to a non-sequitur. so I'll have to adhere to the established criteria of the many variations if I want to appear less than a total ignoramus.
I also stick with the established suit interpretations. Regardless of whether I see a pentacle, a disk, a coin or a stone as a representation of "Earth" energy, I read them all the same way. It mainly comes down to artistic and creative license on the developer's part, and I don't pay much attention to LWBs since I'm not really interested in "unestablished variations."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie » 19 Oct 2017, 11:15

tarotbear wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 17:35
In the POMO Tarot, the suits are Guns, T.V.s, Money, and Bottles.

Sometimes I think designers change Pentacles to Coins to make the deck look 'less witch-y'.
I'm no historian, but I'm pretty sure the original tarot decks used Coins.

That's an interesting question and I wonder if anyone here knows when Pentacles were first used. Was it the Crowley deck? Just a guess.

In the deck I made, The Cult of Weimar Tarot, I chose to use Coins because the theme of the deck. In 1920's Berlin there were all kinds of issues surrounding money. There was the hyperinflation and the extreme poverty that drove people to all sorts of extremes that defined those years.
Here's a couple of cards from Cult of Weimar. I used an actual 3-Mark coin from 1922
ImageImage

You might recall this number from the film Cabaret which was set in the same period:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIAXG_QcQNU

My choice to use Coins rather than Pentacles was contextual.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 19 Oct 2017, 11:27

Joan Marie wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 11:15

That's an interesting question and I wonder if anyone here knows when Pentacles were first used. Was it the Crowley deck? Just a guess.
Crowley titled his "Disks" and never discussed "Pentacles" at all in the Book of Thoth that I can recall. This is what he had to say:

“Nor are the Disks any more to be considered Coins; the Disk is a whirling emblem. Naturally so; since it is now known that every Star, every true Planet, is a whirling sphere.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie » 19 Oct 2017, 12:04

Barleywine wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 11:27
Crowley titled his "Disks" and never discussed "Pentacles" at all in the Book of Thoth that I can recall. This is what he had to say:

“Nor are the Disks any more to be considered Coins; the Disk is a whirling emblem. Naturally so; since it is now known that every Star, every true Planet, is a whirling sphere.”
Is RWS the first deck to employ Pentacles as a suit?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 19 Oct 2017, 12:38

Joan Marie wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 12:04
Barleywine wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 11:27

Is RWS the first deck to employ Pentacles as a suit?
The Golden Dawn used the term Pentacles but there was really no "official," published Golden Dawn deck from that era; members were supposed to make there own. I don't believe a complete copy of Mathers' personal deck exists, but Robert Wang and Israel Regardie tried to recreate it in the 1980s.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “History & Symbolism”