The Cups in Love

Discussions of the arcane symbols of Tarot and other decks
Forum rules
Symbols appear on each and every tarot card - visual signs that convey meaning. Some of them are highly individual and personal, others time-honored and traditional. Some are easy to understand, others difficult and multivalent. In this forum, we want to study symbols from different decks, traditions and cultures together using books, websites, lwbs and our own intuition.
Barleywine

The Cups in Love

Post by Barleywine » 06 Feb 2018, 21:18

Now that we're in the "season of love" - at least as defined by Hallmark - I thought I would take a brief look at how all the Cups pip cards behave in the realm of romance. I didn't include the court cards because there are too many variables to consider, or the trump cards. Here is the link to my analysis. Of particular interest are the associations between the 2 of Cups, the 6 of Cups, the 9 of Cups and the 10 of Cups.

https://parsifalswheeldivination.com/20 ... -its-cups/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Re: The Cups in Love

Post by Nemia » 07 Feb 2018, 00:35

Very interesting, thank you. Light and Shadow in each.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kyan

Post by kyan » 07 Feb 2018, 03:17

great post! i loved this:

10 of Cups – Satiety: Love fulfilled. The “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da” card (Desmond and Molly Jones in their home-sweet-home with a couple of kids running in the yard).

so true!!! :clap:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 07 Feb 2018, 07:55

I just tweaked it a little and expanded some of the meanings. I'll probably continue to tinker with it as I remember past instances where the cards came up in relationship readings. Much of what's there now is from actual situations.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 07 Feb 2018, 10:00

I met the Ten of Cups a number of times as the "too good to be true" card. An idealization of the happy-family-cliche, an unwillingness to see cracks in the facade, whether it's our own or someone else's. That's a darker side of this card - and in the RWS we have this very clear line showing us that we see a theater backdrop, a painting - not necessarily reality.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 07 Feb 2018, 10:18

Nemia wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 10:00
I met the Ten of Cups a number of times as the "too good to be true" card. An idealization of the happy-family-cliche, an unwillingness to see cracks in the facade, whether it's our own or someone else's. That's a darker side of this card - and in the RWS we have this very clear line showing us that we see a theater backdrop, a painting - not necessarily reality.
Yes, a "pie in the sky," naive kind of optimism. I think I'll add that one. The last time it came up for me, it was in the "recent past" for a man who had the 10 of Swords in the outcome position. I talked to him about the "endings" implied by the Tens, and only after the reading found out that he had been recently divorced. He didn't give me any details, but I could guess.

ETA: Done. Thanks for the insight.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kyan

Post by kyan » 07 Feb 2018, 13:35

loving the blog tweaks, and it’s true about the shadow sides of most every card. even silver linings can tarnish.

nemia, i really love your clever interpretation of that rosy background in the 10 C as a visually deceiving theater backdrop!

on the brighter side, my friend has a hungarian saying which he sometimes applies to the five of cups, something like, “it’s better to have enjoyed three cups of water than to look forward to two cups of pálinka.”

...which is a clear, vile tasting 100+ proof concoction :icon_redface: :icon_lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 07 Feb 2018, 14:29

Nemia wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 10:00
Do you often read with reversals? I normally don't and might think of "too good to be true" as what you get when the card comes in a "bad" spread position. If I was using reversals, I think I'd say that was 10CRx.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 07 Feb 2018, 15:50

It depends on the deck, but mostly I read without reversals. I look at the question, spread position, surrounding cards, astrological time and people involved, elements etc to see which aspects of the card come out most clearly.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 07 Feb 2018, 19:05

I do everything Nemia does, but then I use reversals to give inflection to what I call the "mode of delivery." It doesn't change the core meaning of a card, just how it is presented to the querent's perception. I have a whole list of the different ways this can happen (at least in my own practice); I'll see if I can find it, since I think the last time I posted it was on AT. I'm pretty sure it was published in the American Tarot Association's monthly newsletter last year, but I'm not certain how many ATA members we have here. I think the only decks I don't use it with are those that are specifically designed not to consider reversal, like the Voyager Tarot.

Ah, here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmh9o7ypnudu9 ... .pdf?raw=1

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “History & Symbolism”