Sola Busca and Game of Saturn

Discussions of the arcane symbols of Tarot and other decks
Forum rules
Symbols appear on each and every tarot card - visual signs that convey meaning. Some of them are highly individual and personal, others time-honored and traditional. Some are easy to understand, others difficult and multivalent. In this forum, we want to study symbols from different decks, traditions and cultures together using books, websites, lwbs and our own intuition.
Pleiades

Sola Busca and Game of Saturn

Post by Pleiades » 17 Sep 2017, 14:03

Does anyone have a copy of this deck?
Has anyone read the book?

After waiting for an affordable deck to come out for a decade, I have just ordered the Llewellyn version. I wanted the Scarlet imprint one or Wolfgang Mayer one, but they are both sooo expensive that "but it is a really important deck and it will increase in value as a ltd edition, and it won't be on the market long, and it is excellent quality" doth butter no parsnips with my bank account.

With the Llewellyn deck I can get Peter Mark Adams book as well for those prices.

I have listened to two interviews with him on his book, Rune Soup and Occult of Personality. He gives a lot more info on Occult of Personality interview, and this deck seems like a whole history and philosophy module. I am also interested in the magic side of it. Clearly one to approach with caution, and something that could be adapted for modern needs, but as someone totally inexperienced in grimoire type stuff this would amount to speculation and listening to what proper occultists have to say on it.

I'd also be interested to find out what other people use the deck for other than history. Readings? contemplation? it seems to say...if you dare!
All the stories I have ever heard and am yet to hear are alive in me, all at once, and at all times.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joan Marie

Re: Sola Busca and Game of Saturn

Post by Joan Marie » 17 Sep 2017, 16:07

I bought this deck about a year ago. It was very expensive. The prints were beautiful, of an entirely different quality than normal cards.

But it left me a little cold at first. The cards are larger and the ones I got are from a numbered series of prints that were made in the 90's (the Mayer deck, now sold out) and had plain white back and square corners. Later though, I took it out and have been using it regularly ever since. It's like something just happened and I can hardly believe I had so much difficulty with it at first. They suddenly felt like old friends to me. I find it extremely communicative. There are layers and layers of things going on. What I find really interesting about it is how the cards communicate with each other. The symbolism is very arcane yet somehow natural. Like I am being let in on the mystery.

The Saturn book looks really interesting but I don't have it yet.

I did an interview with Giordano Berti, a historian of Tarot and preserver of decks. (you can see it here: http://eclectic.jomay.com/viewtopic.php ... 4018#p4018 )

We are continuing the interview focusing next on Sola -Busca, an area of expertise of his. He has also written a book about it.
I have submitted my questions to him already and I hope for a really interesting exchange with him about this astonishing deck.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie » 17 Sep 2017, 16:25

I am not certain if the Game of Saturn edition is the same as the one Giordano Berti is also releasing through RINASCIMENTO. I wasn't aware Scarlett was selling the deck, I thought they just had that book.

Have a look at his web site (the new release made some improvements on the Mayer version- details on the website)
https://rinascimentoitalianartenglish.w ... arot-1491/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie » 02 Oct 2017, 15:51

I just ordered the Book of Saturn.

They have sold out all the fancy editions and all that's left is the paperback. It looks nice though, not a cheap paperback.

I've been doing more reading online about the alchemical symbols in Sola-Busca and decided I need the book.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK » 02 Oct 2017, 16:07

Joan Marie wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 16:07
I bought this deck about a year ago. It was very expensive. The prints were beautiful, of an entirely different quality than normal cards.

But it left me a little cold at first. The cards are larger and the ones I got are from a numbered series of prints that were made in the 90's (the Mayer deck, now sold out) and had plain white back and square corners. Later though, I took it out and have been using it regularly ever since. It's like something just happened and I can hardly believe I had so much difficulty with it at first. They suddenly felt like old friends to me. I find it extremely communicative. There are layers and layers of things going on. What I find really interesting about it is how the cards communicate with each other. The symbolism is very arcane yet somehow natural. Like I am being let in on the mystery.

The Saturn book looks really interesting but I don't have it yet.

I did an interview with Giordano Berti, a historian of Tarot and preserver of decks. (you can see it here: viewtopic.php?f=198&t=446&p=4018#p4018 )

We are continuing the interview focusing next on Sola -Busca, an area of expertise of his. He has also written a book about it.
I have submitted my questions to him already and I hope for a really interesting exchange with him about this astonishing deck.
This one is available from Watkins Books in London. I've ordered not so easy to find TdM decks from them in the past. Is this the deck you spoke to Giordano Berti about Joan Marie?

http://www.watkinsbooks.com/sola-busca-tarot-1491

ETA: I see that it is! The link above is for the 'Economy Art Box. There is a more upmarket version in the book shaped box:

http://www.watkinsbooks.com/divination/ ... xe-edition

This is really nice. I wonder how different it is to the Lo Scarabeo 'Ancient Souls' version?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie » 10 Oct 2017, 16:52

Just a quick note. I just received the book today. I haven't had a chance to explore it yet but I have to say this paperback edition is extremely high quality. It's a large format with heavy slick pages, beautiful prints.

I'm really pleased with the physical and visual aspect of it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Belinda2

Post by Belinda2 » 13 Jan 2018, 22:46

Well did you find that it was worth the money?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Michael Sternbach
Site Admin

Post by Michael Sternbach » 14 Jan 2018, 14:36

Hi Belinda

Joan Marie is no longer on the board and will not be able to reply to your question. Just so you know.

Game of Saturn is a remarkable book of great depth. No quick and easy read though, IMO. My copy is still waiting on the shelf for a moment when I will have time and leisure to make an in-depth study of both the book and the SB deck.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 15 Jan 2018, 17:20

I've been craving this deck for some time, but sadly the one I really want (Scarlet Imprint) is too pricey for me to justify buying it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “History & Symbolism”