The Hanged Monarch

Discussions of the arcane symbols of Tarot and other decks
Forum rules
Symbols appear on each and every tarot card - visual signs that convey meaning. Some of them are highly individual and personal, others time-honored and traditional. Some are easy to understand, others difficult and multivalent. In this forum, we want to study symbols from different decks, traditions and cultures together using books, websites, lwbs and our own intuition.
Barleywine

The Hanged Monarch

Post by Barleywine » 30 Sep 2017, 11:21

My take on the Hanged Man, in as few words as possible. (The words I wrote a while ago are at the bottom.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yb0jl95bnyonj ... .pdf?raw=1

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Re: The Hanged Monarch

Post by theFeeLion » 30 Sep 2017, 22:23

I quite like your take on the Hanged Man :icon_e_biggrin:

After reading your attachment I thought about my associations for this card. My thoughts immediately went to Froud's Faeries Oracle, the deck of any sort that I know best. The Topsie Turvets and The Singers of Initiation and Transfiguration, in particular, sprang to mind

Keywords from the book:
Change of viewpoint. Fresh looks. New ways of seeing.

Keywords from the book:
Passage through trial. Triumph. New level.

Keywords from the book:
Transformation. Transcendance. Metamorphosis.

I often like to relate tarot to this particular oracle. I think it also helps me to look at them differently like both the Hanged Man and the Turvets encourage us all to do :icon_e_smile:
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Michael Sternbach
Site Admin

Post by Michael Sternbach » 16 Oct 2017, 15:53

theFeeLion wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 00:30
Plus I have a number of random questions rolling around on the loose in my brain like, why is the Hanged Man's leg always bent?
For the same reason the Emperor's leg is bent: It is representing the number 4 - whereas the arms of the Hanged Man usually form a triangle, hinting at the number 3.

4 x 3 = 12, but what is significant here is that 4 is on top of 3. 4 stands for the material world of four elements, directions etc., whereas 3 represents the three qualities, the Trinity etc, in other words, the spiritual world.

So on this card, the material dominates over the spiritual. This is in line with the Gnostic and alchemical thinking that forms part of the background for Tarot. The Soul is seen as bound by the physical world and body - until it reaches the transcendence that is represented by Trump 21.

Therefore, the posture of the "dancer" on the World is exactly the opposite of the unfortunate guy on Trump 12.

Makes sense?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 16 Oct 2017, 18:33

In the Thoth Hanged Man, the crossed legs look like a Saturn glyph when upright and a Jupiter glyph when reversed (and of course the toes are on the wrong side of the right foot). For this reason I prefer seeing the Hanged Man reversed in a reading; it looks like Richard Nixon flashing his twin "victory" signs. Reversed, I see it as emergence rather than submergence. Upright, he's got his head "where the Sun don't shine;" reversed, he's sticking it cautiously above the rim of the foxhole.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “History & Symbolism”