Oswald Wirth, Tarot of the Magician and Universal Wirth

Discussions of the arcane symbols of Tarot and other decks
Forum rules
Symbols appear on each and every tarot card - visual signs that convey meaning. Some of them are highly individual and personal, others time-honored and traditional. Some are easy to understand, others difficult and multivalent. In this forum, we want to study symbols from different decks, traditions and cultures together using books, websites, lwbs and our own intuition.
Nemia
Global Moderator

Re: Oswald Wirth, Tarot of the Magician and Universal Wirth

Post by Nemia » 21 Oct 2017, 12:08

Michael Sternbach wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 20:31
Oh, BTW, it's important to study the original Wirth deck first, before perhaps looking at some of the derivatives. :icon_e_wink:
The derivative came my way by a lucky chance, and the original(s) will follow in time ;-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

katrinka

Post by katrinka » 21 Oct 2017, 16:32

spyder wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 14:23
I only read with the majors. I like to keep it simple. ;)
Majors-only decks are great for reading alongside non-Tarot decks. A lot of people look for interesting ways to combine Tarot with Lenormand, playing cards, etc. The problem is that with a full deck of Tarot, there's 56 Minors, plus whatever your other deck includes - a playing card deck is basically 52 Minors, giving you a grand total of 108. (You may or may not use the same interpretations, but they're still cards about day-to-day stuff.) I find that to be a bit of a redundancy. :icon_rolleyes:

And who can leave those pretty Wirths alone long? :icon_razz:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Michael Sternbach
Site Admin

Post by Michael Sternbach » 22 Oct 2017, 12:55

spyder wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 11:30
Michael Sternbach wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 20:29
In the Wirth deck - in spite of its apparent simplicity - there are esoteric secrets hidden that I did not find in any other deck among the many I studied. Most likely, Wirth had learned them from his mentor, the great occultist Stanislav de Guita.

Other than that, the Wirth is indispensable for anybody seeking a deeper understanding of the French school of Tarot, that was built around occult masters like Levy and Papus and is still the most viable alternative to the Golden Dawn system, which underlies most more modern decks.
Would you mind talking about the things you noticed that were unique to Wirth's decks? And how they have proved useful to you as a reader?
This pertains to occult knowledge that has been "hidden" in the cards. But it is not of much direct consequence for readings. It is relevant for those who study Tarot's "deep net" as an esoteric system, however. You will find a level of specific occult information not only in Wirth, but also in RWS, Thoth, and some others.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

katrinka

Post by katrinka » 28 Oct 2017, 00:19

Michael Sternbach wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 12:55
spyder wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 11:30
Michael Sternbach wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 20:29
In the Wirth deck - in spite of its apparent simplicity - there are esoteric secrets hidden that I did not find in any other deck among the many I studied. Most likely, Wirth had learned them from his mentor, the great occultist Stanislav de Guita.

Other than that, the Wirth is indispensable for anybody seeking a deeper understanding of the French school of Tarot, that was built around occult masters like Levy and Papus and is still the most viable alternative to the Golden Dawn system, which underlies most more modern decks.
Would you mind talking about the things you noticed that were unique to Wirth's decks? And how they have proved useful to you as a reader?
This pertains to occult knowledge that has been "hidden" in the cards. But it is not of much direct consequence for readings. It is relevant for those who study Tarot's "deep net" as an esoteric system, however. You will find a level of specific occult information not only in Wirth, but also in RWS, Thoth, and some others.
I think of the occult stuff as often "of much direct consequence for readings". It's part of the card meaning, you just have to ramp it down to the most mundane levels. It's how people get the Thoth to answer questions like "will my parcel arrive this week?", "Will Joey ask me out?" and "Why does my car die out when I stop at a red light?" Wirth does this himself when he talks about the Devil as seduction, etc. The cards have levels. ;)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “History & Symbolism”