Tarot cards as symbols of the weekdays

Discussions of the arcane symbols of Tarot and other decks
Forum rules
Symbols appear on each and every tarot card - visual signs that convey meaning. Some of them are highly individual and personal, others time-honored and traditional. Some are easy to understand, others difficult and multivalent. In this forum, we want to study symbols from different decks, traditions and cultures together using books, websites, lwbs and our own intuition.
Nemia
Global Moderator

Tarot cards as symbols of the weekdays

Post by Nemia » 04 Oct 2017, 21:33

There are symbols on tarot cards, and there are also ways in which the tarot cards can symbolize something else. For example the days of the week.

Most people are aware that Monday and Sunday have a connection to the luminaries, Moon and Sun, but probably not, that the other days of the week are related to the planets known since ancient times.

If you sort the planets according to their speed (which indicates their distance from earth - the farther away, the more slowly they move through the night skies), you get the famous Chaldean order:

Saturn - Jupiter - Mars - Sun - Venus - Mercury - Moon

If you take these planets and write them at the tips of a seven-pointed star, then you get the sequence of the planets as they rule our weekdays.

Sunday is ruled by the Sun;

Monday by the Moon;

Tuesday by Mars (called Tyr or Tiw in Norse mythology);

Wednesday by Mercury (French Mercredi - Woden/Odin is a psychopomp Norse god);

Thursday by Jupiter (Jeudi in French - Thor is the Norse equivalent to Jupiter, the thunder god);

Friday by Venus (called Freya or Frigg in Norse mythology);

and Saturday by Saturn.

It is quite fascinating to look at the Wikipedia entry for the weekdays' names and to see how universal these assignations are.

A nursery rhyme reflects the belief that the weekday we're born on influences our fate - even if the different versions seem to suit astrological assocations with the different gods only partially.

Monday's child is fair of face
Tuesday's child is full of grace
Wednesday's child is full of woe
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child who is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonnie and blithe and good and gay.

It's easy now to assign a planetary tarot ruler to each day (following the GD arrangement of correspondences):

Monday - the Moon - High Priestess

Tuesday - Mars - Tower

Wednesday - Mercury - Magician

Thursday - Jupiter - Wheel of Fortune

Friday - Venus - Empress

Saturday - Saturn - World

Sunday - Sun - Sun

This allows you to fine-tune the tarot cards of the day (discussed in Personal Cards already).

Take for example today: October 5th, a Thursday

Libra: Justice

2nd decan: Saturn - World

Thursday: Jupiter - Wheel of Fortune

So the "tarot signature" for today would be Justice - World - Wheel of Fortune.

For tomorrow, it would already be Justice - World - World

and for Sunday: Justice - World - Sun.

You can check the tarot signature for your birthday. If you don't know your birthday's weekday, check it out here.

My birthday cards are Hierophant - Wheel of Fortune - High Priestess

And what can you do with this revolutionary knowledge :icon_e_wink: practically? Well, I intend to include the cards for the day of the week in my tarot calendar. And when I get the same card in my Deck of the Week daily reading, I see it as strengthening - I like feeling that my daily draws are "in tune" with signature cards of the time. And I also like to see how the mundane and the cosmos and tarot are connected in so many ways.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Re: Tarot cards as symbols of the weekdays

Post by Nemia » 18 Oct 2017, 12:16

Here are two examples for decks we can use to symbolize the weekdays:

Arcana of Astrology is a beautiful deck with simple renderings of the planets - I personally use this deck to show on my tarot calendar the planetary rulers of the decans and the moon phases, but of course I could use them for the weekdays, too.

Mantegna Tarot - not really a tarot but a Lo Scarabeo re-interpretation of a Renaissance deck that unites the different concepts of the time in allegorical depictions. There is a group of cosmological allegories, among them the seven planets.

I will use these to show the days of the week by their rulers - Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn, as explained above.

(Sorry for the different sizes - there was not enough room on my scanner for seven cards - I'll re-scan them in groups of similar size but don't have the time for that now....)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 04 Dec 2017, 04:33

I have taken the Mantegna tarot into use as indicators of the day's planetary ruler.

Next to my worktable, I have a magnetic board which serves as my tarot calendar. On the little shelf, I arrange the Arcana of Astrology Moon Phase cards and the Mantegna planet cards.

In the middle, the planetary ruler of the decan.

I'll try to take these influences into account with my daily Deck of the Week card. Let's see how that works.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann » 04 Nov 2018, 11:39

Right now, I am using the Barbieri Zodiac Oracle by B. Moore and P. Barbieri. Beautiful deck and no nonsense information. it is helping me a bit. But Astrology is a bit above my head.

This the image Jupiter was taken from.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Michael Sternbach
Site Admin

Post by Michael Sternbach » 05 Nov 2018, 11:14

Nemia wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 21:33
There are symbols on tarot cards, and there are also ways in which the tarot cards can symbolize something else. For example the days of the week.

Most people are aware that Monday and Sunday have a connection to the luminaries, Moon and Sun, but probably not, that the other days of the week are related to the planets known since ancient times.

If you sort the planets according to their speed (which indicates their distance from earth - the farther away, the more slowly they move through the night skies), you get the famous Chaldean order:

Saturn - Jupiter - Mars - Sun - Venus - Mercury - Moon

If you take these planets and write them at the tips of a seven-pointed star, then you get the sequence of the planets as they rule our weekdays.

Sunday is ruled by the Sun;

Monday by the Moon;

Tuesday by Mars (called Tyr or Tiw in Norse mythology);

Wednesday by Mercury (French Mercredi - Woden/Odin is a psychopomp Norse god);

Thursday by Jupiter (Jeudi in French - Thor is the Norse equivalent to Jupiter, the thunder god);

Friday by Venus (called Freya or Frigg in Norse mythology);

and Saturday by Saturn.

It is quite fascinating to look at the Wikipedia entry for the weekdays' names and to see how universal these assignations are.

A nursery rhyme reflects the belief that the weekday we're born on influences our fate - even if the different versions seem to suit astrological assocations with the different gods only partially.

Monday's child is fair of face
Tuesday's child is full of grace
Wednesday's child is full of woe
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child who is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonnie and blithe and good and gay.

It's easy now to assign a planetary tarot ruler to each day (following the GD arrangement of correspondences):

Monday - the Moon - High Priestess

Tuesday - Mars - Tower

Wednesday - Mercury - Magician

Thursday - Jupiter - Wheel of Fortune

Friday - Venus - Empress

Saturday - Saturn - World

Sunday - Sun - Sun

This allows you to fine-tune the tarot cards of the day (discussed in Personal Cards already).

Take for example today: October 5th, a Thursday

Libra: Justice

2nd decan: Saturn - World

Thursday: Jupiter - Wheel of Fortune

So the "tarot signature" for today would be Justice - World - Wheel of Fortune.

For tomorrow, it would already be Justice - World - World

and for Sunday: Justice - World - Sun.

You can check the tarot signature for your birthday. If you don't know your birthday's weekday, check it out here.

My birthday cards are Hierophant - Wheel of Fortune - High Priestess

And what can you do with this revolutionary knowledge :icon_e_wink: practically? Well, I intend to include the cards for the day of the week in my tarot calendar. And when I get the same card in my Deck of the Week daily reading, I see it as strengthening - I like feeling that my daily draws are "in tune" with signature cards of the time. And I also like to see how the mundane and the cosmos and tarot are connected in so many ways.

Hi Nemia

Going off on a tangent, the diagram you posted has some further fascinating implications. For one thing, the electrical conductivity of the classical metals follows the Chaldean order of the planets attributed to them - going in a circle from lead (Saturn) with the lowest conductivity to silver (Moon) with the highest conductivity.

The only exception is mercury, but then, it is a liquid at ordinary (i.e. room) temperature, and it is known that any metal is a relatively poor conductor when in a liquified state.

But it gets even better: If you connect the planets (still circularly ordered according to their respective speeds), by way of a wide-angled heptagram (rather than a narrow-angled one as in your picture), such as shown here:

What you get is their corresponding metals in the order of their atomic numbers! (Which is how they are ordered in the Periodic System and corresponds with the number of protons in their nucleus.)

Mars/Iron: 26
Venus/Copper: 29
Moon/Silver: 47
Jupiter/Tin: 50
Sun/Gold: 79
Mercury/Quicksilver: 80
Saturn/Lead: 82

Welcome to a veritable astro-chemical rabbit hole! :64(34):

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links