Sacred Days of Yule 2017 - beginning on Dec 20

Forum rules
There are some decks that we all know and love. And then there are the lesser known treasures. Deck of the Week is a really fantastic way to explore decks that are loved but under-used. Here you can see what decks other people are using and how they apply the cards to everyday situations.
CharlotteK

Re: Sacred Days of Yule 2017 - beginning on Dec 20

Post by CharlotteK »

Ok, so I am going to go way, way out of my comfort zone, stretch my intuition, and try this as a daily draw with the Tyldwick Tarot by Malpertuis.

1. Mother Night of Dreams: - Dec 20th This card reminds us to look for a particular message in our dreams tonight. The ancients believed that our dreams on this night foretold some of the important events in the coming year.

Two of Staves - I had a strange dream last night. I dyed my hair black and cut the front very short. I was presenting a very severe look but I had jobs to do that involved helping people and coordinating things. This card shows two flowering stems of the exotic kniphofia plant. We had them in the garden when I was a child. They thrive in full Sun and like their feet to be kept dry. One of the stems is taller than the other but it has a smaller flower. The messages I am getting from this card and from my dream are about balancing - the severe with the gentle, appearances with what lies within, breadth and depth, growth and consolidation etc. I also think there is a message in there somewhere too about being bold and a bit experimental.

2. Yule - Winter Solstice: - Dec 21st This card shows us how best to connect to the Light within and without - it symbolizes the Birth of the Sun.

The Moon - an interesting card to draw as a symbol of the Birth of the sun. This card shows the moon reflected in an ornate mirror above a grand fireplace surround featuring sculptures of two dogs facing each other in upright 'beg' positions. The room is lit only by the moon and has a dusty, monochrome feel. Behind the mirror is ornate wallpaper but in the shadowy room it is reminiscent of a moonscape. There is no sign of fire in the hearth and little warmth but a fireguard decorated with a crustacean hides the fireplaces from view. This is the moon's time before the Sun rise. It's light shines in through a window but is magnified by the mirror.

Yesterday I really felt in that pre-Christmas 'limbo' stage. Still two days at work before the Christmas break but things were much quieter than usual. I went out in the evening for a curry with the Zen Group I sat with for many years and had a wonderful, gentle peaceful time. The moon for me here is the pause before the onslaught (which starts today as much preparation is needed for a family christmas). It genuinely was a time for reflection on what I want out of 2018 including getting my meditation/Yoga room at home sorted out and going to sit with the Zen Group again regularly

3. The Time of Beth: - Dec 22nd This card points to the inner blocks and resistance that is holding us back from following our dreams.

Queen of Coins - The Queen' s face is reflected in a mirror which is set into a marble surround mounted into a stone wall and sits above a water fountain in the shape idea lions head. Below the fountain is a lily pond on either side of which large stone frogs or toads sit like sentinels. Behind the wall are thick, high brambles.

In this position, this card suggests that in pouring so much of myself into my work, my family, and my homelife I may not be allowing myself the time and space to pursue other things that are important. I recognise this to be true. I have extremely little time to do anything other than go to work, do the shopping, look after the household chores, look after my son etc. These things are all important of course. But the question for me am I using them as excuses for not being brave? I would like to reduce my work hours to do other things but reducing my income would be a huge step. I do feel that I need to re-evaluate my longer term goals and what will get me there and off the hamster wheel.

4. Hopi Time of Renewal Dec 23rd This card indicates the best way for us to seek purification and renewal, and to build tolerance for others.

The card of the day was The Emperor. I don't even want to talk about this day as I spent some of it in a supermarket buying food for Christmas dinner which was horrible, but I spent most of it in bed. I felt dreadfully ill. The Emperor here is in a library. It bears no relation to what my day was like. But if I think about the theme of the day I might say that I can find renewal through careful study and research.

5. Feast of Mothers, Christmas Eve: - Dec 24th This card shows how we can connect with the spirits of our ancestors for communion and to ask for wisdom and guidance. It is also a time for Christians to reflect on the birth of Christ.

Today's card is Death, who appears as a reflection in a mirror above a traditional church organ. It suggests that I could attend church for communion and guidance but I feel more inclined to resume my Zen practice. Death is a huge part of Zen especially the death of the ego.

6. Festival of Life, Christmas: - Dec 25th This card shows us how to connect directly with Spirit.

7. Yuletide, Kwanzaa: - Dec 26th This card shows us how to express nurturance, to attend to our families and to express the protective energy within us towards others.

8. Birth of Freyja: - Dec 27th This card points to issues of love, luck, artistic and creative expression and female wisdom.

9. Feast of Alcyone: - Dec 28th This card gives us a personal inner message - one that speaks directly to our heart and spirit.

10. Day of Nymphs - Dec 29th This card encourages us to connect to our playful side, our inner child and how best to cultivate this aspect of ourselves.

11. Day of Rest: - Dec 30th This card shows us how to walk our path in a relaxed and confident way....with the ability to deal with stressful situations in a philosophical, detached way.

12. New Year's Eve, Hogmanay - Dec 31st This card shows us how to release the old and let in the new. This relates to both our external lives and our inner being.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion »

I'm going to give this a go using my Shadowscapes deck :icon_e_biggrin:

***Ok, so I fully intended to do this in bite-sized pieces! As I sat here staring at the spread while shuffling away, not really paying a huge amount of attention to either just trying to decide how many I would pull today as I wasn't sure if I would have time tomorrow, cards started falling out. The first four came out by themselves so I asked if any more wanted to join in today. Four more came out all together. Again I asked if any more wanted join, and one by one the last four dropped out.

Still not sure how I am going to do this, I guess I will just go with the flow and let the cards speak when their ready. Maybe I'll add insights at the end of each day-ish.

1. Mother Night of Dreams: - Dec 20th This card reminds us to look for a particular message in our dreams tonight. The ancients believed that our dreams on this night foretold some of the important events in the coming year.

Strength
Normally when I look at this card I am drawn to the central figures or the orb under the lion's paws. Today, however, I'm drawn to the cat on the left looking ready to pounce as he stares at the birds perched on the large bowl to the right. He has a small bell dangling from a red ribbon under his paw and looks as though he has finally managed to take it off so he can, at last, get the little birds that have been taunting him for so long.
I'm also drawn to the acorn carved into the stone underneath the birds' bowl perch. A symbol of new growth and the promise of strength in the form of the Oak it will eventually become.

The cat has to wait patiently for the perfect time to pounce, just as the acorn must wait for just the right conditions in which to sprout. Ha, this is another somewhat sideways way of telling me I need balance (something that has been coming up alot for me lately). A sword cannot be used straight out of the fire, it must be tempered first. Just as a cat cannot catch its prey without first losing the bell.

This may also be a reference to my physio appointment tomorrow. I'm supposed to be getting some strengthening exercises for my arm to help me get back in shape so I can go back to work.

ETA: for three nights after writing this I had some pretty vivid, somewhat forcefull dreams. Nothing frightening, just unusual, different from the kind of dreams i would normally have.

2. Yule - Winter Solstice: - Dec 21st This card shows us how best to connect to the Light within and without - it symbolizes the Birth of the Sun.

Six of Wands
I'm definitely struggling with this one. After the Strength card, this looks as though the guy is standing triumphantly atop the Lion who has had to relinquish his fire and turn to stone...
So, Yule... I wonder if that's where things are going a bit wonky...? For me, this time is the Summer Solstice, when the sun is at its peak and the day is the longest. Hmmm, I think I might have started this all too early... the Solstice is on Friday for me, not tomorrow. Oh well the cards are already pulled so lets see how this all goes.
For a Fire card, the image has a decidedly Earthy feel, the colours are more muted, the fiery lion is now stone, and a green orb/gem rests beside him. And then there's that guy standing on the lion. Why does he annoy me so much? Aside from the fact that it seems eminently disrespectful to the poor lion who seems so very sad and resigned to his fate. Why should Mr I-think-I'm-awesome-because-I-have-a-laurel-wreath be awarded said laurel wreath at the expense of another??
Hmmm... I wonder if this is another reminder to always stay grounded and also a hint to be careful of using others to further my goals...?

ETA: Looking back at this card there could be a hint at the patience needed to achieve goals

***Alright, I know I've been terrible in keeping up with writing up these cards each day but here I go on the catch-up...

3. The Time of Beth: - Dec 22nd This card points to the inner blocks and resistance that is holding us back from following our dreams.

Eight of Wands
My eye is immediately drawn to the dandelion heads and the seeds blowing in the wind, I was one of those kids that always liked making wishes when blowing on dandelion heads :icon_e_biggrin: The figure in the middle looks like she is both blowing the seeds on their way, and receiving them before she decides which wishes she will grant and send to their destinations.
This reminds me of how to manifest things in one's life: the need to put as much intent as one can into the wishing part but also the need to let the wish fly free on the breeze once the intent has been made clear. Holding on too tightly will not result in wishes or dreams fulfilled.

4. Hopi Time of Renewal: - Dec 23rd This card indicates the best way for us to seek purification and renewal, and to build tolerance for others.

Four of Wands
So for this one, I think that I need to seek "purification and renewal" in joy, particularly the joy of others and of being with others. It is so much harder to be joyful alone, and joy shared is multiplied many times over.

***I think it's important for me to note that I haven't really been looking at the book too much for the meanings of these cards. Maybe I'll go back at the end and see how far off I was...

5. Feast of Mothers, Christmas Eve: - Dec 24th This card shows how we can connect with the spirits of our ancestors for communion and to ask for wisdom and guidance. It is also a time for Christians to reflect on the birth of Christ.

Queen of Swords
This could either be referring to a woman with sharp sword-like/Airy qualities, or it could be referring to using logic and intelligence to connect with ancestors.

6. Festival of Life, Christmas: - Dec 25th This card shows us how to connect directly with Spirit.

Page of Swords
The image shows the Page cradling a cygnet in one arm with her sword held protectively aloft and out off the way with the other. Here's that Airy-ness again that I need in order to connect with Spirit.

7. Yuletide, Kwanzaa: - Dec 26th This card shows us how to express nurturance, to attend to our families and to express the protective energy within us towards others.
Queen of Pentacles

8. Birth of Freyja: - Dec 27th This card points to issues of love, luck, artistic and creative expression and female wisdom.
Nine of Swords

9. Feast of Alcyone: - Dec 28th This card gives us a personal inner message - one that speaks directly to our heart and spirit.
The Moon

10. Day of Nymphs - Dec 29th This card encourages us to connect to our playful side, our inner child and how best to cultivate this aspect of ourselves.
Queen of Cups

11. Day of Rest: - Dec 30th This card shows us how to walk our path in a relaxed and confident way....with the ability to deal with stressful situations in a philosophical, detached way.
Queen of Wands

12. New Year's Eve, Hogmanay - Dec 31st This card shows us how to release the old and let in the new. This relates to both our external lives and our inner being
Three of Cups

***Hmm... All four Queens... Huh. Well, I'll I guess I'll be crossing that interpretive bridge when I get to it.
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown »

I decided that I'm going to draw pairs: 1 from my vintage, pre-copyright RWS and the second from my 1JJ Swiss of a similar era.

5 of Cups + Death—It's necessary to let go of some stuff in order to clear the way for moving forward. I'll see if there's any path that might reveal itself in my dreams but, honestly, I never remember them if I even have them. I was having horrible dreams most nights a few months ago.
ImageImage

Strength + Empress— This is a tricky one for me. Like I talked about in the "Learning the Marseille" thread, I'm sometimes getting a little stuck between different systems and had some real problems untangling the intuitive suggestions of a psychological approach vs. an interpretation that's more strictly rooted in the cards.

Intuitive ideas:
Both cards feature women. This could be referring to my wife and daughter as my connections to the lights.

ImageImage

As you can see, the 1JJ Empress is points towards her head. This immediately connected in my mind to the lemniscate over the head of Strength. It seems that the Empress is telling me something about high mindedness and maybe spirituality. I should learn more about what the lemniscate meant to the esoterics.

This could also be referring to my feminine aspects or traditionally feminine roles I find myself in. I have some ideas about this, but it would start turning into a memoir.

'Rooted' ideas:

Strength of the Empress: Viewing my life through a lens of power and abundance not weakness and lack.
Strength for the Empress: Be strong for my daughter. In learning how to serve her needs I will grow myself.
Wield Strength as the Empress: The same as above about embracing more of my feminine aspects.

The World + 10 of Swords.
Image Image
My, but isn't that on point.

4. Hopi Time of Renewal Dec 23rd This card indicates the best way for us to seek purification and renewal, and to build tolerance for others.

Knight of Swords + Jupiter
ImageImage

After yesterday, these two cards strike and immediate contrast the fast moving knight of swords vs a moping Jupiter locked in his 10 of Swords mindset. Action over thought. The real over the platonic.
8 of Pentacles + Lovers
ImageImage
The Moon + 2 of Cups Rx
ImageImage

Here, the 'intuitive' and 'rooted' interpretations say pretty much the same thing. Go down into the deep and bail out that psychic bilge water. Find out how to drain the swamp of my negative emotions.

As I've mentioned in another thread, I'm pretty good and orderly with my shuffling, cutting, etc. so when I have a jumper or some such I usually give it some weight. Today, I had a little touch problem with the cut and couldn't quite ascertain which was which. After looking at the first card (V Rx), I decided to see what the other would have been and got a definite don't do this, do this, vibe, which makes sense given what I was feeling during the shuffle/cut.

Interpretation: Both the King of Swords and a reversed Hierophant are roles that come easily to me. This pair tells me to use my intellect to analyze, think through, and solve problems, as is my nature but to identify the problems through feeling and intuition rather than some ossified rubric that may or may not be of any value.

4 of Swords + 5 of Cups
ImageImage

6 of Swords + Jupiter
ImageImage

9 of Wands + Ace of Cups
ImageImage

King of Cups + 10 of Cups
ImageImage
12. New Year's Eve, Hogmanay - Dec 31st This card shows us how to release the old and let in the new. This relates to both our external lives and our inner being.
Queen of Pentacles + Justice

ImageImage
Last edited by Charlie Brown on 27 Dec 2017, 18:59, edited 8 times in total.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
YlvaJackdaw

Post by YlvaJackdaw »

I know we're only three days in, but how is everybody else finding this spread? Their choice of deck?

I'm sooooo pleased I picked the Greenwood. It has exactly the depth and darkness an honest reading needs.

The spread is wonderful :) Is it weird to say that I'm finding it to be a very satisfying process? Because I am :icon_e_biggrin:

Really enjoying reading everybody else's cards and interpretations and looking forward to more :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

YlvaJackdaw wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 04:28 I know we're only three days in, but how is everybody else finding this spread? Their choice of deck?
I've definitely got the right decks, the readings are much easier and quicker :icon_cool: .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

And here is my reading. I'm away from home for some days so I prepared the first batch of cards beforehand, i.e., I split the reading. I use the Pagan Cats Tarot. (I'm on vacation with insecure Internet connection and will keep my notes short for now).

Queen of Wands

I can't remember my dreams of that night - but I know that I slept very well and deeply, and awoke refreshed and happy. Just like this cat queen watching her kitten - and letting it go.

If I look at my life right now - it's pretty much like this queenly cat. I'm in a good, strong and comfortable place in life, but who can say that about his life and not eat his/her hat a short while afterwards? I'm grateful and try to give as much warmth and love as I can.

Knight of Cups

Oh, a beautiful card. This cat is not afraid to explore the world. I know I have to embrace changes, open myself to new people and experiences. I started last year and will have to continue next year. But I don't want to step on others...

Two of Swords

Indecision, wanting two things at the same time, and lack of self confidence - always core motifs for me. I have fulfilled a lot of my dreams in my life, let of others, and now I'm often worried how my dreams will continue to develop. Everything is so good in my life right now - I'm really afraid my luck won't hold.

Six of Pentacles

By giving and receiving, by not holding back, by being emotionally open to the needs of others. The Six of Pentacles is one of my favorites in every deck. In this interpretation, the Pagan Cats, I also see an element of chaos and order. Have fun - and clear up after yourself.

In my dealings with others, I find it easier to give than to receive. I have to learn to accept as happily as I give.

Ten of Swords

Through pain. (I'm still in the grip of a horrible nightmare that I woke up with, one of the truly evil dreams you just can't shake off that easily. I shouldn't interpret a Ten of Swords right now.) If I want to connect to my ancestors, and indeed I do want it, then I have to go through pain and, oh no, loss.

And also the question whether I'm a Christian still is painful because belief and religion were always important to me, and I have put quite a distance between my childhood belief (that held into my early 30s) and me. So what am I now? I don't want to be spiritually muddled and undecided. For years, I'm trying to find my position in relation to the beliefs I grew up with.

Four of Cups

Oh, again the turtle motif! On the 21st, I saw it on the Knight of Cups who told me how to connect to the light. And now the Four of Cups tells me how to connect with Spirit. So it's Cups - emotion, intuition, my inner Scorpio (Moon sign) - but while the search for light, enlightenment, illumination was shown as active card (the Knight must be the most active Cups card of them all), the search for Spirit is contemplative.

I look at what I have and what I don't have. The negative and positive sides of life? But no. The cat on the picture focuses on the cup that moves into her reach. It's the fourth cup, the one to complete the series...

So how do I connect to Spirit? Focus, patience, reliance on my abilities. A great card for this position I think. And I totally only looked at the card, not at the traditional meaning.

Seven of Wands

There we have the protective energy - and it's also self-protective. I protect my family and sometimes, I have to protect myself against attacks from within the family. Right now, my family is united and I have good relations with everybody; there's no need for me to hiss or threaten. There are some tensions between other members of the family, and I do try to help, but not by threats or a display of power. I'm more a spreader of harmony than a hisser.

How do I manage anger within the family? It's difficult. This card asks me how I do it now - and also reminds me of the times when my children were teenagers and anger did flare up, however much I tried to be endlessly patient. I still find it difficult to deal with the negative feelings within the family. They're there but I'd prefer them to disappear.

A very challenging card for me.

Judgement

What will I say on Judgement Day? what will the divine judgement be? Love - I was lucky and have a very happy marriage full of love and understanding. Luck - I can only be grateful for the many instance of luck I had. Artistic and creative expression - I have long neglected my artistic side which once was a highly important part of my life. There are some projects I have to take up again - I know it and yet I don't. And female wisdom? Do I have some? Did I learn anything in my advanced years? I'm never sure.

I have the feeling that the goddess Hestia/Vesta is calling me to learn wisdom from her. This is a goddess I have learned to love and appreciate more and more. When I was younger, Aphrodite (in all her guises), Artemis and Demeter meant a lot to me and still do. But lately, Hestia is present in my life and wants to teach me. I guess the time has come to build an altar for Hestia and let her lead me more.

Knight of Pentacles

In this position, on this day, my personal context of life overrides the spread positions (even though I love Alcyone and the Pleiads). It's the birthday of one of my children, and a real Knight of Pentacles character. This is a totally personal card for me. A wonderful, pragmatic, cool-headed, ambitious, honest, reliable and very very talented young person.

Magician

My playful, but also creative side - and the Magician with his deep connection to the tools of tarot... not afraid to perform before others. I know what this card wants to tell me. On this card, the Magician's table looks like an altar - and I know that I have to establish at least one shrine in my house. I'm no pagan, so it won't look like a pagan altar, but I know exactly what I have to do. Translate serious insights into playful, happy actions and places. I love the idea of nymphs by the way - seeing a living being in every tree and every brook and every meadow... everything connects in my mind...

Devil

Yes, and that philosophical, detached way always escapes me, and that's what the Devil tells me. This card simply tells me to relax ;-) because the worst that can happen is that i look ridiculous. And then what?

Wheel of Fortune

I preach it to others but find it hard to accept for my own life: accept the ups and downs of life. There are patterns, there is some inner logic to it, I can't control it all. I should probably be more like a cat - sleep, eat and let things take care of themselves. Accept my character that is difficult, accept my life choices that brought me to the quiet, happy place where I am and where I feel good. And let go of the dream to force fate in any way.

A lovely deck.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

YlvaJackdaw wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 04:28 I know we're only three days in, but how is everybody else finding this spread? Their choice of deck?

I'm sooooo pleased I picked the Greenwood. It has exactly the depth and darkness an honest reading needs.

The spread is wonderful :) Is it weird to say that I'm finding it to be a very satisfying process? Because I am :icon_e_biggrin:

Really enjoying reading everybody else's cards and interpretations and looking forward to more :)
I love this spread, I love this time of the year, I love the four signposts of the year and I'm totally happy with my choice of deck. My only problem is that I'm not at home, can't "celebrate" the cards the way I do at home in my tarot-soaked study, and that my Internet connection is unstable here. The conditions are less than ideal but the spread is wonderful and I'm so, so glad that we are many. Going through Winter Solstice with a group of tarot-obsessed people and wonderful decks is SO special. I don't think anyone else can understand how wonderful it is! I have nobody IRL who understands my spiritual needs. So thanks to all of you *group hug* for going through these magical days together!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Seldes Katne

Post by Seldes Katne »

I think it's going pretty well. I'm able to keep up with the daily schedule, my choice of deck appears to be a good one, and I appreciate the incentive to do on-going readings. I can't say I've had any startling revelations, but we are only four days in....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
YlvaJackdaw

Post by YlvaJackdaw »

Seldes Katne wrote: 23 Dec 2017, 10:04 ...and I appreciate the incentive to do on-going readings.
Yes - that's something I'm really appreciating too. I used to do a daily draw as a matter of course, but I've really fallen out of a tarot routine. It's good to get up and start the day with this reading.

I'll have to make sure I keep up the habit in some way once this spread is complete.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

You're always welcome in our Deck of the Week daily spread circle, even if you don't complete a week.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1508

I find this daily routine very very helpful.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links