Deck of the Week #13: March 26 - April 1

Forum rules
There are some decks that we all know and love. And then there are the lesser known treasures. Deck of the Week is a really fantastic way to explore decks that are loved but under-used. Here you can see what decks other people are using and how they apply the cards to everyday situations.
Nemia
Global Moderator

Deck of the Week #13: March 26 - April 1

Post by Nemia »

Pick a deck to accompany you through your week. Tarot, Lenormand, Oracles, any tool of divination is welcome. Let us know in the comments which deck you chose, and I'll add you to the list in this first post.

Before we start, tell us more about your deck and your expectations.

On Monday, we start drawing a card each day. Draw your daily card at the time you choose, morning or evening. If you don't have the time to read every day, just jump in when you can.

Sharing pictures is great but not required.

How do the energies of your daily card manifest in your life?

If you want to, you can experiment with the well-known routine and use two decks instead of one. Inspired by Barleywine's Situational Blueprint!

You may pull together all the cards of the week for one "how was my week?" reading before moving on to the next deck.

Do whatever you need to get the maximum power out of your daily reading, and feel free to share!

Participants:
Seldes Katne - Whimsical Tarot
Charlotte K - Ancient Egyptian Tarot
Nemia - Nefertari Tarot

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Seldes Katne

Re: Deck of the Week #13: March 26 - April 1

Post by Seldes Katne »

I think this time I will work with the Whimsical Tarot. The fairy tale illustrations are charming, but I'm not sure how well the pictures will represent the traditional meaning of the cards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK »

Ancient Egyptian for me please!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

And I took out my Nefertari - I like the Etruscan so much, so why can't I warm to the Nefertari...?

Ten of Cups for today - that's encouraging, I had a not-so-good day yesterday. Let's hope it also tells me how my week with the Nefertari is going to feel!

ETA: took a picture of the card on a mini easel - looks so much better!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Seldes Katne

Post by Seldes Katne »

Perhaps not the most auspicious beginning:

A sense of feeling overburdened. (I recently drew this card as the final card for the Spring Equinox thread. Apparently someone's trying to tell me something....)

This makes sense in light of the volunteer projects I've recently taken on, along with a renovation at home (which is coming down to the end this week! Cheers! Celebration! :icon_e_biggrin: ). Time to stop, get my new schedule and responsibilities in order.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

I had my Ten of Cups today. One of my daughters has come home for some days, and I feel so happy!

But UGH Nine of Swords for tomorrow! I'll have a full day tomorrow, that's true - but please no heartache!

These Nerfertari cards look like nothing special when scanned. But on a mini easel...

... you can see the gold foil beautifully. Lovely deck. Mine suffered a bit because when I bought it, second hand, it REEKED from cigarettes. The former owner was a heavy smoker it seems. I bought two decks from her (she sold a lot of decks on AT and nobody ever complained, I didn't either - didn't want to embarrass her.... silly isn't it?) and left both open on trays for weeks, outside in the sun.... put them in the freezer, with lavender, fresh kitty litter, ground coffee, baking soda ... nothing nothing helped.

Finally, I took a high-alcohol body splash (Jean Nate, the good old classic) and put a bit on a cloth, and wiped down the decks. They were covered in brown slime and nothing but this stuff brought it down. When I dried them afterwards, the Nefertari cards stuck together (the other deck turned out fine - still smells of Jean Nate though, but better than cigarettes!).

But I don't mind it because the art of both the Etruscan and the Nerfertari looks intentionally scuffed and old. So the peeling patches of the black border really don't disturb me at all.

It's a lovely deck and the Egyptian style is really very well done. Silvana Alasia did the Nefertari, another one just like the Nerfertari only without the gold, and the Etruscan. I still don't know why I love the Etruscan so much and this one - less. Maybe because I love the Etruscans so much and the Egyptians just a tiny bit less? Still, I love Egyptian culture very much, I must have been a priestess of Bastet in an earlier life! Well, maybe a priestess of Freya - she had cats, too...

I don't know. But it's a special deck. The artist, Silvana Alasia, is very gifted. I don't know how much tarot expertise she has - these decks are from the time when Lo Scarabeo commissioned themed tarot decks from commercial artists. Some of these decks turned out very well (like the Alasia decks, the Atanassov ones, the Fey, the two decks by Lucia Mattioli: Secret Forest and Fairy Lights), some so-so (the flagship Lo Scarabeo deck - some cards just to comicky, the Secret Tarot - where the amazing and the wacky meet...) and some really horrible (oh those gnomes and mermaids... SO not my cup of tea!).

I checked: the Great Giordano Berti worked with Alasia on the decks, so she had very good instructions and I'd love to know what is her addition! (The Fey tarot book gives a lovely account of the collaboration of Riccardo Minetti with the young artist).

All these decks read with ease because they're firmly based on the RWS system. And they helped push the borders of the tarot.

I find these cards very beautiful and I'm glad I work with this deck now!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

glad your daughter is back in town for a spell!

:icon_eek: so weird about the smoker's cards... i was just gonna ask about what do with a smelly deck. the renaissance deck i described on the postman thread (with the weird waxy green gunk that seemingly grew out from the gold ink after hand oils were applied) also smells. not of cigarettes, but... i dunno. food? it reminds me of when i dated a chef and he could come home from work smelling like cooking oil. or, mayonnaise. subtle, but still, ugh.

that's great you were finally able to get rid of the cigarette smell from your nefertari deck, even if it suffered a little. the art seems authentic enough for sure, and like the etruscan, it's a deck i'm interested in owning.

with my renaissance deck, i'm not sure if i should spray it with perfume, because somebody did that to my friend's Dali deck (with Opium, which isn't my fave scent at ALL) and the alcohol lifted and speckled the varnish and even the ink on some of the cards, front and back. OH WELL.... maybe she splashed on too much tho, and a very fine mist would work out fine.... i should give it a try. the deck needs something, and it's already grungy and trimmed and edged in gold, so a little more distressing isn't gonna hurt.

but seriously, i love the idea of scented decks. i will have to see which cologne or perfume to use. i should probably choose a unisex or masculine scent for the renaissance deck. old spice, or hai karate? i'd love to use Antaeus by Chanel, but unfortunately that bottle doesn't come with a spritzer.

-----

HOWEVER, there seems to be an increasing number of folks out there that have allergies or are super sensitive to scents, so i guess a perfumed deck isn't the way to go if you do face to face reading with clients. oh, i'm sure some would be delighted, esp if they're scented with something nice and "new agey" like frankincense or patchouli or palo santo, etc..

sooooo, when exactly does the Herbal doTerra scratch n sniff tarot go on preorder???!?!? :icon_lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

Seldes Katne wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 15:22

This makes sense in light of the volunteer projects I've recently taken on, along with a renovation at home (which is coming down to the end this week! Cheers! Celebration! :icon_e_biggrin: ). Time to stop, get my new schedule and responsibilities in order.
wow, well i hope you pull the 3 of cups this week!

the renovation sounds like it's been a major ordeal, you must be overjoyed to have the workers out and have the chance to put things back in (their new) place!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

I keep my decks with incense sticks. I love the scent even if many people don't like it! For me, it means a wonderful "magical" atmosphere :-)

Jean Nate is not a real perfume - it's an alcoholic body splash with a nice fresh scent that passes quickly from the body. Not so quickly from cards :-) but it's unobtrusive and actually quite nice. If I wanted to get rid of it, I guess a week spread on a day would do the trick for the two decks.

Once, a baby kitten peed on one of my decks (i.e. on the nice crochet bag). Kitten pee doesn't smell bad but still... I wiped every card with baby wipes (that's what I had at hand) and spread them out for days, from time to time wiped them again. Washed the bag. The deck is like new. Not even warped.

My decks can tell stories!

Have to go now - let's hope the day will be better than the card!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

the incense idea is genius — i’ve already put bits of sticks in with the renaissance tarot... thank you!!!

bad kitty, sturdy cards! that’s amazing they held up the the baby wipes, but they are gentle, i suppose. plus, some cards are extremely durable, especially those with the super glossy lamination. i edged a glossy schiffer deck in a krylon metallic copper leafing paint pen and was able to simply scrape away from several cards the dried paint that blooped over onto the front and back. i just have to repeat the operation 70 more times, lol.

(i do not recommend the pens, btw. the paint never seemed to fully dry on the edges and while it still retains some luster, it definitely didn’t hold up as i had hoped. perhaps it needed a clear varnish.)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links