Deck of the Week #2 for July 24 - July 30

Forum rules
There are some decks that we all know and love. And then there are the lesser known treasures. Deck of the Week is a really fantastic way to explore decks that are loved but under-used. Here you can see what decks other people are using and how they apply the cards to everyday situations.
Nemia
Global Moderator

Deck of the Week #2 for July 24 - July 30

Post by Nemia »

Let's start to think about next week! Let me know in the comments which deck will go through the next week with you, and I'll add you to the list in this first post.

Tell us more about your deck, your expectations and what attracts you to it (or why you didn't use it much until now).

Oh, and please let me know whether you'd prefer to have two threads, one for general talk about the deck and one for the Card of the Day readings over the course of the week.

I like the one thread for everything... but I don't want to decide something that makes others feel uncomfortable.

Next week I want to work with a totally new deck - the Kissa tarot.

When I saw the name of this deck, I knew I'd have to buy it. Kissa is cat in Finnish, and it was also the name of my first Siamese cat, my darling, clever, neurotic, beautiful, talkative Kissa. I spent many happy summers in Finland as a child, my parents gave me a Finnish name and my father learned basics of Finnish - so it was obvious that our first cat would be called Kissa. I haven't been to Finland at least for 15 years but I still love everything Finnish. The deck is wonderful, too, not only its name. It's dreamy, thoughtful, and oh I'd love to write more about it! All those cats have faces that show clearly they know much more than they show. Nisaba wrote a beautiful, beautiful review.

I bought this deck a short time ago, I think it was my last AT trade, I looked at all the cards and didn't even shuffle it.

Ideal for a deck of the week since this will be my first opportunity to get to know this beauty. I'll post pics, too, and you'll tell me whether to trim it nor not :-)

Here is our list:

Nemia - Kissa tarot
CharlotteKAT - Roots of Asia tarot and Thoth (why not)
theFeeLion - Renaissance tarot
2dogs - DV Angel Tarot

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
CharlotteK

Re: Deck of the Week #2 for July 24 - July 30

Post by CharlotteK »

I should stick with Thoth, but I'm also desperate to get stuck into Roots of Asia, which just turned up! Can I have two??

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion »

I'm gonna jump on the DOTW train yay! I'll be using my shiny new Renaissance Tarot for this one, and probably the next few. I've never done this before so it'll be a bit of a learning curve for me. I don't have the companion book for it but I have Google fingers if need be :D

I'm happy either way when it comes to having a separate thread or not :)
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

I have the Renaissance book and if you want me to look anything up, I'll do it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion »

Nemia wrote: 21 Jul 2017, 07:00 I have the Renaissance book and if you want me to look anything up, I'll do it.
Oh that would be awesome! :D
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

I'll use my new DV Angel Tarot. I'm hoping the sentences printed on the cards will make them clearer and faster to read as with my fact decks and I'm enjoying the bright fantasy art 8-) .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

I had to draw my card for tomorrow now already; tomorrow morning I have to leave early and don't have time for my little ritual.

Here it is - my first reading with the Kissa Tarot!

The Hanged One.

I love the colours - wonderful blueish-purple-green surroundings, the only bright spots are the hanging woman and the cat - which is the brightest spot in the picture.

Like Death today, this is an uncanny card for my situation, our situation. I can't say more but this hits home very strongly. We're entering a time of family crisis and trouble and great, great insecurity. I'm frightened out of my wits, my husband takes it as a challenge. No idea what the future will bring. No control over it.

ETA: Just look how cleverly the artist composed the image - the hanged one is hanging with her head and nearly whole body before the water and in the water, depending on whether you accept perspective or see the picture as flat.

And the cat - I love the cats in this deck. They're curious, they're interested, and they have their own thoughts about what they see.

In spite of the difficult situation we're in right now, I think I'll have fun with this deck!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion »

Yay first time doing DOTW! :32(1): This should make for an interesting week :grin:

So for my first card I had the King of Staves jump out while shuffling

Not the best image but I couldn't find any better. Oh well.

First thing I thought when I saw this card was " oh look, he has a codpiece." Lol.

These are the notes I took before I had a look at the sparse LWB

Sits proudly on his throne
Points at himself or possibly his chain of office
One foot rests on a small chest. Almost as if to lay claim and prevent anyone else from gaining access without him permission. I'm not sure if he really cares what is in there, he seems to care more about controlling who has access.
He stares directly out of the card at me, no not quite at me, more over my shoulder. And is that a small half smile on his face?
This guy reminds me of Henry VIII for some reason.
Outfit is rather plush and royal looking in blues and purples, with a gold belt and chain and thick luxurious fur edging his cape/coat
His throne is very blocky and Roman-esque looking with all those pillars and arch shapes.
He sits, almost ready to get up, in front of a river city with two impressive bridges spanning the river.
In the corners recline two figures, the first on the left is a man holding what looks like a shield or large mirror which he points at with his other hand in which is possibly a sheaf of wheat? In the second opposite corner is a woman holding a small hand mirror as she looks over her shoulder at the men.

I'm not quite sure what to make of all this yet let's see what the LWB has to say...

Turns out the city is Florence and the river is the Anno. The bridges are the Ponte Vecchio and the Ponte Santa Maria Trinita.
His planetary attributes are Jupiter and Venus, so that must be Zeus (with a lightening bolt and not wheat in his hand) and Aphrodite it the corners.
His throne is "a high throne of Tuscan Romanesque architectonic elements based on the baptistry of San Giovanni, or Saint John."

The King Henry bit is stuck in my head, even after reading the meaning for this card. Not quite sure how it's going to relate to my day today. I might have to write something more tonight.

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

DV Angel Tarot: The Sun

Post by Serpentwand »

I felt something was missing in this card then realised it was the Sun itself which had been blotted out by an angel not belonging to the Tarot at all, superimposed on it, trampling on and attempting to conceal the wise serpent nourishing its children. Seeing past this angel reveals a beautiful picture of the Sun rising above an abandoned fortress, young trees growing from the tower, climbing plants beginning to cover the walls, butterflies circling sunflowers as the powers of Nature reclaim the area. This is why the Solar System fact cards are so good - nobody has tried to impose any religion on them.
"Happy outcome! Brilliant new ideas that lead to success. Have confidence in yourself!" indeed.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

DV Angel Tarot: Balance

Post by Serpentwand »

Today's card is actually a very recognisable version of Temperance - in which the angel actually belongs. The angel is standing with one foot on land, one in the water, pouring water between two goblets and surrounded by irises as one would expect. I don't want to rip the deck to pieces, it does look quite useful, quick and easy to read with attractive images that may hold further secrets - it just needs a bit of critical thinking in addition to an emotional response.

"The need for balance and moderation. Cooperation and compromise. Wait for perfect timing."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links