Sacred Days of Autumn Equinox

Forum rules
There are some decks that we all know and love. And then there are the lesser known treasures. Deck of the Week is a really fantastic way to explore decks that are loved but under-used. Here you can see what decks other people are using and how they apply the cards to everyday situations.
theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Re: Sacred Days of Autumn Equinox

Post by theFeeLion »

I'll have a look and see how I can adjust it to fit Spring [emoji4]
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
RavenOfSummer

Post by RavenOfSummer »

Hi everyone! So sorry, I meant to chime in on this thread sooner...did you all decide to do this as a group reading this year? Wonderful spread, Nemia! <3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

I was on vacation and didn't have Internet most of the time, so now I'll start this reading!

My deck: the Constellations Tarot, to honour the astronomical topic.

Sacred Days of Autumn Equnox

Day 1 18.9. Ludi magni games - Roman games in honour of the god Jupiter, celebrated with circus performances. This card reflects the spirit of celebration in your life, and how you can bring more joy and playfulness to yourself and others.

VI - Corona Borealis - divine union, harmony. This is the traditional Lovers card, with emphasis on the relationship. Where is joy in my life? In my marriage, my sacred union with my soulmate. We're about to be empty-nesters in two weeks, and this card tells me to enjoy the new chapter and focus on him and the fun we can have while our children grow up.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Day 2 19.9. Day of Our Lady of La Salette - an apparition of the Christian Mother of God/Holy Virgin. She brings message of hope to humanity. Where is your personal source of hope and spirituality?

X Draco - Luck and destiny. My personal hope and spirituality is indeed the eternal circle of life as symbolized by the stars. The Dragon's eye, Eltanin, looks at Vega, one of my favorite stars - and this constellations circles beautifully around the North Star. The repetitive changes of nature - the up and down of everything - I learn each day to accept them and integrate them into my life.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Day 3 20.9. Sedna, Inuit Goddess of the Sea - This card asks you to address your fears and shadows before the winter comes, like the Inuit did in their Sedna festival.

Columba - the Fool. My fears and shadows - I should address them with the help of Columba, the dove. With fresh eyes, the willingness to take a risk. I've been procrastinating with my shadow work and my family constellation work - and that's only tarot-related projects where I want to start dealing with my demons. This is a very encouraging card. It says just jump in. Just do it already. So true!

Day 4 21.9. Eleusinia - an ancient Greek holiday, commemorating Demeter and Persephone. She has to leave the world of of growth and abundance and descend to the realm of death. This card reflects grief, sadness and the traces of tears in your life. Acknowledge and honour them.

Cassiopeia - Judgement What a fitting card. Unbelievable how this card's theme answers the day's question. Look what the lwb says: A period of self-evaluation. Personal growth. Acceptance and taking responsibility for past actions and mistakes.

My mistakes and the grief and tears that followed from them are too personal to write down here, but the arrogant queen in the sky is a powerful symbol. My own carelessness, laziness and bad temper have alienated people, destroyed chances of success and made others and myself miserable. Today, I have to look at the whole picture, not only at the beautiful, successful and happy parts. The Fool told me yesterday to start my shadow work seriously, and Cassiopeia urges me to do so. Oh well, not an easy thing to do...

Day 5 22.9. Rosh HaShana - beginning of the Jewish New Year. It's a Jewish custom to send greetings and good wishes to people in your life. Use this day to focus on the people who are important to you, what you can do to strengthen your ties to them, and contact at least one person you have neglected lately.

Nine of Cups - Yes, today is Rosh ha Shana, and although we don't really celebrate it, we feel the holiday. Went to my mother in law yesterday with a round challah and had a nice, quiet evening, and now everybody around us is in a festive mood. After the difficult cards I had yesterday and the day before, it's nice to see a positive card. I'll follow my own advice and make some telephone calls today. I neglected many people over the last years; we were simply too busy and full of worries and I also became more active online and there are only so many hours to each day. Excuses! But the card reassures me that people will be kind. My dear mother in law was very kind yesterday although we have neglected her, too, lately.

It's the first minor card from the deck, and I can see the nice, clear glow of the cups, their flower-like arrangement and the waves in the earthly sphere and heavens, too. Very emotional, very kind, and the lwb calls it the wish-card. It gives me a nice warm feeling.

Day 6 23.9. Autumn Solstice - Libra - Mabon - the day of perfect equilibrium. A day for two cards. What is growing in your life, what is decreasing? This two-card reading reflects the balance of your energies and, if there is imbalance, what you need to address.

King of Swords and Hercules/Strength - Two energies in my life, growing and decreasing, but which is which? Really difficult to say with these two cards. Oh let's see. Let's just start with what I feel about each card.

I confess that I don't like the King of Swords much - too cold, too critical, too cerebral. But I admire him - he is objective, analytical, focused on his goal. I don't have these qualities and never had them, my heart has always come between me and my goals. There is very little of the King of Swords in me, and that has often been my problem.

Many important people in my life are Kings of Swords: my Gemini brother, my Aquarius step father - I wish I was more like them. So to be completely honest - it's not that I don't like the card. It simply reminds me of the qualities lacking in me, and looking back on my professional life, I never really "took off" like everybody expected because I didn't have that King of Swords ability to be assertive, to enter confrontations with self confidence and full quiver of cool arguments, to plan for the future and analyze situations without passion or bias.

Strength, on the other hand, is a card I like very much. This energy from the guts, gentle and powerful - oh, Lust from the Thoth is the card that brought me to tarot. Yes, this is a card that I not only like, I think I have some of its qualities. (I said so many negative things about myself freely, why is it so difficult to admit that I might have some good in me, too?) The energy of Strength comes from the guts and is controlled by the heart, not by cool ratio. Hercules is the traditional image of Strength, but in the tarot, we have the Christianized iconography of the maiden with the Lion. (I'll have to write something about the virtues! the cardinal and theological ones - but not here). Fortitude that meets the feared lion with gentleness and strength. Whether that Lion is within or without. Interestingly: Strength doesn't confront the lion, she meets him and subdues him, but she doesn't argue or fight with him.

Okay, now what does that mean? I have Strength in my life, but not enough King of Swords. I need both. So I have to think how I can start activate my cerebral side. No longer shy back from confrontation and argument. Assert myself. What I never knew to do. Can I do that?

Day 7 24.9. Brazil holiday of Maiso, mother goddess - what is the role of your mother in your life, how do you mother yourself/father yourself? Reflect on the maternal/paternal archetypes within yourself, and how you can make them work for you, not against you.

Ten of Swords, oh no, a card that forces me to look at the darker side of my memories of my parents. Like most people, I have a double memory. My relationship with my mother is right now better than it ever was, I have finally understood her and the clouds over our relationships that were there for some time have disappeared. I was lucky with my mother, really, and we're in good balance right now.

My memories of my father, that's a totally different pair of shoes, and 10/Swords doesn't even start expressing the pain. Since his death, I have made my peace with him. And I was lucky that life gave me a wonderful grandfather, a brilliant and loving stepfather, and a husband who has become a perfect father to our children. They all have filled the paternal archetype in my soul with warmth and light and love, something my own father could never do. I'm also blessed with two brothers and two sons.

If I look at the 10/Swords, I can only see them as reminder of times when I was quite desperate and felt alone and hurt - but that's definitely in the past, and unlucky circumstances made it harder than it should have been, this process of separation from my childhood. Today, I'm really at peace with the maternal and paternal energies in my life. I think I have done some good work in the last few years, also thanks to the tarot. The 10/Swords is also a card of change - like so many cards are - the last card of the suit - in the mutable sign - just moving on to the cusp of the next experience. And the card itself, if I didn't know its meaning, looks beautiful and magical. Like a curtain of light.

A look into the lwb. Yes, the traditional meaning - crisis, mental exhaustion, but also chance for healing. I'd say it's a look over my shoulder, into the past.

Day 8 25.9. Greek holiday Pyanopsia - Thanksgiving for the fruits of the sun. Wind white or purple wool around a laurel or olive branch, and hang or arrange fruit around it. These don't have to be actual fruit - you can write on a paper things that you are grateful for. What is the fruit of your past action, ripening now?

Six of Cups - I see in this card an answer to the reading of yesterday. Yesterday the spread asked for my relationship with my parents, and the echo was the bitterness of the 10 swords. Today, the spread asks for gratefulness, and I get the card of childhood memories and love of the 6 cups.

I realize now that my parents did try to strengthen my self confidence. They wanted me to develop my talents and live happily. Indeed I am very grateful for the many good things they did and especially their good intentions. I realize that today, when I see myself that my work as mother was not as perfect as I imagined it would be nearly 30 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child.

I can forgive myself and my parents, be grateful for the good memories and build on the efforts of the past. There are wonderful things in my life that were gifts, and other wonderful things that I have achieved. For both, I'm grateful.

This 12 day reading will soon be over and I'm sad. I will try to make such a reading at each of the four astronomical signposts of the year. It's like cleaning out a cupboard :-) and intensifies the work I do with my tarot calendar.

Day 9 26.9. Holiday of Neptune - This is a card about anger and anger management. Contemplate about how you deal with negative feelings. Is there a way to tranform negative energies into positive ones, making your anger pull your carriage and drive you on?

Page of Wands - well well, that's interesting. In this context, anger and anger management, the Page of Wands indicates a lack of maturity and a temper not always under control. And that's very true. I know I have the infamous imbalance of Taurus (and not only Taurus have it in my family) - I'm nice and gentle and the cow of heaven and swallow 1000 provocations without more than a patient moo - and at the 1001st tiny little thing I explode and turn into a sable tooth tiger.

At my advanced age, I should have taken control of my temper a long time ago, and indeed there has been some slight improvement lately. But this card tells me 1. to grow up at long last and 2. to hold no grudges. Because this is the positive thing you can say about the Page of Wands but not about me. When I'm angry, at others or at myself, it takes me some time to overcome it and become "good" again.

And the third aspect, looking at this basically harmless, happy youngster- I must stop punishing myself. My negative feelings rarely become a motor for change, they lead me to decisions that punish and damage myself.

So there are three things about my anger: it's unexpected and explosive, it lingers for too long, and it leads to self-destructive decisions. I'm fighting these problems for many years and will continue to do so.

An interesting card to appear here. I think I never had it in any reading, it looks new and fresh to me. And encouraging!

Day 10 27.9. Vendémiaire -month of the grape harvest in the French revolutionary calendar month. Raise your glass to your big and small achievements in the last year, either with wine or grape juice, and enjoy your success.

And it's Libra! I have little achievements to celebrate in the last year - at least in any measurable way. But I have reached inner clarity about a number of things, and I have indeed more harmony in my life than I had a year ago. I love that this card appears now - after this reading, it will have to return to my Libra tarot calendar! This is not only Libra time but also the birthday of a person very important to me. It also means that this reading is relevant to the time of the year, that I'm in tune.

All my success and achievement were on a personal, "invisible" level. And I'm happy with that. Let's see whether I'll hunt down a glass of wine in the course of the day :-)

Day 11 28.9. Maha Navami - a Hindu holiday celebrating goddess Durga's victory over a demon. Part of the celebrations is chanting. Reflect on a victory you want to win over the next three months, and devise a chant for it. Write it down where you can see it and envision the joy you will feel when you reach this goal.

Oh, the Sun. A victory I want to win over the next three months. Oh, I want to overcome a phase of professional stagnation. Have to find a new field to plough and leave the old field behind without regret. And I want to embrace empty-nestedness. Set my children free and enjoy my life with my husband. These are my two challenges that I'm chewing on for months. Happy new fields, happy empty nest... I'll write that down and pin it on my pinboard, let's see what happens... :-)

Day 12 29.9. Meditrinalia - an ancient Greek holiday honoring the goddess of healing. Think about your healing process and how you can continue it. Where do you draw strength from? How can you heal and nurture yourself in the future? Pamper yourself today and close these twelve days of introspection with healing thoughts.

Halley's Comet - the Hermit - that's interesting. My healing is where I rely on myself. And search for wisdom. Now look what the lwb says: the need for a mental retreat, introspection, solitude. Examine your life in order to understand its patterns and to bring about change.

So what did I do these twelve days? I examined my life, looked for patterns to bring about change. And what am I pushing away because I don't want to do it? My shadow work, yes.

Now I pulled a last card, the 14th card in this 12 day reading, to see the role of this reading and to round it off.

The Queen of Cups - again. I had her as observer and point of view card two days ago when I did my family reading. And the Hermit turned up a lot, too.

These are two cards which are very important right now. I enjoyed my month with the Hermit last month very much - and didn't learn everything he has to teach me yet. And the Queen of Cups is one of the two queens I feel close to - the other is her Pentacles colleague. But right now, it's time for the Queen of Cups.

I'm sorry we did this reading practically alone, FeeLion, 2dogs and me. I'll take a picture of the whole reading tomorrow; maybe I'll even manage to make a spread wheel like I did for Midsummer...

And I'll continue my tarot journey, hoping that in Yule, more people will read with me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

Oops, missed the start of this. I'll have to catch up later :icon_redface: .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

So did we all! It's okay, jump in whenever you have the time! ;-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK »

Me too. I'll try and catch up tonight!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

OK I'm using the paired Solar System and Elements decks again as I want to get better with them.

Day 1 18.9. Ludi magni games - Roman games in honour of the god Jupiter, celebrated with circus performances. This card reflects the spirit of celebration in your life, and how you can bring more joy and playfulness to yourself and others.

Bismuth / Iapetus. Bismuth forms large, beautiful, shiny rainbow coloured crystals. I very much enjoy the artistic creations of the Universe, the appreciation of which seems to be an important purpose of conscious existence. Iapetus is the most highly contrasted body in the whole Solar System, one side being ten times brighter than the other, and there is a key to understanding why this is. Understanding is also definitely important to me - but maybe it's also telling me to look at contrasts rather than just the attractive objects, see what makes them different?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

Day 2 19.9. Day of Our Lady of La Salette - an apparition of the Christian Mother of God/Holy Virgin. She brings message of hope to humanity. Where is your personal source of hope and spirituality?

Nickel / Eros. Hmmm, the image for Nickel looks rather like one of those electron microscope photos of an ovum. As for the asteroid Eros, well it may not have much to do with Our Lady of La Salette :icon_eek: .Possibly this is referring to my internal, instinctive or subconscious energy?

Image Image

These cards can be very odd at times - or is it the real world physical things they merely depict and describe?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

Day 3 20.9. Sedna, Inuit Goddess of the Sea - This card asks you to address your fears and shadows before the winter comes, like the Inuit did in their Sedna festival.

Saturn's Great White Spot / Chlorine. The Great White Spot is a periodic storm appearing about every 30 years or Saturnian year and is thought to be an immense upwelling of warm gas. The front of the card shows "the latest incarnation" so may be encouraging me in my thoughts about previous lives. The fact that Chlorine gas was used to kill soldiers in WW1 fits reasonably well in the general depressing theme :icon_e_sad: .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links