New to tarot and new to the forum

Moderator: Moonlight

Forum rules
Post here to introduce yourself to current members.
androdea

New to tarot and new to the forum

Post by androdea »

Hi! I'm androdea, I always believed that tarot cards could tell the truth, but only recently did I buy a deck and decide to try my hand at it.
I'm gradually getting the hang of the cards, and starting to be able to get a feel for what a spread is telling me without rushing to google.

I've mostly been reading for myself, but I really want to practice with other people. Hopefully I will find a charity to do some readings for.

Here's a question for you: do you think the cards have their own emotions?
I've been practicing a lot these few days, asking different questions, trying out different spreads. The worst thing is I don't know when to stop. I keep telling my deck, Okay, last question, I SWEAR. And it goes ok for a bit, but always ends on a bad note, and I feel like the cards got exhausted and fed up with me, giving me depressing answers and being overly dramatic.

I try to self-reflect, and I usually realize that it's me who is exhausted, and that I ended up asking a question I already have answers to, or that I already have an answer in mind, and am merely wishing the cards will confirm them. At the worse, I realize I'm asking it for sympathy, which is pretty silly, and they give me some very unsympathetic cards.

But still. Have you ever felt that your cards have their own feelings?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Re: New to tarot and new to the forum

Post by Nemia »

To be honest - no. I think we project our feelings on the cards. The wonderful thing about cards, especially tarot, is that they're so good for emotional projection. That's their power. Like some scientists have techniques to copy tiny traces of DNA until they have enough to read and analyze it? Tarot cards reflect back your feelings so you can read them and analyze them. But it's still, at least in my opinion, OUR feelings, questions, answers, situations.

I believe that the cards can tell you things you know, but you didn't know that you know. The answer is within you, you don't know how to reach it. Self exploration with the cards is wonderful, readings, meditations, affirmations , fun and games - cards are such a great tool for many things.

You notice when you overdo it - the cards don't make sense any more.

I find the most useful tool for learning the cards for their own sake (and not only to get answers right now) is journaling. It doesn't have to be elaborate. Take a quick picture and write some words next to it, that's often all it needs. Over time, you see patterns - which cards pop up when you're tired, nervous or full of energy. Then the cards get personal meanings for you, and that's when you can go without training wheels.

Have fun!!! I'm sure you will! There's so much to learn.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
zhadee

Post by zhadee »

ahoy androdea ?-)
Always be yerself, unless ye can be a pirate. Then always be a pirate.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Tigerangel71

Post by Tigerangel71 »

Hi and welcome Androdea

I tend to get my cards throw out the four and Swords and 10 of Swords when I'm over doing a reading or to emotionally attached to the situation as they will tend to reflect back to you your fears.

So when I repeatedly get those cards falling out when shuffling I know it's time to have a break from doing any personal readings until I can read with a more detached view of the situation I'm reading on, so decks don't really have their own feelings but you kinda imprint your feelings in a deck and different decks seem to relate different responses to your emotional state, that's the way I view it anyway.
"Can't Rain All The Time"

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
eeviee

Post by eeviee »

Welcome!

I believe that different decks/cards/artwork EVOKE different feelings for us. I'm not so sure that they have feelings of their own, seeing as they are just bits of cardstock. I also don't particularly buy into the whole WE PROJECT different feelings onto the cards, I feel as though the feelings are awoken inside of us as a response to the visual stimuli (perhaps they are the same thing, just a bit different way of expressing it).
--Eeviee
[The Empress & Queen of Wands]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
androdea

Post by androdea »

Hey guys! :D

Good to know that others don't think the cards have feelings, because I honestly get pretty spooked by the accuracy, or the same card continually showing up. :P

Asking the deck to show you a certain a card when you're overtired/too attached is a good idea! I'll try implementing that.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links