Tarot Spell Basics

Moderator: Barleywine

popgoth

Tarot Spell Basics

Post by popgoth » 30 Dec 2017, 19:27

A witch doesn’t need all the fancy ingredients required for a specific spell, we can make windows out of walls; we channel our own energy and the energy around us to manifest our wills! However, candles/wands/athames/etc… can help to increase focus, but let’s be real everything in this world has a price and listen we can’t always buy a candle because sometimes honestly we just want a new outfit. Tarot gives us full access to the same energy that magickal ingredients can offer, and it’s a lot more discreet than walking through a park to get to a natural space with an athame in your hands. A lot of people will tell you that the tarot are just cards, that they’re an extension of you but at the end of the day they’re just cards. A lot of other people will tell you that the tarot is alive; which is something Aleister Crowley popularized. I fall somewhere in between those two belief systems; I believe that yeah, the cards are an extension of you, but they’re also…I guess you’d say batteries. Inside each card is stored a thoughtform, energy that has been intentionally placed within each card and energy that has been consistently fed and grown through every single person who has used the tarot since their origination. Inside each card is stored a boundless amount of power that we can channel for spells—when needed—but remember, batteries can run out and need to be recharged.

So let’s get these basics out of the way first:

Need a representation of a wand, chalice, athame, or pentacle? Use the aces.

Need an idol to help with invokation/communing with higher beings? Each major is tied to its own set of dieties; the hanged man is odin, the high priestess/moon could be hecate, etc...it doesnt stop with dieties either; angels, demons, fae, etc...are all connected to the majors. Do some background on the being you want to work with and the card will become clear.

Curse breaking: The tower, the star, the high priestess, the magician, the hierophant

Balance: Justice, two of pentacles, two of swords

Success: The Chariot, ten of pentacles, King/Queen of pentacles/swords/wands, nine of cups, wheel of fortune, the world, six of wands, eight of wands, ace of pentacles/wands/swords/cups

Prosperity: Nine of pentacles, ten of cups, ace of cups, the world, six of pentacles

Protection: The emperor, the magician, the hierophant, judgement

Love: The lovers, the empress, the world, two of cups, all cup court cards especially the the king and queen, nine of cups

Creativity: two of wands, judgement, ace of wands/cups, the magician, the star

New Beginnings: The fool, ace of swords, six of swords

Transformation: The hanged man, the fool, the moon

(*note: These are just the cards i had written down in one of my grimoires so feel free to add more/feel out your own...I'll make a print out graphic eventually)

spell construction:

So since I spent many years as a chaote, the way i practice magick has changed dramatically. Everything I do is usually improvised/I just feel it out and ride the waves...so normally if I'm going to do some type of spell involving tarot I bring a deck in (I do recommend having a deck for spells, older decks you no longer use work well) and just get into the flow of things.

Anyways, magick is all just energy and intent, so say you want to do a prosperity spell: nine of pentacles is the financial windfall card, the world is powerful, and the ten of cups brings prosperity and abundance, cool so we have the cards we're going to use. We also know that green and earth are connected to prosperity magick, so we use a green/white candle, and the ace of pentacles to channel more earth energy.

Now that we have our foundation, all we need to do is work out the words of the spell and where we're directing that energy.

Now lets say you want to speak to your guides through your dreams: the high priestess is a phenomenal card to use in dreamwork.

So we need the high priestess, a blue candle or a purple candle (white substitutes all...but i normally use black for everything lol) and a lapis stone, and maybe lavender incense (or you can sprinkle lavender herbs on the candle. Investing in tealight candles and melting herbs into them works wonders.). Since it's dreamwork the majority of this will take place in your sleep, so all you need to do is place the card standing up on your nightstand and place the candle and incense in front of it. Light the candlle and the incense and focus on the high priestess. Visualize the energy in the card waking up and glowing, feel it pulsing from the card. Next, feel the energy from your solar plexus swirling and pulsing, now pull energy from the high priestess card into your solar plexus and and mixing with your own energy. Grab the lapis stone and pour that energy into it, and feel it glow and pulse with your power and the power of the high priestess. Now take the stone and hold it up to your third eye, visualize yourself speaking with your guides and send your intent into the stone, place it under your pillow and go to sleep.

Tarot magick is simply tapping into the energy stored within the cards and using it for your own benefit. Different decks can help you with different forms of magick, but i really reccomend one with a lot of color because color can really help you get to that right focus and evoke the right energy (which is one of the main reasons i made my deck!!!) I hope this helps!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

fractalgranny

Re: Tarot Spell Basics

Post by fractalgranny » 31 Dec 2017, 00:54

When I first started tarot seriously, I was also more involved than nowadays in magick. So one of the very first tarot books I bought was "Tarot Spells" by Janina Renee. I find spell "recipes" marginally useful (just as I don't put much stock in so-called "traditional" interpretations of tarot cards) but still, that book was useful for me for ideas.

When I do face to face readings, I often include spell-like approaches.

I think I would like some discussion/experimentation with tarot spells here. Thanks for starting it!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann » 05 Jan 2018, 22:36

I like the idea of reading about spell discussions. I really don't use spells or rituals longer than doing one thing and saying one line. I am too add and chaotic.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 15 Jan 2018, 06:20

I don't have it (yet), but this book touches on tarot rituals. I think it may be more kabbalistic than witchy, though.

Portable Magic: Tarot Is the Only Tool You Need by Donald Tyson

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 15 Jan 2018, 06:22

Deleted, duplicate post. I think this must happen because of lag at my end.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann » 15 Jan 2018, 21:48

you mean "at the internets end" windows has tried to slow down touch typist which I am. that is why there are always missing words and letters in alot of my posts. and now if the government (US) gets its way rich and high powered companies will have all the speed and leave the rest of us crawling thru the muck.

sorry. I have a blog for this type of posting.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Spells and Rituals”