Sallie Nichols' "Jung and Tarot" - to buy or not to buy?

But not politics

Moderator: Moonlight

Forum rules
Post here for your everyday chat and anything non esoteric, No politics or religion talk.
Nemia
Global Moderator

Sallie Nichols' "Jung and Tarot" - to buy or not to buy?

Post by Nemia »

I've wanted this book for ages, and now it's available as Kindle - I only read on my Kindle by now (which is a pity since my house is stuffed with nearly 4000 books!). I'd love to buy it but it's not cheap. I read the sample and it looks great.

But do I really need it? I have a huge tarot book collection. Is this just my completionism pushing me to buy one more ("I have to buy every tarot book on the planet to complete my collection")? I'm interested in Jung and his theories make sense to me (even where I see the stereotypes of his generation sticking out a bone or two).

What can you tell me about this book? Is it essential? Have Nichols' insights helped you on your tarot journey?

Can I live without this book? Please, de-enable me if possible :icon_redface:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Barleywine

Re: Sallie Nichols' "Jung and Tarot" - to buy or not to buy?

Post by Barleywine »

I've been holding off on it based on some of the luke-warm reviews I've read. It's supposedly long on psychology and short on tarot. There are other options; I think you already mentioned the first one somewhere.

Hmm. my links to Amazon didn't work. They are to the tarot and psychology books by Arthur Rosengarten and Robert Wang.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

I have both Rosengarten and Wang, also Gawain (didn't read it yet). Okay, I'll re-read Rosengarten, why didn't I think about that before? And lukewarm reviews are exactly what I need :icon_cool:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Michael Sternbach
Founder

Post by Michael Sternbach »

Jung and Tarot was one of my first Tarot books. I found the introduction and the chapters on The Fool and The Magician extremely well written and very inspiring. However, after that, the author seems to somewhat run out of breath, and the rest of the book didn't hold up to the high expectations instilled in the beginning.

It's nevertheless a good book though, overall. If this were an Amazon review, I would give it four out of five stars.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
tarotbear

Post by tarotbear »

I read this book years ago - found it boring. Everyone seems to think that Jung wrote volumes and volumes on 'Tarot and Archetypes' - he didn't! If you are an Amazon Prime member and can get it on Kindle for free - it's probably worth every penny. :icon_rolleyes: {That's sarcasm, BTW ...}
There are three ways of looking at things; theirs, yours, and my Tarot cards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
VegasGeorge

Post by VegasGeorge »

An excellent book for the serious reader. You will learn a whole lot more than just cards and spreads. Remember, the more background knowledge you have, the richer your experience with the cards will be. I will be re-reading this book very soon.
I am the greatest superhero of all time, the amazing Captain Underpants! :icon_eek:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Michael Sternbach
Founder

Post by Michael Sternbach »

VegasGeorge wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 21:48 An excellent book for the serious reader. You will learn a whole lot more than just cards and spreads. Remember, the more background knowledge you have, the richer your experience with the cards will be. I will be re-reading this book very soon.
Well, I would say, despite some weaknesses, this is definitely one of the more important books on Tarot. It should have a place in any thoroughgoing library on the topic.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links