Your Myers-Briggs type

But not politics

Moderator: Moonlight

Forum rules
Post here for your everyday chat and anything non esoteric, No politics or religion talk.
Nemia
Global Moderator

Your Myers-Briggs type

Post by Nemia »

Based on the teachings of C.G. Jung, the Myers-Briggs psychological types are a popular way of getting to know oneself (and others) a bit better. There are many questionnaires on the web where you can check your own type and read up on the explanations - it's better to do the questionnaire first and only then read what it all means, otherwise you might answer according to the type you wish you were ;-)

The things I like about this test: it's based on eight functions that are arranged on four scales, i.e., it does't only tell you whether you're Introvert or Extrovert but where you sit on the scale between total Extrovert and total Introvert. I'm for example an Introvert but quite close to the border into Extrovert country, i.e., I can mask my Introvert-ness and appear as Extrovert (which was easier when I was younger and is difficult now). So there's no black and white typecasting but if you do the test properly, you get a feeling for the specific type you are, and where you resemble others or not.

So we have Introvert vs Extrovert, Sensation vs iNtuition, Feeling vs Thinking, and Perceiving vs Judging. We all sit somewhere between these pairs of opposites. Our type is made up from the four letters of the functions that are strongest for us.

If you know your type already: what is it? I have the feeling that we'll have a high percentage of INFJs here, and that's what I am. Introvert, iNtuitive, Feeling, Judging. It's supposed to be a rare type but on every forum where the topic came up, it turned out most of the people around were INFJs :icon_e_biggrin: Not such a rare breed it seems!

Btw, if you're looking for the tarot angle: there have been different ways of connecting the 16 Myers-Briggs types to our darling court cards ;-) and it makes for interesting reading. Examples: Jennifer Soldner, 78 revelations, the old discussion on AT about the topic, the Alchemy School, based on Jana Riley.

I'm not so sure the 16 types and 16 court cards are a perfect fit but it's a challenge to think about both.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Re: Your Myers-Briggs type

Post by Charlie Brown »

INTJ
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

I think I posted this somewhere before, but here it is again:

I've known for years that I'm an INTJ type (although I didn't need the MBTI to tell me that); we had to do it for work one time quite a while ago. I ran the test again recently and nothing has changed.

Introvert(41%) iNtuitive(59%) Thinking(50%) Judging(41%)

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (41%)
You have distinct preference of Intuition over Sensing (59%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (50%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (41%)

http://www.humanmetrics.com/personality/intj

The linked description perfectly captures my blended analytical-intuitive approach to reading the cards. This also encouraged me to explore the "Big Five" set of personality factors, which is supposedly less skewed by the test creator's bias, and the HEXACO six-tiered personality model. The more generally accepted models (from the scientific standpoint of reliably repeatable research data) make a distinction between temperament, which seems to be incipient at birth, and personality, which is a product of socialization.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

Ha, thank you for the link, that's a test I didn't take before. And here we are:

INFJ
Introvert(56%) iNtuitive(59%) Feeling(56%) Judging(56%)
You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (56%)
You have distinct preference of Intuition over Sensing (59%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (56%)
You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (56%)

Always the same ;-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Your Myers-Briggs type

Post by theFeeLion »

I did a similar test to this on 16personalities.com they add a fifth trait which is explained here https://www.16personalities.com/articles/our-theory

This is what I got:
ENFP-T
Extraverted: 63%, Intuitive: 51%, Feeling: 70%, Prospecting: 63%, Turbulent: 54%.
Role: Diplomat
Strategy: Social Engagement
Here’s the explanation

They call this personality the Campaigner, with a brief description of “Enthusiastic, creative and sociable free spirits, who can always find a reason to smile.”

I might have to try that human metrics link at some point and see what that has to say...
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Wolfy James

Post by Wolfy James »

INTJ

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Grizabella

Post by Grizabella »

Mine is the same as Eleanor Roosevelt and Ghandi but for some reason I can't ever remember the letters that go with that one. At any rate, I know that's the idealist---I remember that, too. Probably that's why when I was young, people would always say things like: "Don't be such an idealist" or "you're too idealistic" and comments like that. I didn't know what it meant for a long time.

I didn't read the meanings before I took the test, but looking back on it, I think it would be a hard test to skew toward one or other of the types. At least for me. But I'm sure smarter people than I am could probably do it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Belinda2

Post by Belinda2 »

INFJINFJ
Introvert(3%) iNtuitive(22%) Feeling(44%) Judging(22%)
You have marginal or no preference of Introversion over Extraversion (3%)
You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (22%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (44%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown »

Grizabella wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 02:11 Mine is the same as Eleanor Roosevelt and Ghandi but for some reason I can't ever remember the letters that go with that one.
I'm sure you're telling the truth, but I love the idea of just making up random famous people and saying you're the same as them as some kind BS party chit-chat. The idea is making me chuckle. It could be even more funny if you mix and match totally different sorts of people. "Mine is the same as Russel Brand and Nicolae Ceaușescu but for some reason I can't remember the letters." :icon_lol:

I really am entertaining myself greatly.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Grizabella

Post by Grizabella »

I took that test about 20 years ago, around the same time I started with Tarot, and my memory doesn't work as well as it might if I weren't 72 years old and there wasn't so much water under the bridge for me in that time. The only reason I remember it being Eleanor Roosevelt and Ghandi is because I've always liked both of them from what I knew of them as I was in my teens and onward. Being a peacenik like Ghandi and just relating to things I knew about those two is why they stuck in my mind. Also, if I recall, there weren't any other names I recognized except those two.

How about Aliester Crowley and Mother Theresa as a pair? Looking skyward to profusely apologize to Mother Theresa, mind you. Although I think Mother Theresa would have loved Crowley just as much as she did all the people she served. I wonder how they're getting along there in the great beyond of the afterlife.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links