Favorite New Age shop closing

But not politics

Moderator: Moonlight

Forum rules
Post here for your everyday chat and anything non esoteric, No politics or religion talk.
Belinda2

Favorite New Age shop closing

Post by Belinda2 »

There is this shop right near my house which I was starting to love for the Community aspect . I started going to the drum circle which took place twice a month. And a few other classes, I were was starting to look forward to going there, I had found a place where there people like me and I was starting to be acepted as part of the group, I finally got a hug, I took an introductory to our class and astrology that I have been hoping will become a class where I could learn my birth chart, so things pretty well shock and a downer.
I even stayed up to 2 o'clock to do
a reading about it I feel like something died, that I might have to go through the stages of grief, but I'm sure that sounds silly . It was the one positive place I could go get out talk to people, who had similar interest to myself, getting me out of a Temporarily out of a bad situation at home. I feel like it was a promise that was on unkept.
One has to understand that she was paying rent on to two Spaces, and that have a store in the area where I live is costly. She has to do what she needs to do for herself. The shop had been there for years in which I know she had been doing the drum circle all during that time. So I hate to think how some of these people are feeling.
I am planning on emailing her an encouraging note, and finding out when she's at the shop, so I can see her and I am also thinking about giving her a gift of one of the card decks I own, maybe my astrology reading cards, since we almost had a class involving astrology but I also know that she knows something about it so they might be too elementary for her I will have to think about it.
Any experiences like mine, that you would like to share?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Re: Favorite New Age shop closing

Post by kyan »

oh, i’m sorry to hear your favorite store will be closing. sigh... that seems to be the way for so many businesses these days. in my town a favorite used bookstore closed. it was a place where one could go to find books, tchotchkes (it was also a collectible store with very eclectic items), and the owner would offer tea if you were inclined to stay a while. there were chairs near the register and we could hang out, often long after closing.

online businesses were to blame, he said, and i suppose rising rents too.

fortunately, there are two metaphysical stores here and a large new and used bookstore in a nearby town. unfortunately, the tarot selection at both metaphysical stores is limited (one owner says she doesn’t like tarot, favoring oracles instead...). they both have tons of crystals, tho!! the new/used bookstore has a extremely limited number of new age and spiritual selections... so, online we go. :icon_e_confused:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
tarotbear

Post by tarotbear »

Rents are usually the reason most stores close within 2 years. It costs a lot to start-up a business, build a shopper base, and make people aware you have a business to start with. Unfortunately, EVERY SINGLE Newage store I visit has the exact same displays of crystals and stones, and usually the same display of overpowering incense choices. Many have a line or two or three of designer jewelry that have nothing to do with the reason the store is for. One reason many of these stores fail is that they are trying to reach as large a client base as possible and carry so much variety of stuff in an effort to catch everyone's eye that they all start looking like an 'Occult Wal*Mart'. Trying to become a 'store with something for everyone' usually means they all carry the same merchandise ... which is too bad.

Really, though, I do feel sorry for you having made such a great connection to have the shop shutter it's doors. Perhaps they can offer wares as a mail-order shop?

Most newage stores make their money by offering classes in yoga, drumming, massage, Reiki, etc., making money from renting space and getting a cut of the renters. One shop in my area offers different kinds of yoga classes EVERY SINGLE DAY, even days the shop is not open for business. Having to sell 1,000 Tarot decks every month to pay their rent just doesn't work. :icon_e_geek:
There are three ways of looking at things; theirs, yours, and my Tarot cards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

I haven't been inside a really good New Age shop in decades. They've all been forced to become watered-down generalists in order to survive, and I don't see that situation improving. It's rare that I can find a deck or book around here unless I go to a large Barnes & Noble. The big stores can afford to carry a stock of marginal sellers.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Belinda2

Post by Belinda2 »

well she texted me back, and said that she was planing on continuing drum circle classes at her house. She also wants to set up trips to spiritual places we can go as a group. I think we will become friends eventually. she was in the shop packing stuff so I came by and bought a few decks and talked to her of course.it was pretty good.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Belinda2

Post by Belinda2 »

We just had our farewell drum circle at the store. It was good it was so important to me that I left work early and used some of my vacation time. I i'm taking in the class on astrology and how to do your birth chart ( this is tied to the shop, because she had an introduction to the class at the shop).
I hope she comes.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Trina

Post by Trina »

oh no - this is always very sad. But I like that you had a chance to say good bye!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Belinda2

Post by Belinda2 »

Trina wrote: 25 May 2018, 06:17 oh no - this is always very sad. But I like that you had a chance to say good bye!
Yes I think she knew that it was important to us.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

Some ten, fifteen years ago, there was an esoteric and tarot boom here in Israel, and tarot shops just appeared everywhere. They're all gone, only one survived and it has become a kitsch aquarium by now, full of little fairy statues and bottle openers and crystal statuettes and funky-smelling candles. The tarot corner which was once respectable has shrunk into a shelf out of view, and when I want to have a look at it, I have to climb a little ladder and the young girls working there look at me with a mixture of awe and pity. I didn't find anything remarkable there since 2002 or 2003. The tarot decks have been replaced by Hebrew self-help and oracle cards, none of them interesting to me. I still go there to remind the staff that there is such a thing as tarot-buying customers.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links