How Does YOUR Garden Grow? And, what's in it?

But not politics

Moderator: Moonlight

Forum rules
Post here for your everyday chat and anything non esoteric, No politics or religion talk.
Belinda2

Re: How Does YOUR Garden Grow? And, what's in it?

Post by Belinda2 »

I dont have garden but we do have oranges trees, Tangerine trees, and avocado trees.
I tried to plant lettuce, put the seeds in the a pot, it started coming up, which I got pretty excited about and than some bugs or something came along ate it all. So sad 😩
never tried it again but if I do I will need to put a net over it or something.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

avocados! so lucky, and tangerine? blessed!

probably rabbits. probably slugs. snails. anything. baby lettuce is like gourmet food for critters of all kinds, lol.

the trick is to grow a LOT. that way some lettuce will get spared. unless there's a herd of deer nearby. :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
celticnoodle

Post by celticnoodle »

Canid wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 21:53 CN, I did some yardwork today, shorts & flipflops yay! I cleaned up half of the yard’s dog poop (I avoided it all winter so there’s a LOT) & made a dent on the herb/flower bed preparation. I don’t make it pristine in the fall, to provide shelter & sustenance for wildlife in the winter. Birds love Lamb’s Quarters that have gone to seed, I relocated 4 coccoons (hoping they’re Emperor Moths). This after complete inactivity after my hospital stay...felt great!
haven't been in here in a long while. Oh, Canid! I am JEALOUS! I am getting so sick of this cold wet and dreary weather! Its been wreaking havoc on my bones and not much fun. But, reading your post gives me hope that soon I'll be out in the garden in my shorts and flipflops as well. (speaking of flipflops....I have a pair that is so comfy and must be at least 20yrs old! :icon_lol: ) Good for you!!!

On a good note though, our apple trees were FINALLY delivered! Yesterday, while I was at Tai chi practice. So, I missed the fun of doing the actual planting but our neighbor came over and helped the hubby do so. Now we'll just have to wait a few years and hope they will produce delicious apples for us and the neighbors! :icon_cool:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
celticnoodle

Post by celticnoodle »

Belinda2 wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 01:34 I dont have garden but we do have oranges trees, Tangerine trees, and avocado trees.
I tried to plant lettuce, put the seeds in the a pot, it started coming up, which I got pretty excited about and than some bugs or something came along ate it all. So sad 😩
never tried it again but if I do I will need to put a net over it or something.
Oh lucky you with orange and tangerine trees! Too cold here for them, sadly. :( If we also had avocado trees, I think our daughter would be moving her family in with us! :icon_lol: She could LIVE on avocados. loves them so much.

We've had the same issue with cilantro. every year we grow it and every year the rabbits get to it before we can. We don't plant it anymore. :icon_lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
celticnoodle

Post by celticnoodle »

kyan wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 01:45 avocados! so lucky, and tangerine? blessed!

probably rabbits. probably slugs. snails. anything. baby lettuce is like gourmet food for critters of all kinds, lol.

the trick is to grow a LOT. that way some lettuce will get spared. unless there's a herd of deer nearby. :D
yep! and you can also try to plant marigolds ALL around your crop too as most critters--bugs and 4 legged critters both--cannot stand their smell and so stay away. Also, go to your local barbershop and beauty parlor and ask for the hair clippings and spread it around your garden. Critters smell the hair and recognize it as humans and stay away. you have to be rather diligent though and continue to replace it often--but it is a help. This is our first year planting a garden here. I wonder how successful we will be here. time will tell!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

celtic noodle,

wow i never heard about the human hair trick for keeping pests at bay! fascinating! it makes sense tho. i know that you can buy cougar urine or something like that to keep raccons or other animals away. or is it the other way around? i hope it's synthesized. i can't see people following those poor animals around.

i have heard that when camping it's a BAD idea to pee around the perimeter of your campsite to let bears know that you're there. the park service recommends against it because it might attract bears and mountan lions. of course, if you leave food out, they're gonna come anyway. (i saw a mama bear and two cubs in the trinity forest recently... they were sooo cute.)

but i don't know what it does to rabbits and deer, but if hair trimmings lets them know that humans are around... :icon_rolleyes:

LOL about your daughter moving in... yes, avocados are definitely THE BOMB. :icon_lol: they're so expensive lately. btw, i heard that the drug cartels own most of the avocado farms in central america... more avocados and less cocaine, please!

oh, look what i found:

"Predator urine is one of the best ways to frighten away unwanted small animal pests including rabbits, deer, raccoons, skunks, possum, squirrels and chipmunks. The scent of an active predator in the area is a deterrent to most animals of prey. Coyote urine has long been used by gardeners, hunters and trappers alike."

there's a ton of information out there about using it for gardens!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links