Bookworm central

But not politics

Moderator: Moonlight

Forum rules
Post here for your everyday chat and anything non esoteric, No politics or religion talk.
theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Re: Bookworm central

Post by theFeeLion »

Wow Nemia, I am jealous! That's a lot of books :D I wish I could just stand there in front of them all and glory in their awesomeness :D
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

It's gone right down in the last few years but I used to read a great deal - when I was a child I read all the children's books in the village library so they gave me tickets for the adult section. There was a massive random selection in there - I enjoyed a lot of Sci Fi but also science, philosophy, history, psychology, eastern religions etc. and the odd occult book such as one by Israel Regardie had found its way there 8-) .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

I knew that were you have tarot-affine people, you'll find book worms.

FeeLion, I'm rather old and things just accumulated ;-)

That's one wall in the living room - there's another living room wall (smaller), and more books in the bedroom, study and corridor. It's too much since I feel many of those books won't be re-read since I have the Kindle. But I can't throw them away...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion »

*drool* I just showed that pic to my partner and told him I wanted a wall like that :D He said "I don't", he's not a reader at all.
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Cocobird55

Post by Cocobird55 »

Finished The Late Show by Michael Connelly last night. It features a new main character. I hope it turns into another series.

I mostly read mysteries. Some of my favorite writers are John Sandford, Sue Grafton, Harlan Coben, Peter Robinson. I also read a lot of books set in the UK. I love Barbara Pym and Nancy Mitford.
I am who I take the time to become.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Morning Dew

Post by Morning Dew »

Cocobird55 wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 23:53 Finished The Late Show by Michael Connelly last night. It features a new main character. I hope it turns into another series.
I take it that's his latest novel? I've read a fair amount of his books and quite enjoyed them.

Also a big fan of 'Bosch' on Amazon prime.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Cocobird55

Post by Cocobird55 »

Morning Dew wrote: 21 Jul 2017, 06:10
Cocobird55 wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 23:53 Finished The Late Show by Michael Connelly last night. It features a new main character. I hope it turns into another series.
I take it that's his latest novel? I've read a fair amount of his books and quite enjoyed them.

Also a big fan of 'Bosch' on Amazon prime.
It is his latest -- it's not a Bosch book. 'Bosch' on Amazon prime keeps getting better.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

I'm having loads of fun with E.M. Delafield's Provincial Lady series. I'm in love with British middle brow literature, and I'm embarrassed I didn't know this classic. Just wonderful to read. Very very funny - self deprecating wit. Nobody does wit better than the Brits ;-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Girl Archer

Post by Girl Archer »

theFeeLion wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 20:59 To all you bookworms out there...

What non tarot/oracle/lenormand books are you currently reading?
What's your favourite genre?
Do you use a book app? Or do you prefer holding that lovely papery goodness in you hands?

I go through phases when it comes to reading. I'll go for months without picking up a book and then, seemingly out of nowhere, I'll read book after book after book! Lol my partner isn't so happy when that happens because all I want to do then is read! Lol oops.

I love the tactile pleasure of having a paper fill glory in my hands. Plus I'm better able to go back to sections or fill it with bookmarks if I need to :D I must admit to largely using the kindle app lately though. I find its much easier to take a book wherever I go, and it has the added advantage of being able to look up a word I don't fully understand while I'm mid page.

I'm a fantasy girl through and through. Give me all those wonderful far off places where anything is possible any day! :D
Hi Fee!

I am presently reading John Green's books. I just finished The Fault in Our Stars, and then the movie. Both of which had me completely blown away. Then, I moved on to Paper Towns, and now I have An Abundance of Katherines pending. Then of course, I am reading a bit of 1984 and some Dostoevsky which depresses me, so every time I start... I read a couple pages and end up taking a break for days. I also want to start reading Lord of The Rings, and War and Peace. Chiefly these, in an otherwise extremely lengthy list of must - reads. I prefer real books to e-books, although the latter are cheaper, easier to heft around and the Kindle app offers a great deal of varied books, one isn't even aware of.

I like fantasy and adventure, I like it when things are happening at a fast pace be it in a novel, TV series or movie. I rather get bored when there is endless amount of detailing that goes into character descriptions, because that is perfectly good time wasted when the plot could have been driven forward, and the second thing being that I feel like my imagination is being directed in a particular direction. I like to be able to imagine my characters and their world, freely. Which is why I usually go to the books before I watch a movie or TV version of them. The only exception where the two perfectly line up, I think is Hercule Poirot as portrayed by David Suchet, most brilliantly and in a perfectly authentic fashion :green:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Cocobird55

Post by Cocobird55 »

I'm a Barbara Pym and Nancy Mitford fan.

I read mysteries most often. Just finished Peter Robinson's new one -- Sleeping in the Ground. Enjoyed it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links