Bookworm central

But not politics

Moderator: Moonlight

Forum rules
Post here for your everyday chat and anything non esoteric, No politics or religion talk.
Seldes Katne

Re: Bookworm central

Post by Seldes Katne »

I'm a youth services librarian, so I'm constantly reading, but the truth is that I went into this line of work because I couldn't afford to buy everything I wanted to read. :64(17):

So I pick up everything from children's picture books (we really do much of our best work for children, don't we?) to adult novels. I prefer science fiction and fantasy, but will also read the occasional mystery, spiritual non-fiction book, biography, etc. I love graphic novels (especially superheroes).

I read both print and e-book copies, depending on various factors. If I'm traveling, I'll load up my Nook and take that. If I find a book I just love, I will buy it in hardcopy. I will borrow library books in either format, depending on what's available.

Currently I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series (I'm thinking of doing a "Week at Hogwarts" next year over Spring Break for our local school students), but I'm also got Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi; A Study in Sable, by Mercedes Lackey; and If a Pirate I Must Be, by Richard Sanders waiting in the wings. In another week I'll be reading college textbooks, since I'm taking an online class this semester.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann »

I like useing college textbooks as light reading. its puts a lot of ppl off but oh well. love harry my daughter bought me the set of books and i got all the cds.

Would have loved to have read the next book/movie but i do not do movie or play screen scripts. At least actors get the left out parts filled in for them. When i read one. I usually fill it in wrong as opposed to the author so, ick.

Know Your Stuff -My Card Lists
Rooster Mama :had: here, my sidekick Yarr :yarr: his spirit guide :trans16: and me wee beastie :beasty: Familier!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

Thank you for the Barbara Pym tip, right up my alley and I will search Amazon for her books! :-))))

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK »

Nemia wrote:Thank you for the Barbara Pym tip, right up my alley and I will search Amazon for her books! :-))))
I can highly recommend Excellent Women, Jane and Prudence, and A Glass of Blessings. :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann »

Right now I am reading two books on my tablet to learn the basics of the code PHP. So i can try and add a couple things we need behind the scenes but no one is working on over at the phpbb51site. bummer. i really don't want to learn more codeing.

prefer books way over tablets. i only got these on the tablet cuz i couldn't afford to buy the books.

Know Your Stuff -My Card Lists
Rooster Mama :had: here, my sidekick Yarr :yarr: his spirit guide :trans16: and me wee beastie :beasty: Familier!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Ace

Post by Ace »

I have discovered that Marcia Muller wrote another 5 Sharon McCone books since I last read her! I have to catch up!
Education is EVERYTHING!

www.bgmeyer.com/blog.html

Reading Tarot cards: the most fun you can have and keep your clothes on!

Do away with your
Throat and lips,
And let me hear
What you can say.
--Shih-tou (700-790)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Wolfy James

Post by Wolfy James »

I love reading. I started to read at age 4 so at 7-8 I was reading teenage books and in my teen adult books. I'd borrow 6 books every day at the local library (6 was the max) and I'd read them and be back there the next day, except on sundays because it was closed and I was miserable. Then I ran out of contents and went to other public libraries. It's only in my last year of high school, in a course to prepare for academic studies (college and university), that I found out I was doing "speed reading" and the teacher said it was a good technique to learn.

In my case though, using "speed reading" was the worse thing I could do, since I went to college to study literature aka french literature (in my mother language which is French). I'm not capable of speed reading anymore and I don't regret it. I have numerous bookshelves in my living room, in my bedroom (my pagan books), and another bookshelf for my mangas. Yes, now I have a thing for mangas that I read and collect. Since my space is limited I have given numerous novels and other books to friends and Freecycle. All the Tintin comics were given to Freecycle, and a mother and her son came for them, and it was nice to see the child eyes brighten up and excited when he saw them, it made me happy the Tintin comics found a good home. Numerous of my novels I have now are in digital format and I've kept them if the edition was pretty, and I plan to keep fiction books in digital format. I prefer as well to keep the other books as real books to hold. I bought a Kobo Glo a few years ago and I keep my digital novels there, sometimes I read them on my computer too. I have books on French Literature, French poets, history (Celts and Ancient Egypts mostly), astrology, philosophy, pretty edition novels, health books, cross stitch books, craft books, gardening books, Quebec pretty places, Quebec architectures, traveling books, books on learning German, dictionaries, books on cats, mythology books (celts and Ancient Egypt mostly), fairy tales, books on the supernatural and supernatural creatures (vampires books, dragon books, etc.) pagan books. I plan to replace my mangas bookshelf with a much bigger one, because right it's more than full, with a media bookshelf (DVDs, CDS) since mangas and DVDs are about the same height and size. I plan to replace the bookshelf in my bedroom, the one where I keep my pagan books, with a bigger one since that one too is full.

I've been reading a light novel, I saw the anime the light novels are based on, I've been wanting to know more details and what happens after the anime ended, it's called Strike the Blood and the protagonist is a vampire and the world has all sort of supernatural creatures including witches. It's the first volume so it's more introducing the setting. I have other light novels as well, because I want to know more about the settings and characters, but mostly want to know what happened after the animes ended.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

CharlotteKAT wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 11:45
Nemia wrote:Thank you for the Barbara Pym tip, right up my alley and I will search Amazon for her books! :-))))
I can highly recommend Excellent Women, Jane and Prudence, and A Glass of Blessings. :)
I've read all her books by now! I'm a commuter (c. three hours per day), and I do all my reading on the bus or train. I LOVED her books and found them melancholic and full of humour. Totally fell in love with her and will follow up also on your other tips! I can't understand how I didn't notice her before! I'm such an Anglophile and have always been (my mother is an English teacher and I grew up surrounded by English books and art).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK »

Nemia wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 17:53
CharlotteKAT wrote: 20 Aug 2017, 11:45
I've read all her books by now! I'm a commuter (c. three hours per day), and I do all my reading on the bus or train. I LOVED her books and found them melancholic and full of humour. Totally fell in love with her and will follow up also on your other tips! I can't understand how I didn't notice her before! I'm such an Anglophile and have always been (my mother is an English teacher and I grew up surrounded by English books and art).
I'm so glad you enjoyed them. You would love Elizabeth Taylor I think! 'Mrs Palfry At The Claremont' is a classic. So underrated.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/books ... st-english

ETA: Barbara and Elizabeth were contemporaries and friends and corresponded by letter for some years. Seventeen of Elizabeth's letters to Barbara between 1951 and 1968 survived and are housed in the Bodleian library at Oxford. They clearly had a shared humour :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

Oh yes, she's on my list already :-) I know Muriel Spark and Elizabeth von Arnim and many other British writers, male and female, and Barbara Pym is a wonderful discovery. Thank you! While I sit in overcrowded, hot buses on my way to work or back, I read... and all of a sudden I watch a young curate drinking tea with some kind spinsters... and the world disappears around me.

I love the open endings. Sometimes you hear other people in a different novel talk about the protagonist of an earlier novel, and then you understand X married or Y didn't.... Pym never focuses on the typical climaxes, and if there's a proposal or discovery of betrayal or death, she never milks them for their dramatic value. She's the queen of the understated, anti-climactic scene. "It was not so bad after all" ... very special tone and atmosphere.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links