HEY LEAVE A POST

But not politics

Moderator: Moonlight

Forum rules
Post here for your everyday chat and anything non esoteric, No politics or religion talk.
Jo Ann
Founder

HEY LEAVE A POST

Post by Jo Ann »

LEAVE A POST YINZ GUYS. WILL BE PUTTING UP MORE FAVORITE FORUMS

Know Your Stuff -My Card Lists
Rooster Mama :had: here, my sidekick Yarr :yarr: his spirit guide :trans16: and me wee beastie :beasty: Familier!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
eeviee

Re: HEY LEAVE A POST

Post by eeviee »

Could you define "yinz"? I'm not familiar with that term...
--Eeviee
[The Empress & Queen of Wands]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yinz - well I've learnt something here already :lol: .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
eeviee

Post by eeviee »

2dogs wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 08:36 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yinz - well I've learnt something here already :lol: .
Ah, yes. Very nice. I'm very familiar with the phrase "yous ones".
--Eeviee
[The Empress & Queen of Wands]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
magpie9

Post by magpie9 »

I think I'll stick to y'all. Yinz just doesn't feel natural ... :? but it's nice to learn a new regionalism.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion »

Ooo exciting I wonder what's next?
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Mindful Tarot

Post by Mindful Tarot »

0fool wrote:LEAVE A POST YINZ GUYS. WILL BE PUTTING UP MORE FAVORITE FORUMS
Hey are you from Picksburgh?? The yinz gives it away! [emoji173]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann »

Yep! the proud home of the Pittsburgh Penguins and the River Dogs!!! All we need now is a roller derby team!!!! Go Girls!!! :trans16:

Rooster Mama :had: here, my sidekick Yarr :yarr: his spirit guide :trans16: and me wee beastie :beasty: Familier!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann »

eeviee wrote: 06 Jul 2017, 11:27 Could you define "yinz"? I'm not familiar with that term...
Well Piisburgh was the melting pot of the country way back when and most of the workers where Scotts, Irish, ScottsIrish (northern Ireland), and blacks mainly from the south. Well Scottish english had the most influence, so we have language that we make into our own. Yinz was Yunz,Youins and evently Yinz. We say pop, gum bands, red up and not so much but, "I be going now." I still use "I be" but not so much anymore. You mainly heard around Pittsburgh city cuz of all the mills that where.

The reason why it actually turned to yinz was do to an early morning rock show on radio. Scott Paulson and Jimmy Krenz where the ones to make the dialect become more color with a wee bit of heaviness added to the accents. We also used words like nebby which meant nosey. but a later morning disc jockey after scott left kept using it the wrong way. the line is "Don't get nebby with me" which makes no sense at all. so he must be using it as don 't get smart with me.

I love how language evolves.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links