Confessions of a Deck Collector

But not politics

Moderator: Moonlight

Forum rules
Post here for your everyday chat and anything non esoteric, No politics or religion talk.
CharlotteK

Confessions of a Deck Collector

Post by CharlotteK »

Mr KAT came into the bedroom when I had one of my huge underbed storage boxes out to sort out what decks I'm taking on holiday. He stared at the box, his eyes went wide and he just said "oh my god, how many packs do you actually have?". I pushed the lid on quickly and slid it back under the bed. "A lot" I said... "but it's my hobby, I collect!". He looked at me, jaw pretty much on his chest and said "no seriously, come on, how many?". I contemplated telling him for a split second but my mouth couldn't form the words "over a hundred". So I just said "I don't remember, I've lost count". I didn't tell him that what he saw was only half. If he wants to look, he can, it's not a secret, but I hope he doesn't!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Re: Confessions of a Deck Collector

Post by Serpentwand »

LOL this size of collection could be embarrasing but that's because you still have plenty to show for your outlay. In most hobbies the money disappears without a trace, such as on the £1000 a year Premier League season ticket.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK »

Exactly! And in the collection are limited edition and OOP decks that could be sold to get some of that outlay back!

£1000 to go and watch football for a year? Crikey. Now that is a waste!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
DDwarks
Global Moderator

Post by DDwarks »

I'm lucky in way.
Mr DDwarks is Ex Mr DDwarks so I don't have to hide anything. Him and I are good friends now so I can talk about different decks I want to find and being a collector himself, he gets it.
He collects model aeroplanes .
I do however lie about how much some of them have cost me because for 1, I'm slightly embarrassed and 2 should I go over the top with my spending, I can go to him and claim poverty :beasty:
It only happened the once!
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

Tarot decks aren't so easy to hide. My CD collection on the middle shelf of the bookcase looks quite moderate but these are just the ones with special packaging - by throwing out the standard plastic cases I got another 480 in those black CD bags and photo albums in the bottom right corner :32(35): .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
LittleNell

Post by LittleNell »

2dogs wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 09:04 Tarot decks aren't so easy to hide. My CD collection on the middle shelf of the bookcase looks quite moderate but these are just the ones with special packaging - by throwing out the standard plastic cases I got another 480 in those black CD bags and photo albums in the bottom right corner :32(35): .
Haha I do this with my decks. I have my 'display shelf' of about 30 decks, the rest are are hidden in plain sight among books on thd bookcase in my bedroom.
Luckily I live, for the most part, on my own, yet always seem to have company when the postman delivers another deck. So I think I've been busted. :32(25):

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
DDwarks
Global Moderator

Post by DDwarks »

I've been pondering about my deck collection those last few days.
I have favourite decks and decks I have "just because".
I don't read with them and to be perfectly honest I can't see myself ever reading with them either. Shockingly those decks account for 90% of my collection.
They're all boxed away and out of sight so I don't even get to enjoy them.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK »

Me too DDwarks - but I remember Le Fanu saying don't get rid, you might enjoy them down the line (but in a more intelligent way obvs). I'm reluctant to destash en masse. I wonder if I will regret it in future. I certainly did with my overly keen book purge.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
JankaV

Post by JankaV »

CharlotteKAT wrote: 10 Aug 2017, 14:55 Me too DDwarks - but I remember Le Fanu saying don't get rid, you might enjoy them down the line (but in a more intelligent way obvs). I'm reluctant to destash en masse. I wonder if I will regret it in future. I certainly did with my overly keen book purge.

Sorry to jump in, but is Le Fanu around? I remember that name! I got really excited bc I have the WORST memory but that one rang a bell :)

Also, I have prob more than 20 decks and I only use 3 or 4 and not often enough. I am moving so I may need to sell some. It's hard to decide if I hang on to them and maybe they are worth more later...or sell them and have space and a little cash. Ooof.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
HeKatesXing

Post by HeKatesXing »

I love hearing about everyone's collections.....

mmmm
well where do I start... I have collected alot of decks over the years, but my excuse was I had a wellness centre at the time and needed them for work......

Luckily being on my own no one to make excuses to but myself ...

Eventually scanned and added to my email software, most of my decks are in storage at the moment.... but still have over 140 + decks...
Am I collector.. mmm I can't help myself.. I think that is why I have created my own.... My collection grows ....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links