Sacred Days of Yule 2017 - beginning on Dec 20

Forum rules
There are some decks that we all know and love. And then there are the lesser known treasures. Deck of the Week is a really fantastic way to explore decks that are loved but under-used. Here you can see what decks other people are using and how they apply the cards to everyday situations.
Nemia
Global Moderator

Sacred Days of Yule 2017 - beginning on Dec 20

Post by Nemia »

In this forum, we celebrate the solstices and equinoxes with special group readings, inspired by June Kaminski's original Sacred Days of Yule spread (used beautifully on AT), Raven of Summer's Summer Solstice Spread and my own Autumn Equinox Spread, all found in this thread. I hope we'll also build a spring equinox spread. I use the world spring and autumn here in a way that makes sense for the Northern Hemisphere - we haven't yet found the best formula to make them fit the Southern Hemisphere seasons but hopefully will do so over time.

It's definitely possible to do the reading in chunks - every two, three, four or six days. The wonderful thing about the number 12 is the way it can be divided into symmetrical parts. And if you want to go asymmetrical - why not?

The original instructions advocate a card per day at the same day - a print-out wheel that you will with your cards - a highly structured activity. I say: if that sounds good, do it. If not, do it your way.

Fly Lady says, "homework done imperfectly still blesses your family", and I say, "tarot work that disregards the rules is still powerful and good for you" ;-) So feel free to adapt this spread totally to your time needs. This is supposed to be fun, not a dreaded duty :-)

Choosing a deck for these spreads is important and interesting. Some decks have a strong seasonal feeling, others are universal. Pick the deck that is most meaningful to you for this season, the re-birth of the Sun, of Light, from the darkness.

The easiest way to do this is by copying the spread into a post and filling it in over time. Then you have the finished spread at the end of the 12 days, and that's imo better for your own later reference than spreading the spread ;-) over several posts. It does make dialogue difficult - so if you prefer to write a new post whenever you draw a new card, go ahead and do it. Personally, I prefer to have it all in ONE post.

Here are the spread positions:

1. Mother Night of Dreams: - Dec 20th This card reminds us to look for a particular message in our dreams tonight. The ancients believed that our dreams on this night foretold some of the important events in the coming year.

2. Yule - Winter Solstice: - Dec 21st This card shows us how best to connect to the Light within and without - it symbolizes the Birth of the Sun.

3. The Time of Beth: - Dec 22nd This card points to the inner blocks and resistance that is holding us back from following our dreams.

4. Hopi Time of Renewal Dec 23rd This card indicates the best way for us to seek purification and renewal, and to build tolerance for others.

5. Feast of Mothers, Christmas Eve: - Dec 24th This card shows how we can connect with the spirits of our ancestors for communion and to ask for wisdom and guidance. It is also a time for Christians to reflect on the birth of Christ.

6. Festival of Life, Christmas: - Dec 25th This card shows us how to connect directly with Spirit.

7. Yuletide, Kwanzaa: - Dec 26th This card shows us how to express nurturance, to attend to our families and to express the protective energy within us towards others.

8. Birth of Freyja: - Dec 27th This card points to issues of love, luck, artistic and creative expression and female wisdom.

9. Feast of Alcyone: - Dec 28th This card gives us a personal inner message - one that speaks directly to our heart and spirit.

10. Day of Nymphs - Dec 29th This card encourages us to connect to our playful side, our inner child and how best to cultivate this aspect of ourselves.

11. Day of Rest: - Dec 30th This card shows us how to walk our path in a relaxed and confident way....with the ability to deal with stressful situations in a philosophical, detached way.

12. New Year's Eve, Hogmanay - Dec 31st This card shows us how to release the old and let in the new. This relates to both our external lives and our inner being.

Participants:
Nemia - Pagan Cats Tarot
Ylva Jackdaw - Greenwood Tarot
Zhadee
2dogs - Quantum Tarot, Solar System and Elements cards
Seldes Katne - Steampunk Tarot, Barbara Moore
CharlotteK - Tyldwick Tarot
theFeeLion - Shadowscapes Tarot
Charlie Brown - vintage RWS and vintage 1JJ Swiss

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
YlvaJackdaw

Re: Sacred Days of Yule 2017 - beginning on Dec 20

Post by YlvaJackdaw »

I used to do this spread back on AT, and loved it.

I'd like to participate this year, please. I'll use either my Greenwood or Wanderer's Tarot. I'll sit with them both before I make my decision.

Looking forward to learning more about the forum, and its members, through this thread :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

Welcome, dear Ylva! I love these readings! Ooh, you have a Greenwood?! That's wonderful.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
zhadee

Post by zhadee »

Yay Nemia! Thank you for hosting this spread! ♥ I will use a TdM

1. Mother Night of Dreams: - Dec 20th This card reminds us to look for a particular message in our dreams tonight. The ancients believed that our dreams on this night foretold some of the important events in the coming year.

2. Yule - Winter Solstice: - Dec 21st This card shows us how best to connect to the Light within and without - it symbolizes the Birth of the Sun.

3. The Time of Beth: - Dec 22nd This card points to the inner blocks and resistance that is holding us back from following our dreams.

4. Hopi Time of Renewal Dec 23rd This card indicates the best way for us to seek purification and renewal, and to build tolerance for others.

5. Feast of Mothers, Christmas Eve: - Dec 24th This card shows how we can connect with the spirits of our ancestors for communion and to ask for wisdom and guidance. It is also a time for Christians to reflect on the birth of Christ.

6. Festival of Life, Christmas: - Dec 25th This card shows us how to connect directly with Spirit.

7. Yuletide, Kwanzaa: - Dec 26th This card shows us how to express nurturance, to attend to our families and to express the protective energy within us towards others.

8. Birth of Freyja: - Dec 27th This card points to issues of love, luck, artistic and creative expression and female wisdom.

9. Feast of Alcyone: - Dec 28th This card gives us a personal inner message - one that speaks directly to our heart and spirit.

10. Day of Nymphs - Dec 29th This card encourages us to connect to our playful side, our inner child and how best to cultivate this aspect of ourselves.

11. Day of Rest: - Dec 30th This card shows us how to walk our path in a relaxed and confident way....with the ability to deal with stressful situations in a philosophical, detached way.

12. New Year's Eve, Hogmanay - Dec 31st This card shows us how to release the old and let in the new. This relates to both our external lives and our inner being.
Always be yerself, unless ye can be a pirate. Then always be a pirate.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

Don't forget, if you want to participate, now is the time to start planning it! Which deck and which format: daily draws, every two days, or any other rhythm that you like.

I just received the Ghosts and Spirits Tarot in the mail and have the feeling that it would be even better than Anna K. for this reading. I could take the Anna K. for the spring equinox... I didn't decide yet. I'll probably use a pendulum to decide!

Update: I decided to use Pagan Cats. The mini size ( for Summer Solstice, I used my mini Harmonious and it was GREAT), and something in the atmosphere. It just jumped into my hands!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Seldes Katne

Post by Seldes Katne »

I'm going to give this a try. I got partway through the Autumn one and got sidetracked, but this one might be easier -- less happening once Christmas is over.

I'll have to poll my decks and see which one seems most appropriate for the time of year.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK »

I've narrowed it down to Tarot of Dreams, Wild Unknown or Tyldwick. The latter would really stretch my intuition as there are no people or animals and no LWB. I might be too chicken for that challenge.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
YlvaJackdaw

Post by YlvaJackdaw »

Oh, I love both The Wild Unknown and the Tyldwick....I hadn't even thought of using either of them and they'd both be fantastic.

I think I will use my Greenwood, though. It seems the most appropriate for this particular spread and the time of year :)

The Moon
What an auspicious card to begin - what an auspicious card in this position! In the Greenwood Tarot, this card is literally the card of midwinter.

The important events in the coming year won't be external. The important events will be those that happen within me: things I've kept hidden or buried over the previous years will now rise to the surface, and my challenge in the coming year will be what I do with them. They've been hidden or buried for a reason, right?

Right. And seen for the first time in the moonlight, they will be terrible and strange. Distorted. That's the thing about the moon. Its so very beautiful, and its light is so very evocative, that under its gaze we fall easily into the mists of illusion. At first it'll look like my worst fears are coming to light - because moonlight always reveals the shadow side in the first instance - but if I breathe with it, take my time with it, I'll understand that all I'm really seeing is an opportunity for deep change.

So tonight I look to my dreams to see what it is that I've been keeping hidden that is now ready to emerge. It'll give me a chance to prepare...

7 of Cups - Mourning
Mourn what has gone, and let go of what can never be, in order to make peace with the past.

Two cards in, and there's a theme developing. There's stuff holding me back, holding me down, some of which might be still be pushed away from my daily consciousness. In order to release myself, I need to confront the emotions they'll bring alongside, no matter how painful that might be, if I'm to be able to face the future.

This 7 of Cups feels like darkness - its sits with Samhain in the wheel of the year - in a position that's about light. But the whole point of Yule is to remind us of the interconnectedness of light and dark, isn't it? Yule is light-in-darkness, and we need the one to recognise the other. If I want to connect with light, I need to acknowledge and honour my darkness...and then let go of the reasons for it.

I have a copy of 'Tarot Shadow Work', which I've never fully worked through, but I wonder if it would help me with the recommendations of the first two cards of this reading.

8 of Cups - rebirth
While I was shuffling, I wondered if this card could speak to me about how to move beyond the blocks. I feel like I know where my resistance lies - fear of change, dislike of discomfort, lack of confidence, fear, fear - and I can whip up a story about where all that fear came from in a heartbeat. I know I've thought myself into a rut, but how do I get out of it? How do I move on?

When I think about making changes to get the life I want, this card is probably an accurate reflection of my mental processes: I splash about amongst multiple choices and feel entirely overwhelmed. I also focus on hitting a reset button, throwing the baby out with the bathwater so that I can start anew; make myself into a tabula rasa so I can rewrite myself in a new and improved way. I expend too much energy trying to do the impossible.

Therefore, it's best to make simple and small daily changes. Give it time, and those small daily changes will add up. If I choose to do this, and choose to stick to it, I may find myself saying and doing and being something quite different this time next year. I'll be surprised to see how far I've come.

Five of Stones - Endurance
I've been thinking about this card since I drew it. I actually think it's an invitation to downsize. Stop accumulating, stop being so worried about my finances, my home. It's not about taking a vow of poverty or anything like that; rather, identify what I really need, then be clear about what brings me pleasure. I've got a pile of stuff in my flat that I never look at: books I never read, CDs I never listen to, DVDs I never watch. Clothes I never wear.

Be mindful about my spending. Get rid of what I don't need. I'll be happier, simply because the more you own, the more you focus on losing it.

I also think the image is telling me to keep away from conflict and drama. Draw boundaries so that I don't get drawn into unhealthy group dynamics. Sit it all out.

The World Tree
(The Universe in other decks)
I love this card. Simply love the image. And I don't feel like this position needs deep analysis: if I want to connect with the spirits of my ancestors, then I simply need to meditate with this image, honestly.

With this card, though, my ancestors feel bigger than my hereditary line. I feel this card is telling me it would be more useful for me to focus on the universal rather than the individual; certainly it's more practical in my case. The World Tree reminds me that we are all One, and that different traditions are simply different branches of the same tree. It's both grounding and revealing.

7 of Stones - Healing
Just yesterday I tried some visualisation for the first time in ages. I used to do regularly, but at some point I just stopped doing any kind of spiritual practice.

This card is telling me that I need to integrate some kind of concrete practice into my routine, where I actively seek out direct connection with Spirit. Doing so will help me 'heal' the areas in my life that feel lacking.

Seems straightforward. It isn't: which spiritual path should I follow? I've taken a fair few, in my time, and haven't felt fully at home in any of them. Perhaps that can be one of the strands I follow this coming year.

King of Cups
It's good to see a Cups card in this position! All the courts in the Greenwood are animals: the King of Cups is a reindeer.

The King of Cups is always controlled, somebody who has learned to keep their emotions in check. He feels, and deeply, but it's kept deep within the surface. That resonates with me.

So I read this is advising me to let those feelings out and let other people in. Stop being so buttoned up; intimacy (which is how I'm reading this card) can only happen when I let it.

Ace of Arrows - 'Breath of Life'
I definitely need some rejuvenation! Just yesterday I finished the zero draft of a story and it was a real struggle. I started it in September, got to the midway point in October and realised I'd been writing in the wrong voice. Started over as part of NaNoWriMo and got my 50,000 words done, then have really struggled these past few weeks to keep going. Stephen King says that it should only take six weeks to write a draft, and he's right.

My mind is emptied. If it was made of tissues, it would be ripped and torn, nothing more than little fragments floating around in the dead air. Useless.

I'm starting a MA in Creative Writing in January. The first semester - and the next few months - will be a time of reading stories and thinking about stories....but not writing stories. And that's what I need. Time for my mind to recover and renew so that I take my idea and run with it when I'm ready.

Queen of Cups - Heron
My strengths are my weaknesses. I can be calm, and quiet; I can be creative and thoughtful; I am reflective and can be wise. I like solitude and silence. And when I'm not mindful, these strengths become passivity, laziness and a propensity to daydream.

I don't need to change anything about myself: I need to recognise my strengths and embrace them. There's great potential in them. I should also recognise how I allow them to become weaknesses, and check myself when I see it happening so that the potential can be realised.

9 of Stones - Tradition
It's okay to make wishes. It's okay to look up at the night sky and make a wish on a star, or blow a dandelion puff out onto the wind to send out the seeds of your hopes and dreams. I've stopped having dreams, or goals, or things I want to accomplish. I'm resigned when I think of the future - I can change that.

At the same time, it's okay to enjoy what I have. Spend time counting my blessings, focusing on gratitude for what I have. Lose the mindset where I still feel like I don't have enough of anything - that hasn't been true for a few years now. But I also read this as reminding me to get out into nature. I live in the middle of the city and I'm currently craving greenery. Proper woodlands, where I can get a bit lost and be entirely alone. It's okay to want that, too, and indulge in a little bit. Taking proper stock of the present and indulging in it a little bit will help me with my self-talk about the future.

3 of Arrows - Jealousy
'Sometimes we get so used to functioning within grief that after it's abated we still wander around broken. If we walk around with our head down for too long, though, we'll start tripping over things and missing all of the beauty around us.' Melissa Cynova, Kitchen Table Tarot

Stop comparing myself to other people.

Stop comparing myself to an ideal. If the ideal were supposed to exist, it would exist. In other words, stop disparaging and belittling my reality. I belittle myself every time I do that.

King of Stones - Horse
Keep your feet on the ground but your head in the stars :icon_lol: I took this from Chesca Potter's guidebook to the cards, and I like it a lot... I believe I now have a motto to guide me in 2018.

Be steady. Be persistent. Keep my feet on the ground - no more swerving to follow my flights of fancy. Keep my eye on the ultimate destination and make a steady and sustained effort to there. There's nothing glamorous about this card, but it reassures me that I can reach my goals as long as I stay faithful to them.
Last edited by YlvaJackdaw on 31 Dec 2017, 04:21, edited 13 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

This looks like a lovely spread :icon_cool: . I will aim for a daily draw of Quantum Tarot, Solar System and Elements triplets.

The Sun (M-Theory), Io, Boron. Increased understanding, making connections, integration of personality. (Many dreams of wandering about, travelling, which is quite normal. No feelings of urgency, purpose or anything unpleasant, just enjoying the scenery).

4 of Pentacles (Elliptical Galaxy), Earth Without a Moon?, Iridium. Marvel at the awe inspiring realities of the Universe and beautiful creations of Nature rather than books filled with human speculation and clever rationalisation.

The Chariot (Special Relativity), Charon, Krypton. Energy/Matter, Space/Time, Pluto/Charon, Black Horse/White Horse - every impulse to do something is cancelled out by the impulse not to do it, -1+1=0. If in doubt, do nowt.

King of Pentacles (Saturn), Venus: A Hothouse World, Hydrogen (Pillars of Creation). Consider what has spiralled out of control, what could have been done better. Go back to the beginning, use limited resources more wisely.

7 of Cups (Red Giant), Mars, Praseodymium. There is a core of truth in all this but it's very hard to find among the clouds of wishful thinking, fantasy and delusion conjured up by our imaginations. It's probably best not to go there.

4 of Wands (Electroweak unified force), Europa, Francium. Get different aspects of your self working in harmony to create something lasting. Although outwardly there might appear to be nothing happening, a lot of exciting things are going on under the surface.

2 of Pentacles (Spin), Uranus, Copernicium. It's a very uncertain area. People don't choose to be related and may be acting through feelings of obligation.

Justice (Planck's constant), Gaspra (11 flyby images), Xenon. Concentrate on a limited set of things, explore one thing from different angles.

Page of Swords (Mercury), Gaspra, Iridium. The trouble with having an open mind is people put things in it. Maintain a protective shield.

King of Swords (Uranus), Jupiter's Death Zone (Radio, UV, X-ray images), (lost by forum disruption). Look at things from a different point of view, turn them upside down.

7 of Pentacles (Quarks), Earth: A Water World, Indium. You have all you need, are self contained and independent. Enjoy the feeling that you can walk away at any time.

Queen of Pentacles (Earth), Itokawa, Mendelevium. Remember that what appears new to you may in fact be incredibly old. Everything in the universe is forever recycling, recombining into apparently new forms, but has actually been around since the beginning of time.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Seldes Katne

Post by Seldes Katne »

I think I'm going to try this with a daily draw. Will be using the Barbara Moore Steampunk deck.

1. Mother Night of Dreams: Dec 20th. This card reminds us to look for a particular message in our dreams tonight. The ancients believed that our dreams on this night foretold some of the important events in the coming year.

The Three of Cups. Trios or trinities. The celebration of friendship and partnership. A team, with each member bringing something unique to the group. Eat, drink and be merry! Overall, a very positive card.

I find it interesting that the Three of Cups appears in a Dream category. For nearly four years, I've been in a toxic work environment, and was preparing to leave my job. During that time, I continually had dreams of needing to get back to my home or a hotel room or other base of operations, but being unable to do so, no matter how much I tried; something always interfered and sent me in the wrong direction. However, recently, the person who was making my (and everyone else's ) job so miserable suddenly announced that she had found another position -- she left in March. We now have a really nice guy in her job, and work is a much more pleasant place. A few nights ago, for the first time, I had a dream of struggling through various challenges and difficulties, and actually reaching a place of safety.

2. Yule - Winter Solstice: Dec 21st. This card shows us how best to connect to the Light within and without - it symbolizes the Birth of the Sun.
The Magician -- the culmination of natural talent, much practice and study, and a resonance with magic. Attaining mastery.

Connecting with the Light -- the Light can be expressed by and found in many things and places; no one spiritual path seems to have a monopoly on the Light. Most people and things have a Light and Dark side. Each year during Lent I try to read at least one book about a non-Christian belief system. (Next year it will be Siddhartha.) I want to see what wisdom I can find in unfamiliar places and practices.

3. The Time of Beth: Dec 22nd. This card points to the inner blocks and resistance that is holding us back from following our dreams.

The Page of Cups. Romantic, in love with someone or something, ready to try something new and creative. Carried away.

This is the kind of thing I avoid like the proverbial plague. I prefer to be a practical, down-to-earth person who solves problems through reason and research. So I don't really want to have to jump off a cliff to achieve my goals. But perhaps I need to, at least a little.

4. Hopi Time of Renewal: Dec 23rd. This card indicates the best way for us to seek purification and renewal, and to build tolerance for others.

The Nine of Wands. Preparing for battle. The last stand. Operating in crisis mode. The suggestion that after this crisis, however, it's time to take stock and decide if the fighting is necessary, or just something you're doing to give your life meaning, and that another path is available. It's okay to ask for help.

Well, this sounds like the socio-political situation in the US for the past year. It's been one long, rolling crisis with no let-up. I certainly feel as though I've gained empathy for some people, but still don't have it for others. Sometimes it's difficult to sympathize with, or even communicate with, people on the other side of the political "fence."

5. Feast of Mothers, Christmas Eve: Dec 24th. This card shows how we can connect with the spirits of our ancestors for communion and to ask for wisdom and guidance. It is also a time for Christians to reflect on the birth of Christ.

The Knight of Cups. Romance. In love with the idea of love. Living in a dream world. Artistic endeavors. Music, poetry. Looking at other interpretations around the Web: Stillness and a period of introspection. (Now, that I can do.) A peaceful life of creative adventure. (Much better.)

The cards are getting all emotional on me. :icon_e_biggrin: Out of five cards, three have been from the Cups suite. This deck may be trying to tell me to "search my feelings," or at least get in touch with them, or look to them for guidance. Perhaps this ties into the introspective aspect of the card: reflecting on the relatives I knew and what I remember of them.

6. Festival of Life, Christmas: Dec 25th. This card shows us how to connect directly with Spirit.

The Page of Swords. Decisive action. The confidence to try something new. Expecting success. Full steam ahead.

7. Yuletide, Kwanzaa: Dec 26th. This card shows us how to express nurturance, to attend to our families and to express the protective energy within us towards others.

Nine of Swords. Feeling trapped. Feeling threatened. Self-doubt. Worry.

I'm not sure if the card means I feel threatened by the idea of nurture, or whether I'm more likely to be protective when I think someone/something is being threatened. (Or perhaps both.)

8. Birth of Freyja: Dec 27th. This card points to issues of love, luck, artistic and creative expression and female wisdom.

The Eight of Swords.

9. Feast of Alcyone: Dec 28th. This card gives us a personal inner message - one that speaks directly to our heart and spirit.

The Ace of Cups. The potential for emotional connection. However, bringing this potential to fruition requires action and effort.

I really love the Aces in this deck.

10. Day of Nymphs : Dec 29th. This card encourages us to connect to our playful side, our inner child and how best to cultivate this aspect of ourselves.

The Fool. How appropriate!

11. Day of Rest: Dec 30th. This card shows us how to walk our path in a relaxed and confident way....with the ability to deal with stressful situations in a philosophical, detached way.

Justice. Maintaining order. Dealing with situations and people fairly. Balance.

This reminds me of the character Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He was all about order, fairness and finding out all the facts before rendering judgement. It also reminds me of the Dineh (Navajo) concept of balance, of how all things connect to each other, that all things have their time and place in the world.

12. New Year's Eve, Hogmanay: Dec 31st. This card shows us how to release the old and let in the new. This relates to both our external lives and our inner being.

The King of Cups. Compassion Caring and empathetic assistance are of utmost importance. Trusted advice (or advisor).

Perhaps it's time to "unfreeze" a little and start paying attention to the emotional well-being of those around me.
Last edited by Seldes Katne on 31 Dec 2017, 22:10, edited 12 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links