Astrology Basics: The Planets, Signs, and You

Moderator: Michael Sternbach

popgoth

Astrology Basics: The Planets, Signs, and You

Post by popgoth » 30 Dec 2017, 18:08

Everybody knows their sun sign (the sign the sun was in when you were born) but every planet shapes you into who you are.

Sun:
Keywords: Ego, individuality, confidence, will

your sun sign represents your basic ego and identity. This is the easiest sign to figure out because all you need is your birth day and birth month, whereas to find out the other planets and signs, you need your birth time, day, month, year, and location of birth…lucky for us, that’s all on our birth certificates, and double lucky for us, we have the internet now so all you need to do is head over to alabe or cafeastrology and you can get your chart in seconds! Most people find that they do identify with their sun sign, and because it’s the most commercialized aspect, we can see how sun sign horoscopes are so popular. However, there are those that feel no connection at all to their sun sign. The reason is simply because there are ten planets (if you include the sun) in your chart that collectively create the person you are. Your sun could’ve also been close to another planet at the time you were born, so say your sun was closer to neptune, you would probably carry more pisces traits.

Ascendant (rising):
Keywords: First impressions, outward, entrance-way, perception
This is the sign that was rising over the eastern horizon at the time of your birth. This sign is the outward expression of your personality. This sign generally determines how you’re perceived by the outside world. This sign reflects how you deal with others and your style of interacting with people.

Moon:
Keywords: emotions, feeling, reaction, unconscious
Whereas the sun and ascendant are on the surface where others can see, the moon is below, where you see. The Moon rules over our emotions, our instincts, moods, habits, our subconscious. This is the side of ourselves we tend to hide from others. It influences your receptivity to others and how they feel about you. If your moon is in virgo in your chart, you’re more quiet and reserved, and you enjoy helping others. Routine is your comfort zone. There’s order in everything that you do…even if others don’t understand your way of doing things. You examine every angle of a situation before reacting.

Mercury:
Keywords: mind, intelligence, understanding, communication
Your mercury sign rules over your communication skills and mental activity; your intelligence, memory, writing, decision making. For example, if your mercury is in gemini, you’re probably a quick learner, but you get bored easily, so you’re constantly flip flopping from subject to subject. Mercury also rules your voice, so if you’re a strong public speaker or an actor, you’re probably heavily influenced by mercury.

Venus:
Keywords: social skills, love, spending habits, partnership
Venus rules over your ability to express affection, desirability, and sex appeal. It’s the planet of close relationships and personal resources—possessions, money, and earning power. In horoscopes, when mercury enters your sun sign, its generally a sign of good luck/good fortune coming your way. It shows how you indulge yourself, how you define beauty, and what you seek in a significant other. Venus is what you attract and how you interact. For example, a venus gemini needs constant excitement in relationships, or they get bored and move on, and they generally keep more than one flow of income coming their way.

Mars:
Keywords: passion, sex, conflict, aggression, action
Mars is the planet of energy, action, and drive. Your sign in mars influences your motivation, it’s what gets you out of bed in the morning. Depending on the sign in your mars, you could be a risk taker and extremely assertive, self reliant, and have a lot of stamina/endurance…or you could prefer to take the backseat. There are varying levels due to each signs own personal power. If your mars is in taurus, your patience,and perseverance are your strengths, and you’re unbelievably determined, and you believe slow and steady wins the race…but once you’ve formed an opinion you’re also extremely stubborn this can drive away those that need someone easy going and cooperative. Whereas if your mars is in pisces, your creativity and imagination are your strengths, but you struggle with confrontation and following through on your plans.

Jupiter:
Keywords: luck, legal matters, travel, higher education, success, optimism, generosity
Jupiter is the major planet of luck, having this planet travel into your daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly horoscope is always a blessing. It expands whatever it touches. Its aspect in your chart (house and sign) show what you wish for, what career you will have the most luck in, how generous you are, as well as your personal set of ethics and philosophical beliefs. If your jupiter is in aries; you’re a free spirit and your enthusiasm is a plague that infects everyone you come across…but your love for challenges tends to get you into trouble by taking on too much. If your jupiter is in cancer; family ties and home life are very important to you…you’re very loyal, and your gut feelings with money tend to land you wealth.

Saturn:
Keywords: responsibility, challenge, obstacles, wisdom, karma, ambition
Commonly dreaded in charts, Saturn rules over the area of your life where you have the most lessons to learn, where you may feel vulnerable, and your karma. It represents delays, restriction, obstacles, endurance, ambition, and humility. Though Saturn is viewed negatively (because none of us like struggle or suffering!!) it recognizes hard work and brings you what you deserve. It teaches you wisdom, strength of character, and how to take responsibility for yourself. the be quiet tiffany of planets. If your saturn is in pisces, you struggle with self sabatoge—you need to learn not to be be the cause of your own unhappiness, and develop courage and determination to take yourself to higher levels. Your creativity and imagination are blessings that can help you on your path. If your Saturn is in aries, conflicting energies cause you to be strong and assertive one moment, and wavering the next. You need to overcome this through developing self discipline, and learning to turn your aggression into a steady flow of assertiveness. Obstacles will consistently be put in your path, but you must learn to overcome them without the aggression this firey sign is tied to.

Uranus:
Keywords: unconventional, rebellion, opportunity, freedom
Uranus rules over change, the unexpected, originality, and the unconventional. The sign in uranus on your natal chart shows what you rebel against, where you seek freedom and independence; where you feel free to express your individuality. Sudden changes and how you react to them are dictated by your sign in this planet, however the rest of your chart adds to this. If you’re chart is mainly fixed signs you’re more resistant to change, mutable and cardinal signs are more comfortable with change. Uranus’ catchphrase is “eureka!” it brings flashes of insight/enlightenment that create change in the form of something new. Uranus leo’s are creative, willful, strong leaders, but they’re challenged to put their egos aside for the greater good. Uranus Sanitarians are drawn to anything and everything different and unusual. They have a physical need to know how everything and anything works. They rebel against anything too organized and structured.

Neptune:
Keywords: dreams, imagination, illusion, creativity
Neptune rules over your dream life, creativity, confusion, the unmasking of reality. It shows us where our blind spot is; where it’s easy for us to be deceived. Scorpio in neptune brings deep, intense emotions and a heightened sixth sense; they’re innovative and inventive, and are passionate about fighting for government change, but also the potential for heavy drug abuse.

Pluto:
Keywords: research, subconscious, transformation, massive change
Pluto represents generations of people, and the big events that affect their lives. Many people born within a few years of eachother will experience its effects at the same time. Pluto eliminates the old to make room for the new. Pluto represents where you choose to take charge or become the victim. Though it’s affect is generational, it’s impact on the individual remains personal to their own chart. Scorpio in pluto brings strength and determination and an unwavering commitment to fulfill your potential…but they can also be ruthless in getting what they want.

If you want your birth chart but you don’t have the $$$$ to get it done by an astrologist you can get a basic rundown here https://alabe.com/freechart/ though, i would recommend digging deeper after you get your basic info.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jo Ann
Founder

Re: Astrology Basics: The Planets, Signs, and You

Post by Jo Ann » 05 Jan 2018, 15:19

why isn't the 13th zodiac used? isn't it the one that has cassiopia's husband? can't remember the name. Cassiopia is a great constellation. I love it. too bad it didn't fit in the zodiac. This comes from the astronomy me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 02 Feb 2018, 12:31

No no. Cassiopeia's husband Cepheus is not close to the zodiac/ecliptic, but Ophiuchus is. It's a big and clear constellation and part of it is on the ecliptic. I call it Hodor because it's a big man ;-)

Btw, Popgoth, you copied the whole text from a website and should add the link. Otherwise people might think you wrote that yourself.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 02 Feb 2018, 13:49

Jo Ann wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 15:19
why isn't the 13th zodiac used? isn't it the one that has cassiopia's husband? can't remember the name. Cassiopia is a great constellation. I love it. too bad it didn't fit in the zodiac. This comes from the astronomy me.
The 13th constellation isn't used because Western astrology doesn't actually use the constellations. It uses the Earth's seasons. Back when they were developing the system the constellations aligned with particular times. That means that the start of Aries doesn't actually have to with entering the constellation but it's when we have the equinox. The constellation of Aries moves over time but the equinox is always in the last third of April. Hence, the astrological Aries always starts in the last third of April.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann » 02 Feb 2018, 19:08

Nemia wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 12:31
No no. Cassiopeia's husband Cepheus is not close to the zodiac/ecliptic, but Ophiuchus is. It's a big and clear constellation and part of it is on the ecliptic. I call it Hodor because it's a big man ;-)

Btw, Popgoth, you copied the whole text from a website and should add the link. Otherwise people might think you wrote that yourself.
That's right Ophiuchus!!! When I thought about Cepheus location in the sky, he is not all that close to the zodiac.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann » 02 Feb 2018, 19:10

Thanx CB. never thought of it in terms of the 4 seasons.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Michael Sternbach
Site Admin

Post by Michael Sternbach » 03 Feb 2018, 20:17

Nemia wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 12:31
I agree. Quotes should be recognizable as such and have their source added to them, especially such extensive ones.

Thank you for your attentiveness, Nemia, and providing "the missing link".

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Trina

Post by Trina » 25 May 2018, 06:15

popgoth wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 18:08
Everybody knows their sun sign (the sign the sun was in when you were born) but every planet shapes you into who you are.

Sun:
Keywords: Ego, individuality, confidence, will

your sun sign represents your basic ego and identity. This is the easiest sign to figure out because all you need is your birth day and birth month, whereas to find out the other planets and signs, you need your birth time, day, month, year, and location of birth…lucky for us, that’s all on our birth certificates, and double lucky for us, we have the internet now so all you need to do is head over to alabe or cafeastrology and you can get your chart in seconds! Most people find that they do identify with their sun sign, and because it’s the most commercialized aspect, we can see how sun sign horoscopes are so popular. However, there are those that feel no connection at all to their sun sign. The reason is simply because there are ten planets (if you include the sun) in your chart that collectively create the person you are. Your sun could’ve also been close to another planet at the time you were born, so say your sun was closer to neptune, you would probably carry more pisces traits.
Hi popgoth,
thank you for posting these descriptions and also thank you for providing the link to the website. I just spent about an hour going through the posts :)
At the moment I try to get as much information and different sources and astrology as possible and I did already find a lot of very useful information here and also further through this forum.
I think it is totally legitim to start with the sun signs, the ones who are really interested are going to dig deeper and then it gets more and more interesting and as it was for me, I couldn't stop seeking for more.
Have a great weekend everyone,
Trina

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Astrology”