The Ideas for making our tarot deck

Jo Ann
Founder

The Ideas for making our tarot deck

Post by Jo Ann »

Here are the finalized rules for now.

We need a lot more people to sign up. Come on now, let's see your tarot spirit shine!!!!

As things progress, new instructions will be added.

Cards must be working size of 5x8.5 inches, (12.7cmX21.6cm). I will batch resize them to 2.5" x 4.25" or slightly larger. Save them as *.png not jpg, bmp, or gif. PNG retains all its pixel memory and will not degrade in use as jpgs do and it's more web friendly as a png. Save as 300 ppi for printing out.

The theme is Nature/Universe/Oneness in Nature. And try to be sort of RWS so that there is a theme structure to tie the cards together.

Dead line for signing up is February 11, 2018

The basic look of a card, the overall deck theme, and the card size are the only firm rules. The card can be digitally produced. There can be borders, but there doesn't have to be borders. There is no rule for borders. If you make a 3d physical card remember that it may not translate to a photo image very well, so I would test what it looks like throughout your process of making your card(s). You want to maintain its personality! @onion15@

There will be a poll put up to pick a deck name. You can make suggestions.

"The Eclectic Forum Tarot Deck" or
"Our Eclectic Tarot Deck" or
"Universal Eclectic Tarot Deck"

If we get people working on it from
Cartomancy it will be called: The Eclectic Cartomancy Deck

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
original entry
It will follow a theme and be 2.5" x 4.25" and has to be less than 1/8th" or 3mm in thickness because they will have to be scanned. The the basic look of a card, theme and the size is the only constant or rules. It can be made out of any non-toxic material with out strong odor but it has to be able to be scanned. There can be borders, there doesn't have to be borders. There is no rule for borders.

Now here is the thing. Since i have know clue how many people are gonna sign up, there may be two or more cards per person. So, Just to start off, sign your name and how many cards you are willing to make. ie Gladys 2 or Joejimboybob 3 or pushyprincess (leave #1 blank). It doesn't mean that you will have to make that many, but it helps to have an idea. if we don't reach 65 once enough time has passed, then we make what we can. and then maybe have more volunteers to make cards.

Once i get the list. I will start at the top from first person to sign up to last person to sign up and draw cards from a deck, say 9 of pents is the first card i pull and will go to the first person on the list. Not to worry, if you say one card, you will get on one card pulled. hopefully the signup with be enough. But please, don't say three unless you can actually or are willingly able to do 3.

Now. You are the person responsible for writing up your card(s) stuff for the LWB which doesn't have a rule either other than, it be understandable and in english. But if you want, you can add you first language translation with it. That would be cool and in the characters in which you would write them. Like if you are russian, you would use russian print. I am being clear enough. Me a linguistics freak and i can't think of the term i want, it keeps coming out hieroglyphics or cuneiform. AARRRggghhhhh :slow:

I will post a thread for sign up and this one for comments. And as far as comments go, remember you are on a txt based forum and communicating via txt is not the best way. So Don't worry,just comment and be happy. Oh throw in the appropriate smilie or two.

The time limit will depend on how many people are signing up and how long its taking. Right now, along side of signing up, we are well varied in our cultural aspects so lets have some theme idea

Know Your Stuff -My Card Lists
Rooster Mama :had: here, my sidekick Yarr :yarr: his spirit guide :trans16: and me wee beastie :beasty: Familier!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Re: Jan 16 2018

Post by kyan »

hi, new to the forum, this is my first post! :wave:

i like “universal eclectic tarot” for the official name! something about “universal” sounds perfect for a group collaboration.

this is a brilliant idea...not sure about signing up yet, but i may be more inclined to do so if we could actually pick the card(s) — for instance, i can’t draw horses. i may even have drawing horse-a-phobia... so no knights please!

it sounds like the finished deck may end up like a wonderful “crazy quilt“ sort of tarot, filled with cards of varying styles, color intensities, borders and imagery.

as far as theme ideas... i would recommend RWS imagery with an “anything goes” approach. perhaps that goes without saying, but what i mean is once it’s decided we go with RWS (for instance), each contributor can do their card in whatever style/medium/mood they feel most comfortable drawing/painting/collaging, as long as it retains the elements of RWS imagery.

also, the suit element should be consistent. coins, if chosen, should be coins— not a mixture of coins, pentacles, pizzas, seashells, frisbees, or other coin-like objects. (i even recommend creating a style sheet that artists can follow, so these elements are easily recognizable across the suit.)

however, i would encourage going off the beaten path and give freedom in regards to other imagery. for instance, knights could be riding giraffes, elk, or turtles, instead of horses.

i like turtles. :icon_mrgreen:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann »

I am glad that you stopped in to check it out. I certainly agree with you that people get to pick their own card. But say 78 people sign up and 50 chose the priestess to do. That is what i thought when i first started to think about this,
but realize that people are going to pick the same card.

I like that title too. will probably do a poll so people can pick a name.

I surely hope you choose to make a card. Also I am going to encourage people to start making cards and put up a gallery for cards that people wanted to make. Maybe get another deck out of it. :clap:

Rooster Mama :had: here, my sidekick Yarr :yarr: his spirit guide :trans16: and me wee beastie :beasty: Familier!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Carojulie

Post by Carojulie »

Hello !
This sounds interesting and exciting !
I would love to make a card but I am not good at drawing (no horses, like kyan, but no people either.... I can draw trees and flowers, but I fear that is not enough.) If I make a card I might go with collage then, if it is allowed.
And could I put the title of the card in french on the card, or french only for the translation of the LWB slot ? We have a international community so it would be fun if the cards bore titles in the native language of their creators.... we are all knowledgeable enough of the RWS to recognise cards even if we cannot read their titles anyway, and there would still be the LWB with its english translation, to help. What do you think ?
Thanks !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Carojulie

Post by Carojulie »

PS : I had a little trouble findng this thread. The turquoise flag at the top of the forum page, announces that the thread is in the "Fun and games" in the reading section of the forum, but it is not ! I fear that people might miss the thread because they are looking for it somewhere else ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Eclectic Tarot Deck 2018

Post by kyan »

hmmm..... or people can choose cards on a first come first serve basis? that might prompt members to sign up more quickly! :icon_e_biggrin:

but i understand the lottery concept for sure. BTW, i did sign up — and have committed to doing the two of pentacles, the four of cups, and the fool three cards. :icon_lol:

Carojulie, i am all for various languages on the cards! why not? more of the crazy quilt approach. but perhaps a rule that says all titles should appear at the bottom or top, at a certain size or color— for some sense of cohesion within the deck. and i hope collage is allowed because that would make it immensely easier and more fun for non artist types! i plan on using a mix of drawing/collage.

also, i can find the topic easily enough, but the confusing part is the title of this particular thread: the jan 16th date throws me off.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Carojulie

Post by Carojulie »

I think the "First come, first served" concept is an excellent idea !
And I also think that it would be nice to try and keep a visual cohesion by deciding on a placement for the titles. Not absolutely necessary IMO, but it would look good and it would be some sort of "trademark" running through the different cards....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann »

thanx for letting me know where the forum is. I think it may have moved not sure. lol

If i could be certain that I would get 78 sign ups. then i would do it that way. but we will have to wait and see. I will definitely change the green thing!

thanx again.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann »

thanx for letting me know where the forum is. I think it may have moved not sure. lol

If i could be certain that I would get 78 sign ups. then i would do it that way. but we will have to wait and see. I will definitely change the green thing!

thanx again.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann »

I forgot, yes you can use French on the card if you want. What ever makes your card unique to you! although i must say nakedness while making the card and on the card is frowned upon. @onion35@ :bravo:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links