outline to make a deck

For general questions and comments regarding the production and distribution of Indy decks.
Jo Ann
Founder

outline to make a deck

Post by Jo Ann »

is there a basic outline to making a deck. my brain is all over the place and needs structure for some stuff like long projects. I need to take notes on an outline so as I don't forget what I was doing.

Know Your Stuff -My Card Lists
Rooster Mama :had: here, my sidekick Yarr :yarr: his spirit guide :trans16: and me wee beastie :beasty: Familier!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Michael Sternbach
Founder

Re: outline to make a deck

Post by Michael Sternbach »

Even though there are no absolute rules, there is some basic symbolism that the cards should carry, IMO: The Fool has some four-legged animal on it, The Magician the four magical weapons, etc.

As to what form these traditional symbols take, and what other symbols you want to add, refer to your own understanding of the cards.

Use a journal to keep track of your ideas.

Have fun! :32(12):

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann »

i meant to keep me on the right path instead of swaying from it. I sway alot :trans13:

Rooster Mama :had: here, my sidekick Yarr :yarr: his spirit guide :trans16: and me wee beastie :beasty: Familier!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Michael Sternbach
Founder

Post by Michael Sternbach »

0fool wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 02:20 i meant to keep me on the right path instead of swaying from it. I sway alot :trans13:
I'd say, don't fight it, go with it! The Daodejing teaches: Let expand first what you want to compress later. So explore all those ideas that your wild imagination brings forth! Even if you are not going to use most of them, eventually - you will find some gems among them, if you let them unfold the way they want to.

Having a journal helps a lot, IME. If in paper form, reserve a few pages for each single card - this will allow you to keep your ideas together, review them, and expand on them as inspiration comes.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann »

I am a failed journalist. but it is a good idea.

I am getting so pissed there is some chic in my house the last few days hiccup giggles and I know she's there cuz the dog hears maybe sees her. and I don't get it. no one died in this house. we're the second owners and I am the 3rd female. she is gonna be sorry if i decide to get rid of her. even tho i don't intellectually believe in this kinda thing i can be a monster when it comes to getting rid of them. My oldest daughter was so upset with me when i was done, she said she should have called a priest. If they don't leave when you ask them to several times and nicely. then they just bring it on themselves.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
witchofglass

Post by witchofglass »

Taking notes is a good place to start, yeah.

Another good one is deciding on a theme or aesthetic. Like, I know that I way prefer bright colors in my decks, and I want to do a dragon deck eventually. That, IMO, gives me a huge leg up on people who are just like "I want to do a deck" without any direction - it gives me a place to actually sit down and start thinking about the cards individually.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie »

witchofglass wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 23:28 Taking notes is a good place to start, yeah.

Another good one is deciding on a theme or aesthetic. Like, I know that I way prefer bright colors in my decks, and I want to do a dragon deck eventually. That, IMO, gives me a huge leg up on people who are just like "I want to do a deck" without any direction - it gives me a place to actually sit down and start thinking about the cards individually.
And it seems like once you do that, decide on a theme and aesthetic, you see it everywhere. You're inspiration feeds itself constantly.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie »

0fool wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 02:20 i meant to keep me on the right path instead of swaying from it. I sway alot :trans13:
When I started my deck, I made a plan in an excel spreadsheet. I decided the order I would create the cards, how many I would complete each week in order to meet the deadline I set myself. It was all very orderly.

That plan lasted about a day.

I quickly realised, that for me, creating, making art, doesn't work that way.

What replaced my "plan" was my growing obsession with the theme and with doing the work. I found myself inspired by a photo or something and think to myself, "4 of Cups!" and immediately go to work on the four of cups. Then as I was completing the 4 of Cups, I'd see something and think, "10 of Swords!" and off I'd go on that adventure.

I kept a notebook and wrote the name of one card in order on each page and every time I finished a card I would print it out with my own printer, cut it out and paste it into the notebook. Then I would make all kinds of little notes around it.

It was fun for me to see the book get filled. In the end I had made myself a kind of "Grimoire" that was actually a record of my whole process.

I really enjoyed doing it and have an idea for my next one already.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
witchofglass

Post by witchofglass »

Joan Marie wrote: 01 Aug 2017, 02:09
When I started my deck, I made a plan in an excel spreadsheet. I decided the order I would create the cards, how many I would complete each week in order to meet the deadline I set myself. It was all very orderly.

That plan lasted about a day.
I laughed aloud at this because, yep. That's what overplanning does to you.

I don't do so much straight up art, but I write a lot. And the more I force myself to stick to a specific plan, the harder it becomes. So I just don't anymore; I work on whatever I'm feeling at the moment. Some days that winds up being 2K words of really bizarre niche fiction, some days it's an hour and four sketchbook pages full of environmental screencap redraws. Some days it's eight pairs of earrings.

I figure as long as it's not nothing, it's progress.

anyway re: aesthetics and finding inspiration: Unfortunately, my aesthetic has turned out to be very niche in not only the divination community but a lot of the wider witchy-and-magic community at large, which makes it hard. Bold bright colors just aren't all that popular; people prefer either the kind of aged goth look (like your icon) or the wispy pastel thing, in my experience.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann »

go with what you want, its your spiritually your practicing not theirs; I wear bohemian weird stuff and cover my head. I get looks bit who cares I waited till i was almost 65 to wrap my head. would have been happier if i would have done it sooner.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links