For you Thothies out there...

Monthly reading circle for Thoth veterans as well as for newbies

Moderator: Michael Sternbach

Forum rules
The Thoth Reading Club will be held monthly. Both newbies as well as experienced Thothies are welcome to join. Sign up is on during the first week of every month. Readings should be posted during the following week. Full feedback is expected by the end of the month. Menbers are encouraged to remind one another by PM if a reading or feedback is overdue; should help be needed, please contact a Mod or Admin. The club guide may specify a specific spread or topic at the beginning of a Reading Circle. Use the Thoth or one of its clones. This is a learning forum, so participants are encouraged to comment on and ask questions in regards to active threads, including those they are not participating in. Club guide may chime in with occasional commentsand suggestions. And here is the most important rule of all: Have fun! :)
DDwarks
Global Moderator

DDwarks reading for 2dogs

Post by DDwarks »

2dogs wrote: 22 Jul 2017, 09:28 How can I make best use of my Thoth deck :?: .
Its Friday and as promised, here's your reading :)
Ive done 3 cards for you. I'm on my phone so it wont be an essay I'm afraid (and relieved!).

What have you done so far: 4 of Disks
A card of stability and structure!
Looks like someone got his head down and got on with analysing and getting to know the ins and out of the Thoth!
You've got the theory right if nothing else so well done. Its no easy task!
The 4 of Disks is Sun in Capricorn. I dont know much about what it means but I'll venture to say that Capricorn, being an Earth sign shows consistency and a solid professional approach to your Thoth studies.

Where you are now? 6 of Wands
Jupiter in Leo.
You've done good and you know you have!
The challenges the Thoth presented have been surmounted through hard work and self belief but as your question hints at, you're wondering about the next step. You want to get to enjoy the Thoth. You need to see the rewards to fully feel satisfied with it all.

What you need to do next. Ace of Cups
The water Signs.
Oh dear!
You've done all the ground work and have been both studious and hard working. You've truly committed yourself to unravel it but somewhere along the lines, you forgot to look at it as a voice rather than a written message.
There's another realm to the Thoth that you havent explored yet. It's an intuitive deck as well as a study deck.
All your knowledge is still only external. Its soul you haven't reached yet.

I hope this has given some interesting insight into your query 2dogs:)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
CharlotteK

CharotteKAT reading for Nemia

Post by CharlotteK »

What is the root of my problems with work and money?
Spread - Adapted from the Money Profile Spread from Barbara Moore's 'Tarot Spreads' book - p105

1**2**3**4

1) Emotional Attitude - your feelings about work and money

Prince of Cups

Such a watery card. The prince is in a chariot pulled by an eagle, flying over the surface of water that also appears to be hit by heavy rain. Behind him are clouds, perhaps clouds of steam. He has a lotus in one hand, and in the other a cup with a serpent. He also has an eagle on his helmet. So also a card of air as well as of water, and a definite sense of energetic conditions around the Prince. This could be an intensely emotional card but the Prince is skimming over the water, and is staring fairly intently at the snake in the cup so i think it's intensity is much less that might initially appear. It would suggest you have potentially quite strong and turbulent feelings about both work and money, but that you keep these in check and deliberately take a more intellectual approach.

2) Intellectual Attitude - your intellectual understanding about work and money - your logical theory if emotion and practical considerations were removed.

Four of Cups - Luxury

The four cups in the card are not equal, as the top two are overfilled but the flow dwindles to the bottom two. This suggests your understanding of money is that it can certainly buy pleasure, but that it shouldn't be wasted because it might not be there for long. Your theory about money is that it doesn't ultimately buy happiness, and also that its source is far from stable. This may be linked to your intellectual attitude towards work also, which is that work may also be here today and gone tomorrow. There is definitely something in the card that describes your attitude that neither work nor money are certain prospects. The 'luxury' title of this card strikes me as having a little irony about it - perhaps signifying how it's easy to splurge only to suffer down the line.

3) Practical Attitude - How you actually use money and go about work in your everyday life.

10 of Disks - Wealth

The disks on this card are arranged into a symmetrical pattern There is meaning and purpose there. It looks as though you are able to use your skills and creative talents to earn money, and practically, you feel obliged to put boith your skills and financial resources you have to good use. From a work perspective, it seems that you have a drive to put your skills and abilities towards making a difference, perhaps making the world a better place, and that you are very focussed on conscious decisions about where you put your energies, and the kind of world you want to create and be a part of.

4) Spiritual Attitude - What do you believe about work and money and the metaphysical laws of the universe regarding money, resources and work.

5 of Swords - Defeat

The colour of this card is a sickly green, and it features an inverted pentagram, suggesting a battering of the will under the weight of material concern. The blades of the swords are bent and damaged, suggesting it's hard for you to think straight about things. From a spiritual point of view, I think you are finding that the dominant themes of work and money are taking up valuable space and energy and that you are perhaps caught up in circular thinking about work and money, and this is impacting on your spirit. Perhaps you also feel the way the laws of money and work operate are loaded against some people, and are not fundamentally fair

I asked for a further card for insight into how to tackle root cause, and pulled the three of wands. This card has a positive aspect, there is a sun-like image behind the wands which are upright, and appear to be flowering. The message here i think is about creating, possibly with others, what you want out of life. You have a lot to offer, if you have confidence in this.

Sorry this is not at all "thothy" i still don't understand a lot of the symbolism in the deck. I also have a really heavy cold so my intuition is swathed in cotton wool. Hope some of it is useful tho.

Charlotte
Last edited by CharlotteK on 29 Jul 2017, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

2dogs feedback for DDwarks

Post by Serpentwand »

DDwarks wrote: 28 Jul 2017, 17:17
Ive done 3 cards for you. I'm on my phone so it wont be an essay I'm afraid (and relieved!).

Looks like someone got his head down and got on with analysing and getting to know the ins and out of the Thoth!
The 4 of Disks is Sun in Capricorn. I dont know much about what it means but I'll venture to say that Capricorn, being an Earth sign shows consistency and a solid professional approach to your Thoth studies.

Jupiter in Leo.
The challenges the Thoth presented have been surmounted through hard work and self belief but as your question hints at, you're wondering about the next step. You want to get to enjoy the Thoth. You need to see the rewards to fully feel satisfied with it all.

The water Signs.
Oh dear!
You've done all the ground work and have been both studious and hard working. You've truly committed yourself to unravel it but somewhere along the lines, you forgot to look at it as a voice rather than a written message.
There's another realm to the Thoth that you havent explored yet. It's an intuitive deck as well as a study deck.

Thank you very much DD. The reading matches up well with my experiences so far:

4 of Disks : I haven't analysed the whole deck or gone into Crowley's theory, but have made a serious effort to look at what the individual cards drawn have been saying by reading about the individual symbols and thinking hard about how their arrangement in the card and its overall composition relate to the question being asked, and I have put the time in to get the answers I'm satisfied with.

6 of Wands: The readings I've done so far have made sense and generally been well received but they have been a struggle and in the main been slow to figure out and write up, not really enjoyable, more a sense of relief when they're done. Which I suppose has led me to buy those DV angel and fairy decks.

Ace of Cups: This rings very true, I get no great feeling or intuition from the Thoth, it just seems to involve vast amounts of esoteric and quite possibly misleading study and I'm not keen on wasting years going down another dead end. I need to anchor myself more in reality such as with my fact cards, but perhaps have a bit of fun and stimulate my dreams with the more fantasy based decks.

So yes this has given me some good insight. I seem to be locked into using the Thoth on here anyway, so will continue with it among my other decks for the time being and see how it goes.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Michael Sternbach
Founder

Re: DDwarks reading for 2dogs

Post by Michael Sternbach »

Hi DDwarks,

I hope you don't mind a few comments...
DDwarks wrote: 28 Jul 2017, 17:17

As 2dogs confirmed meanwhile, she did take a systematic and determined approach towards the deck. I feel that her study may have been lacking the playful element a bit though - which is often a connotation of this card.
Jupiter in Leo.
The card actually suggests that some kind of breakthrough has been achieved. Most likely, an insight where to go with this. The decision that this doesn't need to be an endless head trip.
The water Signs.
Oh dear!
Based on the breakthrough suggested by the last card, there seems to be the a releasing of emotions, a letting go, letting flow next... Which may indeed lead to a more intuitive understanding of this deck.
The summary of this reading (4 + 6 + 1) is Trump XI: Lust. Enjoyment of this deck will come as the sitter goes beyond the idea that the Thoth requires tiresome study of all the esoteric literature associated with it right from the start (symbolized by the paling praying monks in the background). This will give way to a more multi-dimensional and ecstatic experience of the Thoth, eventually.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
DDwarks
Global Moderator

Re: DDwarks reading for 2dogs.reply to Michael's feedback

Post by DDwarks »

I dont mind at all!
I was hoping someone would chime in and give their own understanding of it.
Would you say, in all honesty please! - that my working of the cards is too RWS?
I ask because most of the time that's how it feels to me.
Last edited by DDwarks on 29 Jul 2017, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Michael Sternbach
Founder

Re: For you Thothies out there...

Hi all,

I decided to redd up (as they say in Pennsylvania) this thread a bit by editing some of the titles of the individual posts, so they all have a consistent format now. It goes like this:

Michael question for Nemia
Nemia reading for Michael
Michael feedback for Nemiaa

There are always these three types of post in every reader/sitter interaction.

Further comments on any of the posts, no matter who is making them, should be labelled as in:

Re: Michael feedback for Nemia

(e.g., Nemia commenting back to me), or:

Re: Nemia reading for Michael

(if, let's say, 2dogs comments on Nemia's reading for me), etc.

Everything clear? (It might take some practice.)

Please let's try adhering to this format, it will make the thread much easier to follow, both for us now and future readers.

Thanks!

Your friendly moderator

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
DDwarks
Global Moderator

DDwarks' reading for 2dogs. feedback on Michael's feedback.

Post by DDwarks »

Regarding the 4 of Disks: its interesting that you felt it as "no fun" and I can certainly see it. The issue with *me* calling it this way is that "no fun" is the way my life goes!
I dont recognise it as such. It's normal practice in my world.
Its an interesting argument, one that I must work on in my own life in order to see it as a potential issue in other's.
Last edited by DDwarks on 29 Jul 2017, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Michael Sternbach
Founder

Re: DDwarks reading for 2dogs.reply to Michael's feedback

DDwarks wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 03:24 I dont mind at all!
I was hoping someone would chime in and give their own understanding of it.
Would you say, in all honesty please! - that my working of the cards is too RWS?
I ask because most of the time that's how it feels to me.
Frankly, I am not sure what an "RWS approach" would be. Everybody has their own understanding of the card meanings as well as their own reading style, no matter what deck they use.

But if that's the way it feels to you, fine... I suggest you try to work out the
subtle differences for you!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
CharlotteK

Re: For you Thothies out there...

Post by CharlotteK »

Michael Sternbach wrote:Hi all,

I decided to redd up (as they say in Pennsylvania) this thread a bit by editing some of the titles of the individual posts, so they all have a consistent format now. It goes like this:

Michael question for Nemia
Nemia reading for Michael
Michael feedback for Nemiaa

There are always these three types of post in every reader/sitter interaction.

Further comments on any of the posts, no matter who is making them, should be labelled as in:

Re: Michael feedback for Nemia

(e.g., Nemia commenting back to me), or:

Re: Nemia reading for Michael

(if, let's say, 2dogs comments on Nemia's reading for me), etc.

Everything clear? (It might take some practice.)

Please let's try adhering to this format, it will make the thread much easier to follow, both for us now and future readers.

Thanks!

Your friendly moderator
Hi this sounds sensible but only if using the full site. Titles don't appear on Tapatalk at all, only the text of the post. Might also want to head up the body text with the same headings if we are going to do everything on one thread?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
DDwarks
Global Moderator

Re: Michael reading for DDwarks. Feedback.

Post by DDwarks »

Michael Sternbach wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 15:44
DDwarks wrote: 22 Jul 2017, 05:57 What do I need to know about my decision to finally write *that* book?
I've been avoiding it for years!
Three cards without labelled positions.

Prince of Wands, Empress, 8 of Wands (Swiftness)

Summary: Lust
Shadow card: Art
Looking at the cards closely, the Prince of Wands and the Empress show quite a few parallels, but in an opposite manner. Both express openness of the heart though - thus, they serve as a vessel for creative forces.
Openess of the heart is a good description. I've felt "stuck" for some years now on a creative level. Deciding to do this makes me feel so much more at ease within myself.
With the Empress, this takes the form of contemplation in an internal (but perhaps also external) place of beauty. Find your sweet spot! Somewhere you feel home, safe, nurtured, and inspired.
Ah yes! Location location location!
There was this place when I was in my early 20's that just did it for me. I'm physically a long way from it now but internally, I remember it quite well.
The Prince of Wands however is in fast movement, pulled by a red lion. While the way the Empress holds her arms and white lotus symbolizes quiet susceptibility for artistic inspiration, the open arms and blazing flames of the Prince of Wands show his readiness to express what he has received freely and joyfully! He has the courage to do so - he doesn't let pedantic concerns hold him back.
Indeed! The time really has come!
Both of these energies are needed for your endeavor: Yin and yang, water and fire - in proper combination! In the union of these opposite approaches lies your hidden potential, which Art as the shadow card speaks to.
Controversial. A piece of writing that I hope will make one's ego and preconceptions jolt a little. So yes, water and fire in perfect combination!
Eight of Wands foretells the powerful creativity set free by this alchemical union, expressed by the coming together of two octahedra, issuing eight lightnings. Mind you, all three cards in the spread have some kind of bow on top; here it's a rainbow, all the colors of your being in harmonious assemblage as a result of the synthesis shown in Art (both that card and this one belong to Sagittarius). Swiftness let's you tell your story with no further procrastination - al you have to do is to get there!
Sounds great! By now (and judging by my past) procrastination would have taken hold already. Hasnt happened yet! Its given me the time and opportunity to work on the structure of the book.
This whole process is carried by Lust: The woman ecstatically riding the lion, receiving fiery inspiration from above in the cup she is holding up, unaffected by the wanly praying figures in the background that represent the overstated concerns that once held her back. The many faces of the lion again represent the various aspects of your being that long to come together in the writing of your book.
Overstated concerns: money!
I've spent a good number of years worrying about money and status. It's all I was driven by. Not for materialistic reasons but because to me, money equals security.
I've stepped down from a lot of work responsibilities so far this year. It hasnt been easy! That's Lust too.
I can't wait Michael!
Thank you very much indeed!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links