Hermetic Tarot by Godfrey Dowson

Moderator: theFeeLion

Squeaky

Post by Squeaky » 19 Dec 2018, 21:19

From the AT:
The Hermetic Tarot by Godfrey Dowson is a masterpiece. The tone of the deck and Dowson’s artwork invokes the full spectrum of powers within the tarot practitioner for spiritual divinatory work. As a Golden Dawn study deck, the card images are fundamentally focused on alchemical and astrological references, with the deck outfitted for theurgy. It can be integrated into personal rituals, meditations, and ceremonies and in fact is probably far better suited for such work than, say, the Marseille, Rider-Waite-Smith, or even the Thoth decks.
by Benebell Wen

Actually for those reasons, I thought I'd get it. People warned this can be a difficult deck to start with, but being a person who always bites more then he can chew(silly sqweewel) I had to.
A quick search gave no answers, though I'm sure this deck has been discussed and mentioned a number of times.
Out of sheer confusion, I shamelessly pose the question: how does a person who is rather new to the tarot and still kinda green about hermeticism tackle working with it? Beyond the Little White Book that is. Some cards are just wtf, LOL.
1) perhaps I should get my hands one of the obvious, legendary books like...I don't know the Kybalion? The Picatrix? and what not...
It's really hard to even tell if all those books are connected by the same symbolism to any greater extent, and even if I pick one, I don't think reading from cover to cover will get me going any soon so how about
2) a good article or a simple website that gives like the absolute essentials on the Golden Dawns symbolism or just you know, what would you say is a good place to start with?

Naturally I'm interested in hermeticism in general, but haven't really seriously studied anything besides Bardon.
I like papayas. I like apples. I like Agrippa too.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Re: Hermetic Tarot by Godfrey Dowson

Post by Charlie Brown » 20 Dec 2018, 02:22

Although not specific to the Hermetic deck, a good place for esoteric tarot is the Fortune's Wheelhouse podcast and its accompanying website. It's hosted by the woman who made the Tabula Mundi deck and the woman who recently published the big book about the various tarot correspondences. Actually, that book (t. susan chang) might be a good resource for that.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squeaky

Post by Squeaky » 20 Dec 2018, 07:06

Wow an hour talk on every card, that's what I'm talking about! haha, thanks. I could well listen to the appropriate one everyday after drawing my card of the day. Thanks!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Abrac

Post by Abrac » 23 Dec 2018, 12:49

I wouldn't get either of those books you mentioned. I'd start with the Golden Dawn and Eliphas Levi. Most of the symbolism derives from those two sources. Crowley's 777 might be helpful.

Awhile back I decided to check the geomantic intelligence names that are on most of the majors in Hebrew and found many misprints, wrong names on cards and some names omitted where there should be one. Most people would never know this or care but it's a shame it couldn't have been done right.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann » 23 Dec 2018, 19:26

Charlie Brown wrote:
20 Dec 2018, 02:22
Actually, that book (t. susan chang) might be a good resource for that.
I have this book and with the use of the Celestial Tarot, I am studying all that stuff. Its been a great book so far. The Celestial Tarot has all the symbolism and stuff on them...so maybe starting out with the Celestial Tarot.

here are some cards.

ImageImageImageImage

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squeaky

Post by Squeaky » 30 Dec 2018, 20:29

Abrac wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 12:49
I wouldn't get either of those books you mentioned. I'd start with the Golden Dawn and Eliphas Levi. Most of the symbolism derives from those two sources. Crowley's 777 might be helpful.

Awhile back I decided to check the geomantic intelligence names that are on most of the majors in Hebrew and found many misprints, wrong names on cards and some names omitted where there should be one. Most people would never know this or care but it's a shame it couldn't have been done right.
Oh then it's a shame! Are you refering to this particular deck?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Various Tarot Decks”