Court cards in the Tabula Mundi

Moderator: Michael Sternbach

Barleywine

Re: Court cards in the Tabula Mundi

Post by Barleywine »

Nemia wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 01:47 Barleywine, I'd love to know the other decks you think of as innovative and important even if it's OT here ;-)
I think I'll start a new thread on this topic.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

Thank you, that thread is great!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Re: Court cards in the Tabula Mundi - Prince of Cups

Post by Nemia »

We've started the third decan of Aquarius, and in every third decan, the ruling court card changes, foreshadowing the next zodiac sign's element. So while we're in Airy Aquarius, the Watery Prince * KNIGHT of Cups rules, anticipating the Watery sign of Pisces that comes next - soon!

M.M. Meleen publishes highly interesting articles about her court cards. Follow her the whole year, and you get a little book about the court cards. So now we have the Knight of Cups - so much information, very dense, very interesting. She really knows her stuff and it makes me appreciate her deck even more.

*my mistake!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

I will have to take a look. The Book of Thoth has been my go-to for decades for what Crowley terms the "moral characteristics" of the court cards. I'm curious though, since in the Golden Dawn/Thoth system, the Knight and not the Prince is associated with the third decan of Aquarius. The Prince/King of Cups is Libra-Scorpio. Here is Richard's old wheel of correspondences. I've been having an interesting conversation with Abrac and Andy on another forum about the whole "Knight/King/Prince" mess. It looks like the Tabula Mundi Knight and Prince follow the GD/Thoth model.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

It IS the Knight, I don't know why I wrote Prince!!!! Sorry! I even put the KING on my tarot board but somehow Parceval made me think of Prince :icon_redface: :icon_twisted: :icon_e_surprised:

But this whole Knight/King/Prince confusion is horrible!

The Tabula Mundi follows the Thoth.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

I've been doing my own "thumbnail" write-ups on all the court cards (I'm up to Princess of Cups now), in which I compare the GD, Waite and Thoth interpretations and then examine the three ways I think a court card can manifest in a reading: as other people, as characteristics or attitudes of the querent, or as impersonal forces at work in the matter. Since it's Thoth-based, I will have to see how it compares to what M did. (I do get a little whimsical, though; I call the RWS Page of Cups "Hamlet contemplating the scrod of Yorick.")

https://parsifalswheeldivination.com/20 ... g-of-cups/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

Ha, wonderful job! It goes together very well with Bill Butler's Dictionary of Tarot (that I bought after you recommended it).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Michael Sternbach
Founder

Post by Michael Sternbach »

Nemia wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 08:05 It IS the Knight, I don't know why I wrote Prince!!!! Sorry! I even put the KING on my tarot board but somehow Parceval made me think of Prince :icon_redface: :icon_twisted: :icon_e_surprised:

But this whole Knight/King/Prince confusion is horrible!

The Tabula Mundi follows the Thoth.
Indeed. That's why I wrote this article on my blog:

https://michaelsternbach.wordpress.com/ ... e-another/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

What came to light during my discussions with Abrac and Andy B on the other forum is that Mathers' original version of Liber T contained conflicting information. The table at the front lists Knight (Yod), Queen (He), King, aka "Prince" (Vau) and Knave, aka "Princess" (He final), while the text for the court cards has mounted King, enthroned Queen, "charioted" Prince (aka "Emperor") and standing Princess (aka "Empress"), with the Hebrew letter attributions in the same order. Andy thinks the "mounted King" idea came from the French tradition. So it looks like Crowley adhered to the GD table, just reinstating the Prince and Princess (thus, despite his apparent displeasure back in 1912, there was no real departure in the BoT), while Waite followed the text, just putting the King on a throne and substituting the medieval Knight and Page for the Prince and Princess. I think I can probably get more out of Michael's blog post than I did the first time around.

The Liber T description of the "forces" makes their interrelationship seem like a dysfunctional family: the impatient, ill-tempered father, the long-suffering, passive-aggressive mother, the "slacker" big brother and the bratty little sister.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

I just posted a roll-up of my impressions of this issue on my blog:

https://parsifalswheeldivination.com/20 ... -a-knight/

Link:
BBcode: