Printing and making a deck

For general questions and comments regarding the production and distribution of Indy decks.
SEELE-01

Printing and making a deck

Post by SEELE-01 »

Hello

I wanted to share with you the process I go through when I print my decks (every deck I've owned I have made from scratch)

So, first step, finding all the images from the same deck in good quality: this is probably the longest and most painstaking part of the process, because many sites only show 3-4 cards of the deck, except for decks like RWS or Marseilles, in public domain... From trademarked decks I generally buy the original and simply reproduce it for myself the way I'd like it, keeping the originals as back-up...
In this example, a RWS deck I'm making for my sister, whom just asked me to teach her cartomancy. I think this deck is perfect for a beginner because many of the older decks (like the Marseilles) don't have illustrated Minor Arcana...

Step two: after finding all the right images, I assemble the sheets in Corel...

...and then print them in high quality, thick photographic paper, this gives the cards a glossy finnish I really like, without making them slippery

I'll post the rest of the process later, as I just realized I ran out of X-acto blades...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
SEELE-01

Re: Printing and making a deck

Post by SEELE-01 »

As I was saying...

Cutting the cards (so to speak)

The backs aligned neatly with each of the fronts...

Half an hour later, the deck is ready! Unfortunately I made a small dent on the 4 of swords and 6 of pentacles, but those are hardly noticeable

The backs. I chose the mandala center because my sister likes those patterns

The entire deck is less than an inch (2.5 cm) thick. Unfortunately, because of the paper and the blade, the cards warped noticeably, so...

My old bookbinding press will do the trick for a few days... The first and last cards are some missprints I placed to keep marks from appearing on the good cards

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

Oh you're good at that - not even having gaps between the images to allow for a few mistakes :clap: . Have you made any mixed decks using your favourite cards from a mixture of sources?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
SEELE-01

Post by SEELE-01 »

2dogs wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 01:04 Have you made any mixed decks using your favourite cards from a mixture of sources?
Oh no, I find inconsistencies off-putting, the art of all the cards must be the same throughout the deck...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

Ah right. I was thinking of some old discussions of decks ruined by one awful card :icon_e_sad: .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

i see you posted way back in october, but wow, this is so cool!

thanks for posting the pics and process. it’s very helpful and inspiring — i just called fedex office to ask if they will print on thicker card stock as they only have 120lb and they said they would certainly try.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links