70 years ago today..

Discussions of the arcane symbols of Tarot and other decks
Forum rules
Symbols appear on each and every tarot card - visual signs that convey meaning. Some of them are highly individual and personal, others time-honored and traditional. Some are easy to understand, others difficult and multivalent. In this forum, we want to study symbols from different decks, traditions and cultures together using books, websites, lwbs and our own intuition.
Joan Marie

70 years ago today..

Post by Joan Marie » 01 Dec 2017, 09:33

Aleister Crowley shed his mortal coil on December 1, 1947 in the seaside town of Hastings England.

Anniversaries with zeros on them seem to incite more attention than those ending with 3's or 7's (although 5's seem to be held in high regard too) but one significant thing about a 70 year anniversary of the death of a writer and artist is it can often mean the end of a copyright on their work.

Could this mean an oncoming flurry of Crowley related publishings?

Has anyone heard of any expected such things?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Re: 70 years ago today..

Post by Nemia » 01 Dec 2017, 09:51

I didn't know that. I hope there will be more books about him - although there is already quite a lot. Do you know the book about his time in Berlin by Tobias Churton? I've always wanted to read it :-) but it's a bit too expensive...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 01 Dec 2017, 11:23

Oh if only our TV news would take a break from the remaining year of hundredth anniversaries of events in the Great War to tell us a bit about Crowley :icon_rolleyes: .
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie » 01 Dec 2017, 11:37

I've not read the Churton book. And you are right, there are all kinds of books about Crowley.

But there are also tons of publications by him, books of course, but also the periodicals.

I have a 5 volume set of bound editions from Equinox, the official publication of the Crowley’s A∴A∴ and OTO. The Bound volumes are published by Mandrake Publishing, the company he was part of.

I'm wondering if things like this, now that the copyright is probably expired (officially today) will go into reprint, maybe with some kind of scholarly analysis. It's interesting to think that if all of this work becomes public domain, what are people going to do with it? Will there be a rise in interest in the work if it becomes widely available? How will it be interpreted (or misinterpreted) by a new audience?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 01 Dec 2017, 11:44

I believe copyrights actually expire on the following 1 January.
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 01 Dec 2017, 11:46

At which point any searches for Crowley on Amazon or ABEbooks will return 100 pages of print on demands.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 02 Dec 2017, 00:10

2dogs wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 11:23
Oh if only our TV news would take a break from the remaining year of hundredth anniversaries of events in the Great War to tell us a bit about Crowley :icon_rolleyes: .
As someone living in the U.S. (and Southern California no less) I did a double take to make sure I read that right. The idea that TV news would cover any WWI anniversaries gives me a delightful chuckle. They won't even cover the wars that are happening right now. I am, however, pretty much the only one of my acquaintances who knew who Meghan Markle was before she got involved with Prince Harry. Suits is kind of my favorite show.

ETA: 2Dogs, I'm guessing you're in Britain. Do they show Suits over there?
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 02 Dec 2017, 01:03

Charlie Brown wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 00:10
2dogs wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 11:23
I am, however, pretty much the only one of my acquaintances who knew who Meghan Markle was before she got involved with Prince Harry. Suits is kind of my favorite show.

ETA: 2Dogs, I'm guessing you're in Britain. Do they show Suits over there?
Bah, even last week's anniversary of the first use of tanks was better than thousands of people lining the streets of Nottingham going "ooh isn't she lovely, she picked a thing up that someone dropped and met a barn owl" :icon_rolleyes: . I expect Suits will be on pay TV in Britain but we find enough documentaries and crime dramas on BBC and the other free channels.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 02 Dec 2017, 09:53

Mrs 2dogs took the TV guide out of today's paper and threw the rest in the bin so whether there was any mention of Crowley in what few pages were left after the 20 page photo souvenir of Miss Markle will remain a mystery. From what I have heard though he appears to have made a very determined effort to discover and follow his own true path in life, thoroughly studied the subjects he was really interested in, had plenty of exciting adventures and wasn't put off by anyone else so good for him :thumbup: .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 02 Dec 2017, 11:28

2dogs wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 09:53
the 20 page photo souvenir of Miss Markle
:icon_e_surprised: @onion8@ :icon_e_surprised:

Y'all know how to live over there. I remember you also once got a Prince CD included in every paper before a big stint of shows he did at the O2
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “History & Symbolism”